Picture from the first ship you ever sailed on

Germancruiser

What I like most of those old ships are the real look of a ship- with a long bow and nice aft deck. I know not very practical on modern cruise ships where every space is valuable space for paying passengers.

So I suppose Queen Mary 2 is one of the last of such " species of ships"!

• Like 2

So I guess I am not as old as most of you or I started cruising later in my life.  But I first cruised on Voyager of the Seas on April 1 2001.  So only 19+ years ago.  Yes I am a newbie compared to some here.  I still have my Sea Pass cards from every cruise.  It was the first mega ship when launched in 1998.

mt_royal_caribbean_voyager_of_the_seas_1240x530_1240x530.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Brerpossum, How nice to see your post!  We had the pleasure of sharing a dinner table with you on Celebrity Century, back in 2013, to Hawaii.  Good to see you are still cruising, as are we.

How is Mrs. Possum's back?

Oh my, what a small world.  Shipgeeks, so good to hear from a shipmate from 2013, when we sailed around the volcano.  
Osteoporosis is a terrible condition that has afflicted my wife Kay for years.  A fantastic Dr. In Little Rock, AR performed a small 10-hour surgery replacing all the hardware in her back with an interlocking system and she does not need a back brace and is for the most part pain free – Thank you Lord!  
What a wonderful cruise on the Century, one of our favorite Celebrity ships and crew.  Celebrity does not do those 15-night Hawaii cruises any longer, but one came up in October of last year on the Eclipse, and we just had to go.
We were on the October 2008 Mercury Hawaii cruise coming home, one day out, sailing back to San Diego and turned around and went back to Hilo for an emergency medical situation.  Ran low on food on the way back to San Diego, along with many flight changes, ect.  
Thanks for the memories.
Jerry

IMG_2179.jpeg

DSC_0192.jpeg

DSC_0123.jpeg

Edited by Brerpossum
Edit
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2020 at 6:12 PM, Luckynana said:

Question:  have any of you ever sailed on the SS Brazil, or SS Argentina?  My first job in NYC, I worked for Moore-McCormack Lines on 2 Broadway.  Those were our 2 cruise ships.  At that time, as an employee, you could cruise for practically nothing.  Unfortunately, none of us young workers took advantage of that opportunity since it seemed only the older (30 somethings) women we worked with sailed back in the 60's.

We had huge windows facing New York Harbor, and were fortunate to see so many beautiful ships sail by.

My first job was for US Lines which was 1 Broadway in 60’s a couple years later I also worked in 2 broadway.  I also never had opportunity to sail with US Lines.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, George C said:

My first job was for US Lines which was 1 Broadway in 60’s a couple years later I also worked in 2 broadway.  I also never had opportunity to sail with US Lines.

Big bummer that neither of us sailed on our Company's ships!

Btw, my dad, who was a foreman in construction, helped build 2 Broadway!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Big bummer that neither of us sailed on our Company's ships!

Btw, my dad, who was a foreman in construction, helped build 2 Broadway!

I was really young when working at USLines started when I was just 17 and left a year or so after, but heard so many great stories from coworkers, also as you know we could see the great cruise ships pass by the Statue of Liberty from our window. 2 broadway was in the movie the Apartment I believe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George C said:

I was really young when working at USLines started when I was just 17 and left a year or so after, but heard so many great stories from coworkers, also as you know we could see the great cruise ships pass by the Statue of Liberty from our window. 2 broadway was in the movie the Apartment I believe.

I too, was young...I was 18 and worked there until I was 20, when two of my girlfriends and I decided to move to Ft. Lauderdale together.  Moore-McCormack Lines lost all 3 of us at once.  Ah, but to be young and free!  Two of us eventually returned to NYC after a year or so, and came back to reality.  Good times!!!

• Like 2

Since I am still some where in the Stone Age, BC (Before Cellphones)  I don’t have a clue how to transport a ship picture onto this here post so all I can say was my first cruise ship was long long time ago in a land far far away on Holland America. The ship was either the Ninadam, Pintodam or Santa Mariadam. 😁

Actually Emerald Seas 1976.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi,

First cruise was 1974 on the original HAL MS Prinsendam out of Singapore. I was a senior in HS, and my younger brother and I were the only kids on the cruise...but it was still totally fantastic, and to this day still leaves pleasant and lasting memories in my thoughts !

That ship later caught fire and sank in 1980 (no loss of life) in Alaskan waters.
Although I have continued to cruise through my life, it was the only cruise I was fortunate enough to take with my parents...and still ranks as one of the best !! Memories !!

btw...worst “cruise” ever...2 weeks on a tramp freighter through the Philippine Islands !! If not for the multiple cases of San Miguel...I probably would have jumped ship !! 

BBL

57784415-1FA1-467A-84F1-5ADAA72833BD.jpeg

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr
  • Like 1

I posted earlier in this thread but that was not my very first cruise............

In the late 80's I sailed on "PREMIER CRUISE LINES"............it was called THE BIG RED BOAT.........I found this

article/picture on line:  I got divorced in 1985 and in 1987  took a singles cruises......OMG.......I guess that was the 

ship. That was my first cruise...........

Here is a link to the article;

https://spacecoastdaily.com/2020/05/brevard-history-from-1985-to-1992-premier-cruise-line-hosted-disney-themed-trips-from-port-canaveral/

I don't remember anything about the Disney part............that is weird.......but I do remember

"The Big Red Boat"....I don't recall sailing with Disney characters but that was over 30 years ago😲

Thinking back it may have been closer to 1990.........but it was still a long time ago.

big-red-boat-580.jpg

• Like 1

In 1970 I sailed from New York to Naples on the Leonardo da Vinci and returned on the Raphaello.  It was about two weeks in each direction since there were frequent stops in the Mediterranean. I remember that the special student rate was $150 each way. 

0DFFDE5C-E0F4-45DC-A925-DF4E5B19FA14.jpeg

• Like 2

Our first cruise was in May of 1988 on the Carnival Carnivale from Miami to Nassau. We had a small cabin with a high porthole.  The beds (narrow bunks really) were attached to the walls.  I am fairly sure the closets were actually repurposed high school hall lockers.  The bathroom was tiny.  The toilet was in middle of the shower sort of an all in one booth arrangement.  We had something similar many many years later on a Chinese junk in Halong bay.  My husband won a small ash tray like dish with the Carnival logo in the ping pong tourney on the enclosed but windowed promenade deck.  I think it is still around somewhere with our cheap ship "s#%t"..

Our second cruise was a seven day cruise on the Celebrity Galaxy out of San Juan in October of 1998.  It still ranks as our first real cruise and one of the most expensive we have ever taken per night.  We were in an oceanview cabin but had no idea how much everything was costing until we got that final bill.  The bar bill is still the biggest we have ever had on ANY cruise.  We made all of the newbie mistakes on that one.  Forty something cruises later we love the Elite program free drinks.

• Like 1

Lois,  Thank you for your photo and article.  We sailed on one of the Big Red Boats, StarShip Majestic, in 1991.  I think the only Disney connection was three days at Disney World after our four day cruise, as part of the package; no Disney characters or other themes on the ship. It was such a great cruise that we've done 43 others since then, including as many of the Premier ships as we could.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Lois,  Thank you for your photo and article.  We sailed on one of the Big Red Boats, StarShip Majestic, in 1991.  I think the only Disney connection was three days at Disney World after our four day cruise, as part of the package; no Disney characters or other themes on the ship. It was such a great cruise that we've done 43 others since then, including as many of the Premier ships as we could.

Thanks for that explanation🙂

• Like 1

Our first cruise was Monarch of the Seas 1996. Oddly, we never took any pictures of the ship. Here we are in 1996 but the ship pic is a stock picture I took from the internet.

image.thumb.png.0dae7b69c50bad4145827fb23b181c22.pngimage.png.bdbe874ce4bf02b149b1867e83ddd6fc.png

Edited by 2chiefs
  • Like 1

The Carnival Mardi Gras, June 1982. The cabin had a porthole and there were no outlets. I remember going to the “Vanity Room” to dry my hair! I also remember watching the crew practicing rowing open lifeboats while we were in port

DE1AD077-8E2F-44EF-A670-C9A21ADDCAA9.png

• Like 2

On 8/26/2020 at 7:12 PM, Luckynana said:

...My first job in NYC, I worked for Moore-McCormack Lines on 2 Broadway...

A non-cruising comment...Was seconded to a financial institution based at 2 Broadway. Remember that the floors were uneven and my desk had to be situated across ‘the bump’ in the floor. Thankfully my next posting was in a more modern building in Chicago. From the ‘Big Apple’ to the ‘Windy Apple’. CV...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Torfamm said:

The Carnival Mardi Gras, June 1982. The cabin had a porthole and there were no outlets...

The ‘Mardi Gras’ was originally the ‘Empress of Canada’. Sailed the ‘Empress of Canada’ from Liverpool to Montreal in 1969. The ship handled the North Atlantic very well. Sailed the ‘Mardi Gras’ as well but in the early 1990’s. The ship was basically the same. In 1972, Carnival, apparently, did not have the financial resources to redesign the funnel emblem so they changed the colours from green and white to red and blue and rounded the ‘blue’ circle to eliminate the forward point. Ah! memories. CV...

F250434A-20D6-46B9-8B79-349B06845575.thumb.png.40f6bbc00069fedeeefd0aff3c2d734c.png

• Like 2

On 8/25/2020 at 3:49 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

Carnival Fascination - May 1996 Eastern Caribbean. I think this was one of the last main line cruises with Caracas, Venezuela as a port stop since one of the ship's excursions was held up by machine gun and robbed.

image.jpeg.2d2e0685c7fb0260b3daaf910544f3ea.jpeg

We had a stop in Caracas (port of La Guiara) in 2002 on Holland America's Rotterdam.   Ugly port, and I can't remember much about our tour of Caracas.   I don't imagine any cruise line will be going there again any time soon.  

• Like 1