Galveston pier construction delay causes cruise change

paross4

Sorry if already posted.... Galveston pier construction causing changes to itinerary.

We were scheduled for a 5 day cruise in December 2020 on the Adventure out of Galveston.  Not trusting things, we did a Lift and Shift to the same cruise in 2021. 

Today we received an email from Royal Caribbean stating that due to construction delays, our cruise in 2021 will be shortened to 4 days.  It gave us an opportunity to move to other 5 day cruises out of Galveston on the Adventure.  Those cruises have dates in December 2021 or early in 2022 (all price protected) or we could cancel the whole thing.

We opted to move to December 29th, 2021 and did the CLICK HERE NOW and followed the instructions.  It doesn't say if we got the one we requested.  We now wait for the official "Go/No Go" from Royal after they review the request. 

Hoping we get it as it is a higher priced cruise because of the New Years Eve holiday.  😉  

THE EMAIL:

Dear Guest,

We hope that you, your family, and your friends are healthy and safe during this challenging time. We're reaching out to let you know that due to pier construction delays in the Galveston terminal, we had to update our schedule for our 2021 Adventure of the Seas Winter season. As a result, our upcoming December 6, 2021 cruise has been shortened by a day, and we'll no longer be offering your original 5-night Western Caribbean itinerary. We know how much time and effort go into planning your vacation, and we're terribly sorry for the inconvenience. So, starting September 18th, 2020, to make this transition easier, we'll automatically move you to the new 4-night Western Caribbean sailing departing on the same day as your original cruise

Option 1: Stay on the new 4-night Western Caribbean sailing departing from Galveston, Texas on the same day as your original cruise and sailing to Cozumel, Mexico.

What you'll receive:

• Beginning September 18th, 2020, we're automatically moving you to the Adventure of the Seas sailing departing on the same day as your original cruise.
  • You'll be moved to a like for like stateroom and your original stateroom category price will either be protected at your original cruise fare rate or reduced to the current cruise fare rate (whichever is lower). This excludes taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items.
    • If you were already paid in full and your cruise fare rate decreases, we'll provide you with a refund if there is any difference in pricing. You can expect to receive your refund to your original form of payment 45 days after we move you. Kindly note, refund times may vary depending on your financial institution.

Option 2: Rebook one of the following 5-night Western Caribbean sailings onboard Adventure of the Seas departing from Galveston, Texas.

Sailing in 2021

• Nov 17thNov 26thDec 1st, or Dec 10th sailing to Costa Maya, Mexico and Cozumel, Mexico
  • Dec 29th sailing to Yucatan (Progreso), Mexico and Cozumel, Mexico

Sailing in 2022

• Jan 7thJan 12thJan 21stJan 26thFeb 4thFeb 9thFeb 18thMar 4thMar 9thMar 18thApr 1stApr 6thApr 15th, or Apr 20th sailing to Costa Maya, Mexico and Cozumel, Mexico
  • Feb 23rd or Mar 23rd sailing to Yucatan (Progreso), Mexico and Cozumel, Mexico

What you'll receive:

• Your original stateroom category will be price protected at the original cruise fare rate, excluding taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items.
    • If you were already paid in full and your cruise fare rate decreases, we'll provide you with a refund if there is any difference in pricing. You can expect to receive your refund to your original form of payment 45 days after we move you. Kindly note, refund times may vary depending on your financial institution.
  • And, we'll waive any non-refundable deposit change fees associated with the move.

Option 3: If you can't find a new cruise itinerary that works for you and choose to cancel, we'll be sad to see you go. You'll receive:

• A full refund of any paid portion of your cruise fare to the original form of payment, including non-refundable deposits.
  • Any pre-paid amenities will be refunded to the original form of payment within 45 business days.
  • Please note, if you choose this option, we will not provide additional compensation.

It's important to us that you find the best cruise option. Please call us at 888-281-9344 or contact your Travel Advisor by September 17th, 2020 to let us know your decision. And know, hold times may be longer than usual. If you know how you'd like to proceed and would like to avoid waiting on the phone, CLICK HERE by September 17th, 2020 to select which option you prefer. We'll process your request by September 25th, 2020. If we haven't heard from you, either by phone or by survey, by September 17th, 2020, no action will be taken, and you'll remain booked on the Adventure of the Seas sailing we moved you to.

