Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

12 hours ago, sfred said:

Mrs. sfred and I were there many years ago on a WA driving trip from Perth to the Margaret River area, Albany, Esperance, Kalgoorlie, and back to Perth.  

I like the sound of that itinerary. Excluding Perth itself, what would that be? About ten days? (5 days driving and 5 days at various stops)

Already thinking about our next trip Down Under.

8 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Well done @sfred😀! Sadly I haven't been to Mahajanga!!

I have been to this place though, which is a destination for some larger lines (as per photographed RCCL). Diamonds International are there for heaven's sake - so must surely prove to be a Cunard port?? The first 2 photos are tricky, but plenty of clues in the last. Bon chance.

P1000737.JPG

P1000741.JPG

P1000743.JPG

P1000814.JPG

I believe this is Coxen Hole, Roatan, Honduras

enhance

If Cunard has called here, it would be before Carnival built Mahogany Bay, just up the coast.  EM

9 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I like the sound of that itinerary. Excluding Perth itself, what would that be? About ten days? (5 days driving and 5 days at various stops)

Already thinking about our next trip Down Under.

That WA driving trip was way back in 1996, so I imagine the towns have changed a bit over the years, but we remember it as a fun interesting drive.  We only had a week, with work being a lot busier back then.  We flew into Perth on a Saturday arriving midday, hired the car, and returned the following Sunday, for about eight days all up.  Your thought of 10 days would probably be better.  The circular drive is around 2,000km in total, although you make good time in between the widely spaced towns, especially on the outback desert stretches between Esperance and Kalgoorlie, and Kalgoorlie and Perth. 

We're dreaming similar thoughts for our next trip back to the UK.  It has been too long away from the countryside and a proper pint in a country pub.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I believe this is Coxen Hole, Roatan, Honduras

enhance

If Cunard has called here, it would be before Carnival built Mahogany Bay, just up the coast.  EM

Congratulations @Essiesmom. On our itinerary it just says Roatan - so a bonus point for Coxen Hole. And another 'well done' to @bluemarble for correctly identifying the ship as Seabourn Legend. If a Cunard ship has visited either Mahogany Bay or Coxen Hole then I guess this would tick-off the island of Roatan?

9 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

... If a Cunard ship has visited either Mahogany Bay or Coxen Hole then I guess this would tick-off the island of Roatan?

Sadly I'm coming up empty trying to find a reference to Roatan being a Cunard port after several hours of searching. That includes searches for Coxen Hole and Mahogany Bay in addition to searches for Roatan as well as Honduras ports in general.

In the process of checking those though, I have found a few more Cunard ports. Many of these are pretty obscure, but others look like possible candidates for places some of you might have visited. One or two of these may be "cruise by" calls. The itineraries I found don't indicate that.

Abaco, Bahamas (Crown Jewel, 1994)

Anavilhanas Archipelago, Brazil (Sea Goddess I, 1994)

Galapagos Islands (Sagafjord, 1993)

Labadie Shores, Haiti (Crown Monarch, 1993)

Montserrat (Sagafjord, 1990)

Muara, Brunei (Sagafjord, 1990)

Palm Beach, Florida (Crown Jewel & Crown Monarch, 1993)

Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala (Crown Monarch, 1993)

15 hours ago, sfred said:

As we are temporarily out of new port photos, how about another historical picture.  These nautical-themed buildings are still with us today.

image.png.7c9fe5dcdc22c269b20aa2fe9fd80a85.png

OK, I feel officially daft about this one since I do have a photo of this port. First of all, this is the Harbour Commissioners Harbour Office in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Now here's a photo of mine taken a short distance away from "Titanic Belfast" at the site of the Harland and Wolff shipyard. It was taken during a land tour of Ireland, not during a cruise, which is my feeble excuse for not remembering I had it.

509044047_WhereintheWorld(77).thumb.jpg.a803ba5a4395c2e67c87024e6dc6d8b1.jpg

Bonus points for identifying the cruise ship in this photo. Here's a portion of the photo showing the ship at full resolution to assist with the identification.

578412556_WhereintheWorld(77a).jpg.68465379076f4dff66270d3aac6f190d.jpg

The date of my photo is July 20, 2017. According to an itinerary I found, this cruise ship was supposed to be at sea between Scrabster, Scotland and Liverpool on that day. Apparently there was a change of schedule that brought her to Belfast instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

OK, I feel officially daft about this one since I do have a photo of this port. First of all, this is the Harbour Commissioners Harbour Office in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Now here's a photo of mine taken a short distance away from "Titanic Belfast" at the site of the Harland and Wolff shipyard. It was taken during a land tour of Ireland, not during a cruise, which is my feeble excuse for not remembering I had it.

509044047_WhereintheWorld(77).thumb.jpg.a803ba5a4395c2e67c87024e6dc6d8b1.jpg

Bonus points for identifying the cruise ship in this photo. Here's a portion of the photo showing the ship at full resolution to assist with the identification.

578412556_WhereintheWorld(77a).jpg.68465379076f4dff66270d3aac6f190d.jpg

The date of my photo is July 20, 2017. According to an itinerary I found, this cruise ship was supposed to be at sea between Scrabster, Scotland and Liverpool on that day. Apparently there was a change of schedule that brought her to Belfast instead.

@bluemarble John - I believe that's Boudicca of the Fred Olsen line, formerly MV Royal Viking Sky and several other names/lines between 1973 build and last month when she was beached and broken-up in Alang. A sad end for a classically-lined ship☹️

Well done to @bluemarblefor both the port identification and an original photo contribution, and to @Palmeatfor the ship ID.. The historical photo is of course Belfast, and the centre building is the Harbour Commissioners Office, built in 1847.  The ground floor of the building is currently used as office accommodation, and the upper floors for business meetings, including the Commissioners’ monthly board meetings.  An excellent PDF with pictures and descriptions of the various rooms can be downloaded at their web site:

https://www.belfast-harbour.co.uk/search/?s=harbour+commissioners+office&page=2

Further down the street from the Commissioners office is the Sinclair Seamans Presbyterian church.  Opened in 1857, the church was built in memory of John Sinclair, a Belfast businessman.  The  congregation performed mission work among seamen arriving in the Port of Belfast.

Here is a modern public domain photo of the two buildings, taken from a similar spot to the historical photo.  Very little has changed.

image.thumb.png.ef346fdb81649cd0c0b6dd2f4be113d7.png

Edited by sfred

Another large capital city not on the list but could have been visited by Cunard? As it's harder to identify ports not on the list I'm offering 4 photos jam-packed with clues😀. So, where is it, and is it one of 'ours'? Bon chance.

IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4968.JPG

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

Another large capital city not on the list but could have been visited by Cunard? As it's harder to identify ports not on the list I'm offering 4 photos jam-packed with clues😀. So, where is it, and is it one of 'ours'? Bon chance.

IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4968.JPG

Ah. This is Maputo.

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

Another large capital city not on the list but could have been visited by Cunard? ..., and is it one of 'ours'?

It is "one of ours".

The first entry I just found is the Franconia visiting in 1929.

The tricky part might be that the town's name used to be Lourenço Marques.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, carlmm said:

It is "one of ours".

Well  done @carlmm. It is indeed Maputo. Also congratulations on identifying a Cunard visit in 1929 (I wasn't aboard then!😀) and the former name of Lourenco Marques. One for @bluemarble to add to the list. Very satisfying all round.

Edited by Palmeat

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

Ah. This is Maputo.

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

It is "one of ours".

Great to get another new confirmed Cunard port for our list. Thanks for that research.

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Not one of my photos I'm afraid, but I have been aboard a ship at this place. It's on the list.

tilbury-cruise-terminal.jpg

Something tells me this one might be Tilbury, England.

OK, that something is the attachment's file name: "tilbury-cruise-terminal.jpg". 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Something tells me this one might be Tilbury, England.

OK, that something is the attachment's file name: "tilbury-cruise-terminal.jpg". 😉

Possibly my best clue ever - if not intended!! Correct @bluemarble, Tilbury it is. Will try harder to be more obscure next time😀

Apologies for the temporary absence on this particular thread and congratulations to those who have ticked yet more ports off the list. 

I have a visited a number of the remains places though due to time lapsed I'm struggling to find photographs. Anyway, here's one such place, albeit of a more personal nature, that my wife and I visited in 2005. My view is that it'll be a bonus to get it ticked off...

770908196_WhereintheWorld118.thumb.jpg.dc287aca7659a815eb7aaafb4992967b.jpg

20 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Apologies for the temporary absence on this particular thread and congratulations to those who have ticked yet more ports off the list. 

I have a visited a number of the remains places though due to time lapsed I'm struggling to find photographs. Anyway, here's one such place, albeit of a more personal nature, that my wife and I visited in 2005. My view is that it'll be a bonus to get it ticked off...

770908196_WhereintheWorld118.thumb.jpg.dc287aca7659a815eb7aaafb4992967b.jpg

There's clues in the script and on the beach, they just need matching up. 😈

4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

There's clues in the script and on the beach, they just need matching up. 😈

@Solent Ɍichard - not been able to identify this place yet Richard. Assuming the clues relate to the date of your visit shortly after the devastating Tsunami at the end of 2004? Can't currently link 'bonus...and ticked off' with far eastern ports on the list - if indeed that was an additional clue. Will keep trying, but any additional help appreciated! Peter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

@Solent Ɍichard - not been able to identify this place yet Richard. Assuming the clues relate to the date of your visit shortly after the devastating Tsunami at the end of 2004? Can't currently link 'bonus...and ticked off' with far eastern ports on the list - if indeed that was an additional clue. Will keep trying, but any additional help appreciated! Peter

I think you're doing pretty well without any more help Peter. 

Though maybe an elephant could lend you a hand. 😀