Next announcement of cancellations

lindylooellalouise

22 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I agree.  Why cancel.  Just do nothing.  Then all that can happen is they keep the deposit or cancel the cruise.

For the first time I used a TA to book two cruises as they were cheaper - so I’m bound by their terms and conditions, I’m waiting for a call back but they charge a cancellation fee so I’m not sure the position I would be in if I just failed to make final payment... I’ll ask the hypothetical question! 

Lesson learned - just never thought cancellation fees would be an issue for me pre COVID...

Not sure if I agree to be honest. 

Why should customers let P&O have the option of retaining the deposit for a cruise when, in all likelihood, based on circumstances most likely already known to P&O, they do not intend to deliver the holiday booked?  The reality is that the contract should be cancelled at this point.

Otherwise, that's just rewarding poor service and communication.  Also considering that some of these deposits are up to 15% of the cruise price, they are not trifling sums of money.  The reality is that if you want the possibility of getting all of your money back as cash then you have no choice but to pay.

If customers cancel ahead of the balance due date, then most will be transfer of the deposit value to another cruise.  However, this leaves you unable to claim the cash back.

• Like 1

There was some confusion in earlier discussions on forfeiture of deposits and some may believe that P&O could insist on you paying the full fare. I was not sure at all. After reading the T&C on the P&O site I now think the confusion was because they can retain the deposit if you don't pay the balance and this applies to select and early saver fares. If you have a saver fare they keep the lot but of course you have already paid the full cost of the cruise as saver fares are not available before final balance day 😕

I have a balance due in October for an Iona cruise in January, I will just let the deposit lapse rather than go through all the palaver of cancelling.

35 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Interestingly, just today I can see my FCC on my account for the deposit on Arcadia this October.  Need not use it until December 2021, so that's good.

That's good Jean. Let's hope you will have a choice of ships to use it on...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Some positivity, I understand that yesterday P&O top bods including a Paul Ludlow met with the minister responsible for getting cruising back underway.

I understand that meeting was positive and may have involved the minister going onboard Britannia.

A little light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel at last

Avril

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Some positivity, I understand that yesterday P&O top bods including a Paul Ludlow met with the minister responsible for getting cruising back underway.

I understand that meeting was positive and may have involved the minister going onboard Britannia.

Ah, so THAT’S why Ludlow tweeted a photo of Britannia ! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I wonder if that's why there was no announcement yesterday?.

43 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve just gone on the P&O website and it says it’s undergoing maintenance! I wonder if they’re cancelling cruises??

That's what they did last time.

Maybe they are adding the FCCs?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Must have tendered over or helicopter, as she's off Weymouth.  Although my initial thought was a nice little jolly, with a slap up lunch, it gives that minister an opportunity to see what measures are being implemented on board feed that back to Westminster.  And a crew training opportunity if a helicopter was used.  Still a nice little jolly though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Must have tendered over or helicopter, as she's off Weymouth.  Although my initial thought was a nice little jolly, with a slap up lunch, it gives that minister an opportunity to see what measures are being implemented on board feed that back to Westminster.  And a crew training opportunity if a helicopter was used.  Still a nice little jolly though.

It was a late planned return to Southampton for Monday morning and she left Southampton at 16:32 Monday afternoon to return to Weymouth.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

It was a late planned return to Southampton for Monday morning and she left Southampton at 16:32 Monday afternoon to return to Weymouth.

Oh well, no exciting helicopter trip then.  I couldn't get MarineTraffic to display Britannia's past track, hence the faux pas.

20 hours ago, Britboys said:

That's good Jean. Let's hope you will have a choice of ships to use it on...

Yes Andrew.  No way are we going on Aurora next April either, so will have to move the deposit on that as well.  Just might do our October 2021 cruise if things improve.

15 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

I've been reading these with fascination.

Seriously - you get updates?

Over on Saga, we get giddy with excitement if we get told anything. Ever.

Makes me jealous.

There have been updates on some Tuesdays at 10am posted on some social media sites showing cruise cancellations and when they hope to restart cruising.

Covid19 refunds were a nightmare with little information available.

Well today I gave in as my balance is due tomorrow for our January 3 rd cruise to Caribbean/ America, we  didn’t want to go on it and was waiting for P&O to cancel ! So today I have moved it to February 2022  I think it was the best decision for us has we still have a lot booked up for next year , obviously the price has gone up quite a bit 😢 but we’re happy at moving it for another year .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Well today I gave in as my balance is due tomorrow for our January 3 rd cruise to Caribbean/ America, we  didn’t want to go on it and was waiting for P&O to cancel ! So today I have moved it to February 2022  I think it was the best decision for us has we still have a lot booked up for next year , obviously the price has gone up quite a bit 😢 but we’re happy at moving it for another year .

A very wise decision given the current Covid19 situation.

• Like 1