Balcony Bonus Sale

Envelope21

NCL is at it again. Latest promo is 'book a balcony for the price of an oceanview.' Which I guess, technically is true. Except they raised the price of an Oceanview to match the Balcony, not the other way around. Only a little shameless.

• Like 1

If you have any proof that NCL does it this way, why don`t you send them to your state AG ? He will be happy if you do his Job.

The last time that NCL had this promo i checked three cruises i have in mind and for all of them they indeed reduced the balcony prices to match the oceanview ones.

They are trying to get as much income at the moment as possible. If they have the chance to earn some money,they don`t care if it could be 200 USD more. If there are only 500-1000 people booking based on this promo who wouldn`t have booked without it is already a success for NCL.

On my booked cruise with a high deck Balcony and all free at sea, I got a sale price of $2642 including prepaid gratuities.

On the present sale, an oceanview with UBP and dining plan but no prepaid gratuities on a high deck is $2985 (over $300 more than prior balcony sale price.)

The balcony cateogry I have booked is at $3217. ($700 more!)

I think we can certainly say this is not any kind of a "deal".

On my current cruise, I have booked an Oceanview. I looked at the pricing a few days ago and it is still at $1500. Today, it is over $2600 - the same price as the Balcony. They did this a couple of months ago too. After the 'sale' was over, the Oceanview price dropped back down. So, yes, they are raising the price of the Oceanview to match the Balcony. Not the other way around.

why does this surprise or even faze you anymore? this is SOP for ncl"s specials. Last year when they had the 30% off, the prices were actually higher that before their "generous" sale.

i have noticed, however, if you pay really close attention sometimes they actually drop the fares, but they're real, real sneaky about it when they do

one of my very close friends and her friend decided to travel with us on the july 4th cruise out of amsterdam. she booked a balcony and when i looked at this offer i immediately sent her an email to check it out. ( i knew she had booked the balcony cabin, but i didnt know how much she was paying)

any way, it turns out that with this extremely generous offer (sarcasm wholly intentional!) the cabin is now  $30 per person higher than her booking.

thanks a bunch ncl!!!!!

your generosity is entirely underwhelming

Most people seem to forget that when a new sale takes effect, it is not a sale ON TOP of what the sale price was last week.  Or what the sale price was 3 weeks ago.  Or what the sale price was 3 months ago.  They have a base price for the cruises when they first define them in their pricing database.  They then use promotional pricing to the base prices when they market them. Different promos have different terms.  But the promos are all based off the base pricing, not any of the former promo pricing.  Promos come and go, as we all know.  

They are also free to change/raise/lower the base price if they desire.  And they usually raise the base price as the ship fills up.  It is called supply and demand pricing.  So identical promos could indeed yield different pricing over time.

Promos are also designed to attract NEW buyers.  Not to entice existing reservations to be repriced to new terms.  That's just an occasional side benefit to some (but not all) with existing reservations.

This isn't any different than how a store sells a can of beans.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 4

This isn't just NCL.  I would think (I haven't ck'd other cruise lines) they all do it.

Years ago I worked retail.  I remember we were having a 50% off "sale" on womens winter 

coats.  Well, they marked them up 100% and them slashed the price 50% and said "sale"

It's all about getting the shoppers attention whether for clothing, food or vacations.

I concur. My balcony actually went up on Alaska May 24, 2021. Jewel.

Upgraded to balcony with free gratuity promo. (Lost free airfare but not free from Mo and the rate $ they wanted was more than the price I paid which was actually in the form of a credit from my canceled Quebec cruise that was supposed to happen in a couple weeks) Then upgraded balcony one category better with 20% employees discount because less than previous promo w free gratuity.

So I’ve been watching my sailing closely and Honestly the rates have barely fluctuated because they obviously have a fine tune algorithm that knows if they reduce the rate so to take away something that was free, it all comes out the same as if they charge you more but gave you Some thing else for free which is why they are so bait and switch

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On 9/2/2020 at 12:43 PM, Envelope21 said:

NCL is at it again. Latest promo is 'book a balcony for the price of an oceanview.' Which I guess, technically is true. Except they raised the price of an Oceanview to match the Balcony, not the other way around. Only a little shameless.

Same old BS