What do you love about Transpacific/Transatlantic cruises?

Travelexpert35

9 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Thems the olden days....  every time I see someone on a Smartphone in the middle of the Pacific on the Internet I want to snatch the phone out of their hand toss it into the deep blue sea.

I have that same gut feeling.   I used to be great on a cruise without electronic devices.  When I go to visit my Daughter and her family, everyone is dominated by their phones, computers or iPads.    My wife and I walk regularly and come across people out on the street yacking on their phones instead of enjoying nature.

On 9/5/2020 at 3:47 PM, chemmo said:

Yet to do a TA but a couple of years ago we flew from the U.K. to Hawaii for just over a week before the TP cruise to Sydney.

It was the diversity of the experience we loved...Fantastic pre and post cruise hotel and sightseeing, then on the ship an amazing balance of sea days and once in a lifetime stops at Bora Bora, Tahiti, Bay of Islands....You were on the ship long enough to develop real relationships with fellow passengers and crew but never without enough stops for boredom to set in....

We are world wide cruisers, this remains our favourite itinerary....

It's a great itinerary and the fact that you have great ports in the middle make it extra special.  There are also a load of Australians and Kiwi's on the ship so it's lively!

23 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

TeeRick,

We have a 15 day transatlantic from Rome to Tampa in October 2021 booked on the Celebrity Constellation.  It visits 5 ports on the way to Florida and for a mid-ship balcony, we are paying less than $1800 per person.  

TA prices have gone up over the years, the cheapest we every paid was a TA on NCL Star for a balcony from Copenhagen to Miami for about $700 pp.  That was seven years ago and we only stopped in two ports in route.  Also, it was, I believe only 12 days.  

For a 15 day cruise, $1800 pp is about as low as you can get with a balcony.

That is an excellent deal.  Congrats!

1 hour ago, begood2me said:

It's a great itinerary and the fact that you have great ports in the middle make it extra special.  There are also a load of Australians and Kiwi's on the ship so it's lively!

We made some lifelong Australian friends on board...We flew back down to join up with them on a Pacific Islands cruise two years later.

We always refer to this cruise as the ‘most polite’ cruise we ever experienced. Don’t get me wrong, we always find the Celebrity crowd generally well mannered but this one was exceptional. Lift doors would open revealing limited space then there was no pushing or shoving it was all “after you” “no you go first...”. Then at the pool bars on busy sea days it was “you go next I still have a bit left” or “you go first I am ordering the wife one of those fancy drinks that take ages to prepare”....

Seeing Bora Bora loom into sight is something I will never forget...we saw the top first with a halo of cloud...quite magical.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

We made some lifelong Australian friends on board...We flew back down to join up with them on a Pacific Islands cruise two years later.

We always refer to this cruise as the ‘most polite’ cruise we ever experienced. Don’t get me wrong, we always find the Celebrity crowd generally well mannered but this one was exceptional. Lift doors would open revealing limited space then there was no pushing or shoving it was all “after you” “no you go first...”. Then at the pool bars on busy sea days it was “you go next I still have a bit left” or “you go first I am ordering the wife one of those fancy drinks that take ages to prepare”....

Seeing Bora Bora loom into sight is something I will never forget...we saw the top first with a halo of cloud...quite magical.

I love cruising with thoughtful people like that!  Think how wonderful our world would be if everyone behaved that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 10:54 AM, chemmo said:

We love visiting countries like the UK, Canada, Australia and NZ because the people are very polite and friendly.   Most of the USA is like that as well.

We did a great Transpacific cruise in 2018 from Sydney to Seattle.  Most of the passengers were Aussies and it was nice.