Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

5 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think what I'll do is add "London (Greenwich), England" to our port list to take care of @Colin_Cameron's latest contribution. I'm also inclined to treat Tilbury as a separate port and keep it on the unseen port list.

Good plan @bluemarble - Tilbury is a few miles out from Greenwich. May I apologise to Richard @Solent Ɍichard for stealing his limelight. Let the record show he enjoyed first mention of Greenwich!😀

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Palmeat said:

To keep us chugging along, here are another couple from 'The List'

IMG_8069.JPG

18 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Well, I've identified the ship. Now I just need to work out the port. It looks like somewhere on the west coast of Scotland.😄

While looking for @Palmeat's second photo, I found this port instead.  Lemnos, Greece.  Photo perhaps taken from Myrina Castle, on the other side of the port entrance from the Saint Nicholas Chapel which is visible in the photo on the hill overlooking the ferry wharf.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

While looking for @Palmeat's second photo, I found this port instead.  Lemnos, Greece.  ...

While looking at @Palmeat's second photo, I had a bit of a  deju vu moment after having tried unsuccessfully a few days ago to prove another photo with red-roofed buildings was this port. As it happens, I think this is the port that immediately followed Lemnos alphabetically in our latest unseen ports list.

20 hours ago, Palmeat said:

IMG_0349.JPG

I think this one is Les Saintes, Guadeloupe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sfred said:

While looking for @Palmeat's second photo, I found this port instead.  Lemnos, Greece.  Photo perhaps taken from Myrina Castle, on the other side of the port entrance from the Saint Nicholas Chapel which is visible in the photo on the hill overlooking the ferry wharf.

Congratulations @sfred🌟 - Lemnos it is. The attached view shows the town, correctly identified by you as taken from Myrina Castle.

IMG_8030.JPG

50 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

While looking at @Palmeat's second photo, I had a bit of a  deju vu moment after having tried unsuccessfully a few days ago to prove another photo with red-roofed buildings was this port. As it happens, I think this is the port that immediately followed Lemnos alphabetically in our latest unseen ports list.

I think this one is Les Saintes, Guadeloupe.

Well done @bluemarble - it is indeed Les Saintes. The alphabetical listing was entirely co-incidental. Please don't think I have a photo of Lizard Island!😀

This location is a little trickier - largely due to my uninformative photos. These 3 photos are from the same place. The island is on the list. My Seabourn cruise itinerary from 2014 tells me we were there on this date - but the daily ship's programme shows a different name of the port vs the list (but the same island). Sometimes, itineraries vary en route due to weather/tendering issues etc but I really can't remember, so I'm not sure if this will count. Maybe half a point for the island?😀

GOPR0135.JPG

GOPR0140.JPG

IMG_9213.JPG

15 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.😂 

The port I originally had in mind was simply London. Many Cunard ships called this home over the years which was why I called it a ‘glaring omission’. When I went looking for a photo that didn’t contain Tower Bridge, or the London Eye, or the Houses of Parliament, or Big Ben, or ... this was the best I could come up with. Which was quite apt since I knew that RVS had been there both before and during her Cunard life. When she visited in her Cunard guise she went as far as Tower Bridge for a photo op, but I don’t know if she went through, or is capable of doing so. Sea Goddess I passed through Tower Bridge both before and after her Cunard life, but not during. There is a photo of a Sea Goddess in Cunard livery passing under the bridge in the 150th anniversary history of the line and although you can’t make out the name it would have to be SGII. (I’ll scan it when I get home)

There are numerous photos online of old Cunard ships at the George V dock, roughly where the south side of the runway at London City Airport is now. I think it’s close enough to Greenwich to call it the same port. I think Tilbury is far enough away to qualify as a separate port but happy to hear other opinions.

And lastly, congratulations to @Palmeat and an honourable mention to @Solent Ɍichard

Well er, yes @Colin_Cameron. In my defence I double checked through the current list of 'not yet' identified ports and only 'Tilbury' appeared. Hence my 'bagging'.

Still, it got the conversation going which ain't such a bad thing. 😁

If I'd posted this for London I don't think it would have challenged anyone.

But I was wrong when I said this must be SGII. It looks like I misread a Seadream press release.

The text further down the page says this is SGI.

042a.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/29/2021 at 12:29 PM, Essiesmom said:

This is a port on the list, for your perusal:

enhance

On 5/29/2021 at 1:27 PM, Essiesmom said:

I think this the last one for me.

enhance

Let's not forget these two port photos from this past Saturday. I don't believe they have been solved yet. I suspect we could all use some hints for these two @Essiesmom. They have me stumped.

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Let's not forget these two port photos from this past Saturday. I don't believe they have been solved yet. I suspect we could all use some hints for these two @Essiesmom. They have me stumped.

Well, they are both in the Caribbean...for the second one, I don’t believe the port is the tourist attraction.  Which is why I don’t have any other pics of the port...  EM

While we work on the tropical island pictures from @Palmeatand @Essiesmom, I was inspired by @Palmeat's recent post to obtain the below photo.  Mrs. sfred and I were there several decades ago, when it was merely expensive rather than the "you've got to be joking" prices of more recent times.  We went by propeller plane rather than ship, and I was surprised to see it on the list of unseen Cunard ports.  Our trip was long before phone cameras and I don't have any photos from our voyage, but I have a mate in commercial real estate, and he kindly sent me this picture with permission to use it here.

image.png.f55cca257d0804791453b13b659cda9c.png

Edited by sfred

enhance

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, they are both in the Caribbean...for the second one, I don’t believe the port is the tourist attraction.  Which is why I don’t have any other pics of the port...  EM

Without much to go on, I'll have a wild guess and try Kingston, Jamaica?  The industrial facility might be the Caribbean Cement Company.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

enhance

Without much to go on, I'll have a wild guess and try Kingston, Jamaica?  The industrial facility might be the Caribbean Cement Company.

Sorry, no.  Here is another view:

enhance

And a view of the town that is not the port, but the main tourist attraction:

enhance

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

... And a view of the town that is not the port, but the main tourist attraction:

enhance

OK, this one I can find. 🙂 Seeing a vehicle with the US National Park Service emblem on its door helped a lot. The building at the right with that Park Service vehicle in front of it is the Scale House in Christiansted, St Croix. That means the port from our unseen Cunard port list would be Frederiksted, St Croix.

On 5/29/2021 at 1:27 PM, Essiesmom said:

I think this the last one for me.

enhance

Working from there, this first photo may be showing the Limetree Bay refinery and terminal on St Croix.

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

OK, this one I can find. 🙂 Seeing a vehicle with the US National Park Service emblem on its door helped a lot. The building at the right with that Park Service vehicle in front of it is the Scale House in Christiansted, St Croix. That means the port from our unseen Cunard port list would be Frederiksted, St Croix.

Working from there, this first photo may be showing the Limetree Bay refinery and terminal on St Croix.

Yes, that's one down...

On 5/29/2021 at 12:29 PM, Essiesmom said:

This is a port on the list, for your perusal:

enhance

17 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, they are both in the Caribbean...

Oh, wow, this one wasn't that hard after all! I didn't think it was going to be, but for some reason it had me puzzled. It did help to be able to concentrate on the Caribbean, although I had already spent several hours trying to prove this was Les Saintes. It isn't of course, but it isn't too difficult to find this scene once you start looking at the correct port. I've used my guess for today, but wanted to offer encouragement to our other intrepid searches that this one is solvable given only what's in this scene.

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I was using the park service vehicle as a clue also, but thought that it led to Ponce, Puerto Rico.  I obviously couldn't match any buildings or find the industrial facility.  I did see lots of attractive older buidlings in Ponce, many multi-coloured like St. Croix.

On 6/3/2021 at 7:56 PM, Essiesmom said:

enhance

Here are some others that probably won't help much, either.  But most of the others are dead giveaway. ...

After indicating yesterday I had finally figured this one out, here's what I've found. I think this photo is showing us the Milford Road Esplanade on the western side of the port area of Scarborough, Tobago.

I suspect one of the reasons most of the other photos @Essiesmom has are a dead giveaway is because to the right of this photo, closer to the pier, I think you'll find a conspicuous red terminal building with the words "WELCOME TO THE PORT OF SCARBOROUGH" painted in large white letters on its roof.

As a bonus, this represents another port name double seen on this thread, this one forming a pair with Scarborough, England which we've previously seen here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

After indicating yesterday I had finally figured this one out, here's what I've found. I think this photo is showing us the Milford Road Esplanade on the western side of the port area of Scarborough, Tobago.

I suspect one of the reasons most of the other photos @Essiesmom has are a dead giveaway is because to the right of this photo, closer to the pier, I think you'll find a conspicuous red terminal building with the words "WELCOME TO THE PORT OF SCARBOROUGH" painted in large white letters on its roof.

As a bonus, this represents another port name double seen on this thread, this one forming a pair with Scarborough, England which we've previously seen here.

Yes, indeed.  As I said, the others would be a giveaway...

enhance

enhance

Also, googling this ferry would have led you here...

enhance

enhance

enhance

Now I need to revisit the unfound ports list to see if there is any port I have missed...  EM

Good morning @sfred. Just a note to say I'll be identifying your latest port photo tomorrow if no one else figures it out before then. I had that one identified pretty soon after you posted it Thursday even though I had no idea what the place looked like beforehand.

To offer some encouragement to those that might still be interested in working on it, I'll make the observation that @sfred did provide us all with a giveaway hint in what he posted along with that photo.

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

enhance

Obviously, not the Caribbean...  EM

I was hoping I could ID this port as Whittier Alaska, but I can't get any of the buildings to match.  And our other unseen Alaska ports, Homer and Wrangell, don't seem to match geographically.   I have to go out with the wife to enjoy a sunny warm Sunday, so I'll circle back to this later.