Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Okay, my early bird prediction (best guess) is that this is most probably Hamilton Bermuda, certainly a port of call for Celebrity Zenith in 1998 and hopefully I've matched it against the right hand tower of 'Sessions House'.

Yes, this is Hamilton, Bermuda.  We were there on Zenith in 2006.  We docked there first for two days, then traded places with NCL Crown and went to St. George's.  

enhance

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Another one to sink your teeth into...

enhance

I'm having trouble identifying most of the remaining photos. I do have a theory about @sfred's latest, but that's going to require some more research.

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and identify this one as Savannah, Georgia. My research tells me this fountain is a memorial to ships that were namesakes of this city.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I'm having trouble identifying most of the remaining photos. I do have a theory about @sfred's latest, but that's going to require some more research.

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and identify this one as Savannah, Georgia. My research tells me this fountain is a memorial to ships that were namesakes of this city.

You are correct.  EM

• Like 1

Congratulations @bluemarble on that Savannah photograph. There was me early this morning checking out European rivers for that. 😁

Maybe I'd better add another clue to the one of mine that is outstanding, plus add another for the weekend. So here's the second clue along with the original...

2021723339_WhereintheWorld97.jpg.0cc53856f28e82e1b4fd18e7306fa4a0.jpg725485716_WhereintheWorld96.jpg.0326412358ddc22e490ab2f1b0321962.jpg

And a new one as I'm scheduled a very sociable day out  tomorrow...

651712513_WhereintheWorld74.jpg.c3b44ce6c99830417f43770bedeecc7b.jpg

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I had Savannah too, but needed to wait for morning here in Australia for another turn, after guessing @Solent Richard's Key West photo yesterday.  Well done, @bluemarble.  I've stayed at the Savannah Hyatt that is a few hundred meters down the street from the ship sculpture.

It may be time for a hint on my recent photo.  Wood chip pile (not in Kansas, as in @Colin_Cameron's post 3062).

Edited by sfred

15 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Congratulations @sfred with that clever link. It certainly is Key West,  Florida.

I'd had tossed up which would be the easier of the town's statues to identify and those guys won over the more prominent...

1288942649_WhereintheWorld85.jpg.15bdd42b8c3bbbcff6f719b6e2999e16.jpg

😄😄

Interesting perspective on art!  🙂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sfred said:

It may be time for a hint on my recent photo.  Wood chip pile (not in Kansas, as in @Colin_Cameron's post 3062).

Yeah, I think I figured out that wood chip port a couple hours ago. At first I thought it was another wood chip facility at a port that's not in New York (more about that obscure reference later), but I couldn't quite get that one to work. Now I'm pretty sure it's a port about 1400 NM from there but still in the same country. All will be revealed in about seven more hours (when it's tomorrow my time) if no one else figures it out before then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

At first I thought it was another wood chip facility at a port that's not in New York

You are correct --- it is not Albany (NY or otherwise).  🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

2021723339_WhereintheWorld97.jpg.0cc53856f28e82e1b4fd18e7306fa4a0.jpg

This, and the hint photo, look a lot like Vietnam, but I'm afraid I can't find a match to the green railings with orange'ish concrete posts.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:11 AM, sfred said:

Here's a port photo courtesy of some friends.  I have been to this port on QE, but unfortunately did not think to take any photos.  We were traveling with some mates, and I asked them a few weeks' back if they had something that I could share here.  They thoughtfully sent me the below.

image.png.c0d1828d736e14b402bf7a4f4525185e.png

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

At first I thought it was another wood chip facility at a port that's not in New York ...

3 hours ago, sfred said:

You are correct --- it is not Albany (NY or otherwise).  🙂

Good job picking up on my "not in New York" reference. Albany, Western Australia (not the one that's the capital of New York) has a woodchip facility at its port. I spent quite a while trying unsuccessfully to match it to this photo before looking elsewhere yesterday afternoon.

The port I found that does work as a match to the photo is Burnie, Tasmania.

One place I found a good match was in an interesting article from Burnie's newspaper (The Advocate) titled "TasPorts on why Burnie's infamous woodchip pile might be good for the cruise ship industry." That article quotes the TasPorts chief executive saying cruise operators "get positive feedback from cruise passengers about the fact that they can see the woodchip pile".

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The port I found that does work as a match to the photo is Burnie, Tasmania.

Absolutely correct, @bluemarble.  The famous wood chip pile in Burnie is located adjacent to the cruise ship pier.  QE has called at Burnie several times while based in Australia, and this particular occasion was on 18 February 2019 on a short weekend break, Melbourne-Burnie-Sydney, that we took with some friends from Melbourne. 

• Like 1

Good morning. I'm back from a cold and damp UK staycation - and you've all been very busy with a number of my planned submissions now ticked off the list. Here are a couple of new ones which shouldn't prove too taxing.

IMG_8305.JPG

L1030588.JPG

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning @sfred. Your getting warmer, I can offer another photograph to help...

