Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Time to give this one a try.

I think this looks like it could be Eleuthera (Princess Cays), Bahamas.

You are correct.  Had a hard time finding a pic that didn’t have the Princess ship in it.  EM

15 hours ago, ExArkie said:

This looks like a statue in Pattaya, Thailand, of Sun Yat-Sen on the grounds of Wat  Wang Sam Sien.

Congratulations @ExArkie it most certainly was taken at Pattaya, Thailand and just goes to show that not all my time there was spent culturally down 'Walking Street'. 😁

1943896834_TabooBarGirlRichard.thumb.jpg.05ad6dfa7c35a2021b37a1f83491615d.jpg

1619286392_HiltonHorizonBarRBSunsetCocktails.thumb.jpg.e57aa432bc3b17faeae3a4a72f46adfc.jpg

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

IIMG_9340.JPG

This port looks like Gustavia, St Barts, French West Indies.  Lots of very nice boats I certainly wouldn't mind having. 

I've been struggling with your earlier photo.  There are two clues which should be easy to locate - the signs for waterside venues (likely restaurants?) "Miami" and perhaps "Apres viande".  Apres viande is a little blurry and might have a slightly different spelling, but the Miami sign is clear.  I've done many google searches with varying keywords, but no luck. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sfred said:

This port looks like Gustavia, St Barts, French West Indies.  Lots of very nice boats I certainly wouldn't mind having. 

I've been struggling with your earlier photo.  There are two clues which should be easy to locate - the signs for waterside venues (likely restaurants?) "Miami" and perhaps "Apres viande".  Apres viande is a little blurry and might have a slightly different spelling, but the Miami sign is clear.  I've done many google searches with varying keywords, but no luck. 

Well done @sfred - Gustavia, St Barts is correct. Definitely a 'how the other half live' port💵💲!

Here's a clue to my older post - this port is a gateway to a place in ancient classical civilisation  considered (in those times) as the centre of the world. Additional port photos follow - not sure if these help. Bon chance!

L1020251.JPG

L1020248.JPG

• Like 1

Ah - that helps a lot, thanks @Palmeat.  I found Miami, and the other restaurant (which isn't even close to being spelled Apres viande).  Having used my turn for the day, I will wait for tomorrow morning.

Edited by sfred

5 hours ago, Palmeat said:

I think both I and @Solent Ɍichardhave one port each outstanding. Here are a couple more for the weekend.

DSC00749.JPG

Could this possibly be Ithaca? I'm homing in on that rounded wall just left of centre with a tree growth. Possibly that is the Greek Orthodox Church of  Μεταμόρφωση Σωτήρος.

55 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Could this possibly be Ithaca? I'm homing in on that rounded wall just left of centre with a tree growth. Possibly that is the Greek Orthodox Church of  Μεταμόρφωση Σωτήρος.

I'm impressed @Solent Ɍichard! Excellent spot. Yes, this is Vathi the capital of Ithaca (quite a small capital actually!). Sorry, can't comment on the Orthodox Church! Well done.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Well, it just goes to show what a lousy detective I'd make. Having Googled Wat Wang Sam Sien I'm sure @Solent Ɍichardwill shortly confirm your are correct in identifying Pattaya @ExArkie. Congratulations.

My approach on these is not what one would actually call detective work. Every few days when I peruse the thread, there are a lot of pictures of places I do not recognize and one or two from places I have been. I respond to the latter, then return to my regularly scheduled activities until the people who actually do detective work identify the others.

Several years ago, I spent a couple of months in Rayong province getting a manufacturing project up and running. The nearest cities of any size were Pattaya and Laem Chabang, which I got to know reasonably well. 

• Like 1

Everyone has been doing such a great job identifying the latest round of port photos in quick succession. I think we have just two left to identify now. Since @sfred has done all the work on @Palmeat's soon to be solved photo, I'll leave that for him to identify in a few hours and move on to this remaining unsolved photo from @Solent Richard. I'm not 100% certain about this one, but I'll give it a go.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:50 AM, Solent Richard said:

2097939471_WhereintheWorld86.jpg.0d515dddb7a0d7c35c6fb800a57c4ae0.jpg

I think I'm doing a better job figuring out the logos on the trishaw umbrellas in this photo than with the Globe Telecom logos on the beach umbrellas in @carlmm's first Boracay photo from a couple weeks ago. The logos in this photo are those of the Eastern & Oriental Express train.

My research tells me prior to 2016, the Singapore-Bangkok route of the Eastern & Oriental Express included an excursion to George Town on Penang island with a trishaw tour of the city. Photos I've found of the trishaws used for that tour are strikingly similar to this photo.

My guess is this is Penang, Malaysia.

Edit to add: Since the cruise port for Penang is Georgetown (aka George Town), this would qualify as another port name double with Georgetown (aka George Town), Grand Cayman.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Everyone has been doing such a great job identifying the latest round of port photos in quick succession. I think we have just two left to identify now. Since @sfred has done all the work on @Palmeat's soon to be solved photo, I'll leave that for him to identify in a few hours and move on to this remaining unsolved photo from @Solent Richard. I'm not 100% certain about this one, but I'll give it a go.

I think I'm doing a better job figuring out the logos on the trishaw umbrellas in this photo than with the Globe Telecom logos on the beach umbrellas in @carlmm's first Boracay photo from a couple weeks ago. The logos in this photo are those of the Eastern & Oriental Express train.

My research tells me prior to 2016, the Singapore-Bangkok route of the Eastern & Oriental Express included an excursion to George Town on Penang island with a trishaw tour of the city. Photos I've found of the trishaws used for that tour are strikingly similar to this photo.

My guess is this is Penang, Malaysia.

Edit to add: Since the cruise port for Penang is Georgetown (aka George Town), this would qualify as another port name double with Georgetown (aka George Town), Grand Cayman.

Congratulations John @bluemarble, that certainly is Penang (Georgetown) and each of your assumptions were correct. We have done the journey in both directions and what an amazing experience it is.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, bluemarble said:

Ah, thanks for pointing out the duplication of Tsingtao and Qingdao in the unseen ports list. I'll take care of that duplication in the next versions of the ports lists.

I have a couple of additions for the next version of the unseen list. First is the port of Sevastopol, which I spotted in a Royal Viking Sun brochure from 1997. The second is a port/city that I have visited many times and have lots of photos of (I'm sure many of us have). I'm just trying to find one that isn't so obvious. So I'll keep that one to myself for now.

In the meantime...

041.JPG

On 5/26/2021 at 6:19 PM, Palmeat said:

L1020247.JPG

Thanks to @Palmeat's hint, I was able to identify this port as Itea, Greece.   It took me a while.  As I mentioned last night, I was using the two clues of signs for what I thought were restaurants.  Turns out the Itea "Miami" is classified in google maps as a cocktail lounge, so my searches for restaurants were finding places in other countries that didn't match the photo.  And searches for "Miami" with other keywords were leading me to Florida.  The other venue in @Palmeat's photo, what I thought was a French restaurant called something like "Apres viande"...

image.png.516e36777831b089f25cbb651703ad86.png

...is really a very different spelling, as shown here in google streetview

image.png.776708d94876c5a02ca13e2a005cf1d7.png

Anyway, the hint of the classical gateway to the centre of the world led me to Delphi, and from there to the adjacent port of Itea.  It quickly fell into place from then.  Thanks @Palmeat, this was a good challenge.

Edited by sfred

10 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks to @Palmeat's hint, I was able to identify this port as Itea, Greece.   It took me a while.  As I mentioned last night, I was using the two clues of signs for what I thought were restaurants.  Turns out the Itea "Miami" is classified in google maps as a cocktail lounge, so my searches for restaurants were finding places in other countries that didn't match the photo.  And searches for "Miami" with other keywords were leading me to Florida.  The other venue in @Palmeat's photo, what I thought was a French restaurant called something like "Apres viande"...

Anyway, the hint of the classical gateway to the centre of the world led me to Delphi, and from there to the adjacent port of Itea.  It quickly fell into place from then.  Thanks @Palmeat, this was a good challenge.

Congratulations @sfred - your thorough research and perseverance paid off. Itea it is! Well done.

10 hours ago, sfred said:

Well, this is totally Greece. I wonder well are people doing there right now. The have no lockdown or whatever and tons of tourists arriving everyday 

20 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I have a couple of additions for the next version of the unseen list. First is the port of Sevastopol, which I spotted in a Royal Viking Sun brochure from 1997. The second is a port/city that I have visited many times and have lots of photos of (I'm sure many of us have). I'm just trying to find one that isn't so obvious. So I'll keep that one to myself for now.

In the meantime...

041.JPG

Sevastopol will be added to our unseen ports list. I also noticed the list included both Porlamar, Margarita Island and well as just Margarita Island. I'll remove that duplication.

Now back to identifying port photos. The ferry Johe seen in this photo helped identify this port since it operates on the Banjul-Barra route.

I think this one is Banjul, Gambia.

• Like 1