Cruise With Confidence - non-refundable deposit

We just booked for next August with a non-refundable deposit.  I did not see any option for refundable/non-refundable.  Anyway, Royal Caribbean's FAQ for the cruise with confidence program says this for a non-refundable deposit:   "Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed prior to September 30th, 2020 - the change fee will be waived."

So, what happens if I cancel after final payment?  I should still receive full credit.  I don't understand why it specifies prior to final payment.

Edited by edwar2cf
MISTAKE

32 minutes ago, edwar2cf said:

We just booked for next August with a non-refundable deposit.  I did not see any option for refundable/non-refundable.  Anyway, Royal Caribbean's FAQ for the cruise with confidence program says this for a non-refundable deposit:   "Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed prior to September 30th, 2020 - the change fee will be waived."

So, what happens if I cancel after final payment?  I should still receive full credit.  I don't understand why it specifies prior to final payment.

For any cruise booked before Sept 30 you can cancel up to 48 hours prior to the day of sailing and get a 100% FCC

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That option is usually toward the end of the booking process.

Thanks.  I must have missed it. I thought maybe since the Cruise With Confidence program applied when I booked that there was no difference.  It seems like it used to default to a refundable deposit.

4 minutes ago, edwar2cf said:

It seems like it used to default to a refundable deposit.

Yes,  that was true some time ago but with the intro of NRD, that option is getting harder to find. The diff with refundable is that you need not worry about waiting for RCI to cancel if you want your money back.

Edited by Biker19

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

For any cruise booked before Sept 30 you can cancel up to 48 hours prior to the day of sailing and get a 100% FCC

Thanks.  That's what I thought, and I hope it's correct.  But then the statement about cancelling prior to the final payment is meaningless or superfluous. 

11 hours ago, edwar2cf said:

I did not see any option for refundable/non-refundable.

You have to go further into the booking to see the option to make the deposit refundable. After putting in guest name(s)/info you get to Review Your Trip Options. It has dining options, pre paid gratuities option, insurance option, and usually an option for refundable deposit and the additional amount it will cost to make the deposit refundable that you can select.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

What happens if you want to switch from a cruise booked as a non-refundable deposit to a cruise you already booked with a refundable deposit?   The only money paid so far for both cruises is the deposit.

4 hours ago, edwar2cf said:

Thanks.  That's what I thought, and I hope it's correct.  But then the statement about cancelling prior to the final payment is meaningless or superfluous. 

What you quoted refers to moving a reservation to a different sail date or ship without paying a change fee. It has to be done before the final payment date, and also on or before 9/30/20.

18 minutes ago, mustgo said:

What happens if you want to switch from a cruise booked as a non-refundable deposit to a cruise you already booked with a refundable deposit?   

The point of moving an existing booking it move it to a new one, not to an existing one. You could cancel a booking and use the FCC to apply to an existing booking, refundable or not.

Thanks for the reply.  I am not sure I understand. I will try to be more clear. I have 2 bookings now. I have only paid a deposit on both.  I would like to cancel the one with the non-refundable deposit but I don't want to lose the money.  The second booking is a refundable booking.  Can I transfer the deposit money from the first booking to the second booking?  

18 minutes ago, mustgo said:

Thanks for the reply.  I am not sure I understand. I will try to be more clear. I have 2 bookings now. I have only paid a deposit on both.  I would like to cancel the one with the non-refundable deposit but I don't want to lose the money.  The second booking is a refundable booking.  Can I transfer the deposit money from the first booking to the second booking?  

As far as I know you can cancel the non refundable deposit cruise under CWC, that will give you a FCC. You can then apply the FCC to the cruise you have booked with the refundable deposit. 

1 hour ago, NancyIL said:

What you quoted refers to moving a reservation to a different sail date or ship without paying a change fee. It has to be done before the final payment date, and also on or before 9/30/20.

Is there any way to do that online through that portal CWC or do you have to call??

1 hour ago, NancyIL said:

Thanks!  I did not realize that.

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

You can only do it if it is a Lift and Switch online.  Same time next year plus/,minus 4 weeks

Got it now.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, 3monkeys4me said:

As far as I know you can cancel the non refundable deposit cruise under CWC, that will give you a FCC. You can then apply the FCC to the cruise you have booked with the refundable deposit. 

Thanks to all for advice.  That is what I will do

Just now, Heymarco said:

Have another question. Does Cruise with Confidence also apply to bookings made prior to Covid? The website leads me to believe it’s for any cruise booked before Sep 30, new or existing. Am I understanding that correctly?

Correct.  It applies to any cruise booked before Sept 30, 2020.

9 hours ago, torpeedo said:

Do you think you can carry over the OBC from booking onboard??

It is not automatic.  You need to call and have it moved to any other cruise that you have booked. 

next cruise, redeployment and goodwill OBC are able to be transferred. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, little britain said:

So I have NRD on a suite booking; final payment due in October.   But I’ve only got to 9/30 to cancel and get deposit back as FCC ( unless they extend date); is that right? 

No, you should be able to cancel and get an FCC all the up to three days to go, though obviously it will be a much larger amount since full payment will be involved.