Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

We've now reached the one year anniversary for this thread. Congratulations and thanks to @Host Hattie for starting this thread and for everyone who has contributed to it this past year!

As we've discussed before, this is far and away the most active thread we've seen on this Cunard forum. Hard telling how much time I've spent on it this past year, but I've certainly spent well over 1000 hours on it. This thread has been a most enjoyable pastime for me and I've learned quite a bit about Cunard's history in the process.

I've had a great time too - many thanks to everyone!  The photos, games, and discussions have created a bigger bucket list of future voyage desires.  Can't wait to be afloat again!

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

BTW, it isn't really a port or even a close sail by but has Bishop Rock ever come up on this thread?

No, we haven't discussed Bishop Rock on this thread. I've never managed to spot it the few times I've tried to look for it during QM2 crossings. I don't think we ever came close enough to see it.

If you have managed to get close enough to take an identifiable photo of Bishop Rock, I think I can be persuaded to count that as a cruise-by location for our purposes here, given its significance to the history of transatlantic crossings and the Blue Riband, an honor Cunard held on numerous occasions.

• Like 1

I don't think we've ever been able to cover off two unseen locations with a single photo before on this thread, but this photo (public domain from wikimedia commons) might just do the trick.

Our QE voyage in 2019 did not go to the unseen port in this photo, but we did pass through the unseen cruise-by location off in the distance, on our way between two other Cunard ports that we have already seen.

image.thumb.png.d7855def7ad7fa01a7a4c836ecc3ac98.png

4 hours ago, sfred said:

I don't think we've ever been able to cover off two unseen locations with a single photo before on this thread, but this photo (public domain from wikimedia commons) might just do the trick.

Our QE voyage in 2019 did not go to the unseen port in this photo, but we did pass through the unseen cruise-by location off in the distance, on our way between two other Cunard ports that we have already seen.

image.thumb.png.d7855def7ad7fa01a7a4c836ecc3ac98.png

That’s definitely Homer Alaska. I recognize the “spit” as it is known by the locals. I have been there too many times to count; visit AK every summer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chart Room Princess said:

That’s definitely Homer Alaska. I recognize the “spit” as it is known by the locals. I have been there too many times to count; visit AK every summer.

2 hours ago, Chart Room Princess said:

For the unseen cruise by location in this picture it should be Kachemak Bay. 

Homer AK is correct, well done @Chart Room Princess.  Looking again on google maps today, I see that Kachemak Bay is also correct, being the body of water immediately off Homer to the east.  Actually, though I was originally thinking of one of the other cruise-by loctions on our unseen list that Homer and Kachemak Bay face towards the west, which is Cook Inlet.  QE traversed Cook Inlet to get to Anchorage from Kodiak, and then again when departing Anchorage on 16 May 2019. 

The caption to this photo in wikimedia commons indicates both Homer and Cook Inlet, which originally gave me the idea for for a "photo double".  But actually it might be a "photo triple" if we include both Kachemak Bay and Cook Inlet.

@bluemarble, I think we'll need an official referee's call for how many unseen locations we can attribute to this photo?

1 hour ago, sfred said:

@bluemarble, I think we'll need an official referee's call for how many unseen locations we can attribute to this photo?

Your referee should have checked the list of Alaska cruise-by calls he found in old Cunard brochures more closely to better detect overlaps among them.

As I understand it, Kachemak Bay forms an arm of Cook Inlet. Various sources place Homer on Kachemak Bay or Cook Inlet. Therefore I'm good with counting that photo as a triple showing the port of Homer and the cruise-by calls of Kachemak Bay and Cook Inlet.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Your referee should have checked the list of Alaska cruise-by calls he found in old Cunard brochures more closely to better detect overlaps among them.

As I understand it, Kachemak Bay forms an arm of Cook Inlet. Various sources place Homer on Kachemak Bay or Cook Inlet. Therefore I'm good with counting that photo as a triple showing the port of Homer and the cruise-by calls of Kachemak Bay and Cook Inlet.

Great - I will add all three locations to my "seen" list.

Alaska is now up to 19 seen Cunard ports and cruise-bys.  An impressive total.  If it were a country rather than a US state, Alaska would easily make the "top 10" list, ahead of Canada and Brazil at 13 Cunard locations each.   

