Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

22 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That is interesting to see a former Cunard ship made it to Fiskardo, isn't it? Perhaps she made it there as a Sea Goddess or perhaps another Cunard ship made it there, but so far I've been unable to confirm that.

I'll add Fiskardo to the list of ports we've seen so far, and for now I'll footnote it as an unconfirmed Cunard port (similar to Richards Bay where the best I could do was find a call by the ex-Sagafjord). Maybe someone else here can confirm a Cunard ship called at Fiskardo while it was a Cunard ship.

I'll also add Argostoli to the list of Cunard ports we haven't seen here yet. That's the Cephalonia port I can confirm has been visited by a Cunard ship.

Perhaps now is a good time for me to post the updated port lists. Here is what I have as of now for the list of ports we've seen on this thread and the list of Cunard ports we haven't seen here yet. Of course the port photos that are yet to be identified are still on the unseen ports list. Truth be told, I'm struggling with all three of those as-yet unidentified photos.

Where in the World 2021-05-31.txt 8.95 kB · 4 downloads

Cunard ports not seen yet 2021-05-31.txt 6.3 kB · 6 downloads

Do you need a photo of Argostoli with a Cunard ship on it? I have plenty of these photos. Also, Fiscardo has not been visited by a Cunard ship but Sami (Kefalonia) has, by the old MV Queen Elizabeth 2! If I manage to find a photo I'll post it here!

Edited by SummmerInKefalonia

29 minutes ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Do you need a photo of Argostoli with a Cunard ship on it? I have plenty of these photos. Also, Fiscardo has not been visited by a Cunard ship but Sami (Kefalonia) has, by the old MV Queen Elizabeth 2! If I manage to find a photo I'll post it here!

21 minutes ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

480267541_queenelizabeth2kefaloniasami.jpg.2cf0da8c540185f91c63bc3b4b64f868.jpg

Queen Elizabeth 2 in Sami (Kefalonia) in 2007 I think.

Thanks for your contributions, @SummmerInKefalonia. Go ahead and post a photo of a Cunard ship in Argostoli if you'd like. Always good to see a Cunard ship in one of our port photos.

We can now add Sami to the ports we've seen on this thread. The QE2 itineraries I have show she called at Sami on 11 May 2018 and the subsequent youtube video you posted bears that out.

I'm learning some geography from this thread if nothing else. Our list of unseen Cunard ports simply lists "Sami, Greece" by virtue of how it's indicated in the QE2 itineraries.  Now I've learned Sami is another port on the island of Cephalonia/Kefalonia.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Thanks for your contributions, @SummmerInKefalonia. Go ahead and post a photo of a Cunard ship in Argostoli if you'd like. Always good to see a Cunard ship in one of our port photos.

We can now add Sami to the ports we've seen on this thread. The QE2 itineraries I have show she called at Sami on 11 May 2018 and the subsequent youtube video you posted bears that out.

I'm learning some geography from this thread if nothing else. Our list of unseen Cunard ports simply lists "Sami, Greece" by virtue of how it's indicated in the QE2 itineraries.  Now I've learned Sami is another port on the island of Cephalonia/Kefalonia.

2008 you mean?

7 minutes ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

2008 you mean?

Yes, quite right. My mistake. That would be 11 May 2008 for QE's call at Sami. QE2 wasn't calling anywhere in 2018. She was preparing to finally open as a floating hotel in Dubai after languishing there since late 2008.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

I still have this one outstanding from Sunday. Clue - the capital of an archipelago. Densely populated - c140,000 residents in 6.8 sq kms.

IMG_5906.JPG

That just confirmed my initial guess, but I still struggled to place the photo.

I think the island in the foreground is Vihamanaafushi, with Hulhule Island behind it, just to the north on the airport. The port we are looking at is Male, Maldives.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I think the island in the foreground is Vihamanaafushi, with Hulhule Island behind it, just to the north on the airport. The port we are looking at is Male, Maldives.

Well done @Colin_Cameron - Male, Maldives is correct  -  with extra kudos for the additional info (which was new to me!!😀).

28 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

To keep us chugging along, here are another couple from 'The List'

IMG_8069.JPG

Well, I've identified the ship. Now I just need to work out the port. It looks like somewhere on the west coast of Scotland.😄

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

That is one amazing take Colin. I've looked at Google map Male three times in the last 24 hours and couldn't narrow it down. Well done you Sir.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I don't think I'm giving anything away if I say this is another river port.

042.JPG

I probably should exclude myself from this one but what the heck, as a past resident at the Royal Naval College Greenwich...

1825107464_SDFullCourseGreenwichSolentRichard.thumb.jpg.f76ef448c24d4a0d6cc0a1055b44efea.jpg

... I'm going to bag Tilbury, England

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

I probably should exclude myself from this one but what the heck, as a past resident at the Royal Naval College Greenwich...

1825107464_SDFullCourseGreenwichSolentRichard.thumb.jpg.f76ef448c24d4a0d6cc0a1055b44efea.jpg

Oh! So Close.👎☹️

On 5/29/2021 at 11:38 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

I have a couple of additions for the next version of the unseen list. First is the port of Sevastopol, which I spotted in a Royal Viking Sun brochure from 1997. The second is a port/city that I have visited many times and have lots of photos of (I'm sure many of us have). I'm just trying to find one that isn't so obvious. So I'll keep that one to myself for now. ...

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

52 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Oh! So Close.👎☹️

Oh, I think I understand now. Is this is the second port not on our unseen port list that you were keeping to yourself? I did find a postcard of Royal Viking Sun here, but I don't know the date for that. Is that the Cunard ship you have for this port as well?

7 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, I think I understand now. Is this is the second port not on our unseen port list that you were keeping to yourself? I did find a postcard of Royal Viking Sun here, but I don't know the date for that. Is that the Cunard ship you have for this port as well?

@Colin_Cameron - I'm going to sneak in under the cover of confusion and identify this port (not on the list) as Greenwich, England😀

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.😂 

The port I originally had in mind was simply London. Many Cunard ships called this home over the years which was why I called it a ‘glaring omission’. When I went looking for a photo that didn’t contain Tower Bridge, or the London Eye, or the Houses of Parliament, or Big Ben, or ... this was the best I could come up with. Which was quite apt since I knew that RVS had been there both before and during her Cunard life. When she visited in her Cunard guise she went as far as Tower Bridge for a photo op, but I don’t know if she went through, or is capable of doing so. Sea Goddess I passed through Tower Bridge both before and after her Cunard life, but not during. There is a photo of a Sea Goddess in Cunard livery passing under the bridge in the 150th anniversary history of the line and although you can’t make out the name it would have to be SGII. (I’ll scan it when I get home)

There are numerous photos online of old Cunard ships at the George V dock, roughly where the south side of the runway at London City Airport is now. I think it’s close enough to Greenwich to call it the same port. I think Tilbury is far enough away to qualify as a separate port but happy to hear other opinions.

And lastly, congratulations to @Palmeat and an honourable mention to @Solent Ɍichard

• Like 2