327654135_WhereintheWorld98.thumb.jpg.d2dd5aee104b2958c858cd1ed112cb2f.jpg

Richard - I agree with @sfred this looks a lot like Vietnam. I'll take a stab at Haiphong. Look forward to being wrong, as usual!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Richard - I agree with @sfred this looks a lot like Vietnam. I'll take a stab at Haiphong. Look forward to being wrong, as usual!

Congratulations @Palmeat , they were all taken while I was in Haiphong. I thought the State of the female General Le Chan would have been too much of a giveaway...

7027423_LeChanStatueHaiphongcopy.thumb.jpg.9798889df0c1cf0d6f85c92438e0d2cb.jpg

2 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Congratulations @Palmeat , they were all taken while I was in Haiphong. I thought the State of the female General Le Chan would have been too much of a giveaway...

Huh...   I looked at Haiphong, thinking that several of the straight stretches of canal or river were good candidates.  But I was never able to find the green and orange railings.  Perhaps they have been replaced sometime between your visit and current google street view images.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sfred said:

Huh...   I looked at Haiphong, thinking that several of the straight stretches of canal or river were good candidates.  But I was never able to find the green and orange railings.  Perhaps they have been replaced sometime between your visit and current google street view images.

I'd guess they have had not only a new paint job but also a clean up around the area @sfred...

1569681836_HaiphongRiverscene.thumb.jpg.de25a911f11d036d0ca00537690b027f.jpg

...and the Nhà Hát Lớn Tp Hải Phòng (Opera House) ...

1499319910_HaiphongOperaHouseNhaHatLonTpHaiPhongcopy.thumb.jpg.5a196eb3b48696d31b915e473a5aa2b7.jpg

...as I was there in 2004 on a private 'Battlefield' Tour. 🤙

Edited by Solent Richard

17 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Congratulations @bluemarble on that Savannah photograph. There was me early this morning checking out European rivers for that. 😁

Maybe I'd better add another clue to the one of mine that is outstanding, plus add another for the weekend. So here's the second clue along with the original...

2021723339_WhereintheWorld97.jpg.0cc53856f28e82e1b4fd18e7306fa4a0.jpg725485716_WhereintheWorld96.jpg.0326412358ddc22e490ab2f1b0321962.jpg

And a new one as I'm scheduled a very sociable day out  tomorrow...

651712513_WhereintheWorld74.jpg.c3b44ce6c99830417f43770bedeecc7b.jpg

Richard - as my Haiphong guess proved so surprisingly successful and as I've been away for a few days without guessing and am suffering withdrawal symptoms, perhaps I might be greedy and chance another risky guess and propose this as the Phi Phi Islands in Thailand?🤞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Richard - as my Haiphong guess proved so surprisingly successful and as I've been away for a few days without guessing and am suffering withdrawal symptoms, perhaps I might be greedy and chance another risky guess and propose this as the Phi Phi Islands in Thailand?🤞

Oh yes, I think you are correct with that (not so risky) guess! I had looked at the Phi Phi Islands earlier without finding a match. But now that I look further, that photo is an excellent match to the scene at Loh Dalum Beach on the Phi Phi Islands. I have no doubt @Solent Richard will be confirming your identification.

9 hours ago, Palmeat said:

2 for 2 on your first day back!  Congratulations @Palmeat!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

enhance

OK, this is embarrassing. Once I figured out what port this is, it occurred to me that I might also have a photo of this port. Sure enough, here is mine, taken in the early morning as we sailed by this port shortly after passing under the Bridge of the Americas during the early stages of an eastbound transit of the Panama Canal.

1312022897_WhereintheWorld(76).thumb.jpg.88429f381756831e036d3b3650dfd2f9.jpg

After thinking I had no more port photos to contribute, it turns out I had this one I could have contributed after all. Doh!

This is Balboa, Panama.

20 hours ago, Palmeat said:

16 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Oh yes, I think you are correct with that (not so risky) guess! I had looked at the Phi Phi Islands earlier without finding a match. But now that I look further, that photo is an excellent match to the scene at Loh Dalum Beach on the Phi Phi Islands. I have no doubt @Solent Richard will be confirming your identification.

Congratulations @Palmeat  and supporting @bluemarble , it certainly is Phi Phi Island, Thailand. 

I wonder did anyone twig the significance of the mangled metal on the beach? Well I'll tell you, I arrived on the island 10 days after the 2004 Tsunami had hit. (I was actually in Thailand Scuba diving elsewhere when it did).

Here's some of the images I took...

1984108192_WhereintheWorld75.jpg.54f3a1a06cf9d275870e3b63eeb8fd7d.jpg

251378560_WhereintheWorld76.jpg.512606df2f40c3ba32d7fc6d961774c2.jpg

1669754593_WhereintheWorld73.jpg.aa68a653aadf3f408a2dc2099b5eb14c.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard