Next announcement of cancellations

lindylooellalouise

Well, where to start?
No physical crew recruitment started as yet, no aircraft chartered,  and perhaps most importantly, a rising infection rate in the UK, meaning that the FCO is not going to change its advice about cruising anytime soon.

Ah ok - well we’ll see - the only people who know for sure are the Cruise companies so I guess it’s just watch this space and keep fingers crossed [emoji4]

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Well, where to start?

No physical crew recruitment started as yet, no aircraft chartered,  and perhaps most importantly, a rising infection rate in the UK, meaning that the FCO is not going to change its advice about cruising anytime soon.

I would hope that the crew agencies have lists ready to go if needed, and quarantine is only 2 weeks.

I also doubt there would be much problem chartering aircraft, in fact you might get crushed in the rush.

We all know the FCO can change their minds in an instant, so that's not a big issue.

However what might prove a deal breaker is how desparate the Carib islands are to see cruise ships return, and whether any are on the UK quarantine list.

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I also doubt there would be much problem chartering aircraft, in fact you might get crushed in the rush.

To a certain extent I agree with you, but given the lack of flying at present, many flight crew are no longer "current" and aircraft that have been grounded need a lengthy inspection prior to flying again.

With sufficient lead time, neither of these issues is a problem, but you can't just pick up the phone and charter a dozen aircraft for the following week!

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Good news, but I'd like to know if the problem was connected with the trial vaccine or not.

Avril

Oxford University says it "cannot disclose medical information about the illness for reasons of participant confidentiality".

The person had what was potentially dangerous side effects but they say he/she will make a full recovery .

They say any problems ,pausing the tests is par for the course but they seem happy to restart the trials ,so maybe 

the illness was a separate issue... lets hope so . Fingers crossed .

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't think the general public will ever know Avril, in fact normally we would not even know a trial had been paused.

Good point John ,those taking part will never know if they ever had the vaccine .

A person who has took part gives a good insight into how it works .

Jack Sommers gives his story ....

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/coronavirus-vaccine-uk-volunteer-experience-oxford-trial-lockdown-a9542676.html

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

They must have been in the placebo group otherwise it would have been unsafe to continue in case someone else took bad.

about a 50% chance that they were being given a placebo.

What is a placebo, maybe just sterile distilled water

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Bit confused here.  If the person's illness was due to side effects, they could not have been in the placebo group?  There would be nothing to have side effects from.

No Jean, Oxford said "potentially dangerous side effects"  not confirmed  side effects due to the vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Bit confused here.  If the person's illness was due to side effects, they could not have been in the placebo group?  There would be nothing to have side effects from.

They might be allergic to the placebo.

Hopefully the person is okay and the vaccine trial is successful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I would hope that the crew agencies have lists ready to go if needed, and quarantine is only 2 weeks.

We all know the FCO can change their minds in an instant, so that's not a big issue.

However what might prove a deal breaker is how desparate the Carib islands are to see cruise ships return, and whether any are on the UK quarantine list.

I agree with you - got to look on the positive side, what’s the point in being pessimistic - we all want the same thing in the end - for cruises to start back up and things to return to normal.  I personally feel the cruise lines are doing everything in their power to get cruises running again, and already some have started up.  Like so many people on here we have had a couple  cruises cancelled and have some upcoming ones which we are in the dark about.  As for the Caribbean, I’m sure all the wonderful island folk are desperate for cruises to return, after all its their livelihood!  So as I said before, we all need to keep positive and look forward to the day when we are back on board and having a wonderful time at sea again! 🤞🏻👏🏻😊🛳☀️

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Graham, you can't be allergic to nothing surely?  Anyway, yes hope they are OK.  Can't see a vaccine being available until next spring at the earliest.

It's only a matter of time, Jean - listening to people ordering in restaurants, it appears we have all become allergic to everything all of a sudden (and this is not to denigrate those with serious and genuine allergies, of which my eldest daughter is one).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Graham, you can't be allergic to nothing surely?  Anyway, yes hope they are OK.  Can't see a vaccine being available until next spring at the earliest.

There must be something in the placebo Jean.

Let's hope it was unrelated to the trial as there appears to be only 1 in the 18000 in the trial who was affected.

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hi Jean,

The other possibility is that the person's illness was an "incidental finding," I.e. a condition or problem which was not capable of being produced by either the active vaccine or placebo.  So it wouldn't matter which arm of the trial they were in.

I would imagine that this is what the safety review was looking at.  It does appear that unfortunately a number of people get this transverse myelitis for other reasons, and there may have been some indication linked for a wholly unrelated cause, or just pure bad luck.  This will happen when I believe 30,000 or more people are involved in a late stage clinical research trial.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

It's only a matter of time, Jean - listening to people ordering in restaurants, it appears we have all become allergic to everything all of a sudden (and this is not to denigrate those with serious and genuine allergies, of which my eldest daughter is one).

We always take our own toiletries away with us and I use Simple soap because I have had an allergic reaction to some ships soaps.

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We always take our own toiletries away with us and I use Simple soap because I have had an allergic reaction to some ships soaps.

We are not allowed to use the ships toiletries.. We have strict instructions to bring home The White Company products for the girls... 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Hi Jean,

The other possibility is that the person's illness was an "incidental finding," I.e. a condition or problem which was not capable of being produced by either the active vaccine or placebo.  So it wouldn't matter which arm of the trial they were in.

I would imagine that this is what the safety review was looking at.  It does appear that unfortunately a number of people get this transverse myelitis for other reasons, and there may have been some indication linked for a wholly unrelated cause, or just pure bad luck.  This will happen when I believe 30,000 or more people are involved in a late stage clinical research trial.

I read on BBC news that pausing a trial because of somebody falling ill or having symptoms - of anything - was standard procedure and not at all unusual. I would imagine that the scientists are on hyper-alert for anyone who simply looks as if they may be suffering from something at any stage, as the trials are not just to find out whether a drug works, but also what other effects may happen.

I am full of admiration for those who volunteer as guinea pigs for us all.

• Like 2