If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately or contact us at:

Thank you for understanding, and we hope you find another cruise with us. Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or looking to explore, relax, and recharge, we have no doubt your time with us will be nothing short of amazing. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez

AVP | Guest Experience

• Like 1

I'd already moved mine but this makes no sense. If the pier isn't scheduled to be done until sept 2022, what exactly is the pt of moving to another 5 day date ... when the pier still wouldnt be done, and then saying it's due to the pier not being done. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'd already moved mine but this makes no sense. If the pier isn't scheduled to be done until sept 2022, what exactly is the pt of moving to another 5 day date ... when the pier still wouldnt be done, and then saying it's due to the pier not being done. 

The days that Adventure was scheduled there are several ships in port that day and list likely no empty terminals.  By moving her itineraries forward one day she is in Galveston by herself so it looks like it had to do with finding her a terminal to dock at.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The days that Adventure was scheduled there are several ships in port that day and list likely no empty terminals.  By moving her itineraries forward one day she is in Galveston by herself so it looks like it had to do with finding her a terminal to dock at.  

Yes I get it, what I dont get is it took rcl this long to notice there was no place for so many adventure cruises to dock. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

...what exactly is the pt of moving to another 5 day date ... when the pier still wouldnt be done, and then saying it's due to the pier not being done. 

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I get it, what I dont get is it took rcl this long to notice there was no place for so many adventure cruises to dock. 

You didn’t ask why it took Royal so long to notice there was no place to dock, you asked What the point was in moving to another 5 day date. 

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You didn’t ask why it took Royal so long to notice there was no place to dock, you asked What the point was in moving to another 5 day date. 

I've said it elsewhere, sorry was not clearer here. It's like whose on first. No one paying attention at rcl to not catch this sooner. Too many changes they should have foreseen sooner. 

That's why people dont believe rcl when they say they will restart pier 3 next april. Losing credibility with lack of planning. The constant shuffling of people out of Galveston ... it's not like they woke up today and said omg pier 3 isn't built, we got no place to dock adventure a lot of cruises. Someone should have noticed before now is how I feel. 

Just glad not me this time. 

25 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

No one paying attention at rcl to not catch this sooner. Too many changes they should have foreseen sooner. 

They knew about it long ago, they just choose to wait a while before officially informing the customer. Not unusual at all for RCI.

28 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

They knew about it long ago, they just choose to wait a while before officially informing the customer. Not unusual at all for RCI.

Really?  I guess I've just never seen this many changes out of Galveston before.

I am with those saying they dont have faith when rcl says sure we will restart the work on pier 3 next april. I didnt know this wasnt unusual for rcl. 

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Really?  I guess I've just never seen this many changes out of Galveston before.

I am with those saying they dont have faith when rcl says sure we will restart the work on pier 3 next april. I didnt know this wasnt unusual for rcl. 

It's pretty much just one change. Pier 3 delayed.

Everything else is a ripple effect 

32 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Hope the wait doesn't cause too much chaos -- the renderings of the new RCI terminal look spectacular if and when it's completed.  Hope the port expansion / pier construction happens soon as well. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 7.22.54 AM.png

Not a fan of the spatter scene from Dexter.

Also confused about lack of an attached garage

There are half a dozen private parking places. Ezcruise is a big favorite, lighthouse, discount, .. I forget all of them many of which have good shuttle service if you dont want to walk over those rough brick streets to cross to the pier. I've never parked at the pier or know anyone who has. I dont think the port parking has shuttle service. Lots of hotels have free parking in additional if you want to uber over.

On 9/4/2020 at 10:05 AM, logan25 said:

Last time I sailed out of Galveston, no terminal had an attached parking garage.  Admittedly, my observation is ancient.

I get it, just doesn't seem very up to date.

You can go direct from car to ship in most new Florida terminals.  Very convenient 

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's an old thread but here's an update on how the cruise change worked for us.

I did the online option and chose the December 29th sailing with the same ship and itinerary.  Note that it is a higher priced cruise due to the New Years holiday.   

We didn't get any official notification from RC on whether or not we received our choice.

I just happened to check in to the Cruise Planner a few days ago and saw that we had been moved to the December 29th sailing. 

I emailed Club Royale (as it was booked through them) to check on our OBC.  They replied back with a new Guest Invoice showing the OBC intact.   It also showed the same reservation number with us assigned to the original stateroom chosen. The price was the same as promised. (well, it went up 36 cents - that's affordable!) 

The whole process went very smoothly from what I can tell.  (Now as long as it doesn't get changed again due to pier, Covid or weather related issues.....)

• Thanks 1