6 hours ago, sfred said:

Only a "photo single" for this contribution, I'm afraid.  We've already seen the Cunard port for the unseen cruise-by location pictured below. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Aratere_in_Queen_Charlotte_Sound.jpg

This is the Interislander ferry Aratere. She's probably on the Cook Strait (Wellington - Picton) route in this photo. One reference I found states "Aratere was built to show off the picturesque Marlborough Sounds." I'll go with Marlborough Sound(s), New Zealand for this cruise-by location.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This is the Interislander ferry Aratere. She's probably on the Cook Strait (Wellington - Picton) route in this photo. One reference I found states "Aratere was built to show off the picturesque Marlborough Sounds." I'll go with Marlborough Sound(s), New Zealand for this cruise-by location.

Correct!  The NZ interisland ferry crosses the Cook Strait between Wellington on the north island and Picton on the south island.  To get to Picton, the ferry traverses the Marlborough Sounds, a collective name for four individual sounds.  The route to Picton follows the Queen Charlotte Sound route.

My first trip on this ferry was way back in the winter of 1989, when doing a work project in Wellington.  It was a stormy January day, and the crossing was rather choppy with a brisk icy rain.  I loved it!

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

How about this one?

Capture.JPG.492ccf1943b4b589da87c6ef3e1330ab.JPG

Roy

Looks like it could be Iceland, but I'm not getting a quick match to a location.  I have to run to work, but I'll come back later today unless someone else finds it first.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It would be considered a North American port.  I have a little disagreement with @bluemarble about the correct country.

Roy

Oh, quite right! I shouldn't have assumed where a couple of the cruise-by calls were located just because they were listed on an old Sagafjord itinerary for an Alaska cruise. Here are two corrections to my list I've found so far. Haven't been able to spot which (if either) of these locations matches @rafinmd's lighthouse photo.

Additional Cruise-By Calls

Canada

Alert Bay, British Columbia
Bella Bella, British Columbia

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I did not think there were any locations left I had visited on Cunard but that is not quite true.  How about this one?

artb.JPG.8f88fd6f4b2f017b9ce5b6dbcc11252c.JPG

Roy

This is a statue of the Danish painters Michael Ancher and P. S. Krøyer in front of the Skagens Museum. I'm going with Skagen, Denmark for this one.

P.S. It doesn't really matter any more if you visited any of the locations on Cunard. To keep this game going, we'll gladly accept photos you have of any of the locations on our unseen Cunard ports list regardless of how you visited them.

P.P.S. As @Host Hattie has mentioned, we would prefer additional hints about an unidentified photo (from subtle to more obvious hints over several days as necessary) rather than revealing the answer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It would be considered a North American port.

Roy

I'm afraid I'm still lost.  I don't think it is either Alert Bay or Bella Bella.  They both have square lighthouses, white with red tops, but the terrain of their locations (Dryad Point for Bella Bella, and Pulteney Point for Alert Bay) doesn't match the photo.  I've also tried a general google image search for British Columbia lighthouses, but no liuck.  I'm sure I will say "how did I miss that" when finally revealed!

5 minutes ago, sfred said:

I'm afraid I'm still lost.  I don't think it is either Alert Bay or Bella Bella.  They both have square lighthouses, white with red tops, but the terrain of their locations (Dryad Point for Bella Bella, and Pulteney Point for Alert Bay) doesn't match the photo.  I've also tried a general google image search for British Columbia lighthouses, but no liuck.  I'm sure I will say "how did I miss that" when finally revealed!

Ok, this wasn't intended to be a sail-by.  We were unable to tender there due to rough seas but I thought it a pretty good view of the town.

I'll add a couple more views:

Capture2.JPG.785a7ca6fc0e5b855311631331a23a2a.JPG

Capture3.JPG.b5110b09835560660135e6d862bdc742.JPG

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Added photos

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This is a statue of the Danish painters Michael Ancher and P. S. Krøyer in front of the Skagens Museum. I'm going with Skagen, Denmark for this one.

Correct.  Queen Victoria in 2019.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd