Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Yes! You're correct!

It was before Veendam was due to start coming to Bermuda on weekly basis in Summer 2010, and it was our first time seeing Veendam. He was due to spend 4 days/3 overnights, docking in both St. George's and Hamilton .... but when we saw him we exclaimed that he's too big to enter the Town Cut to St. George's ... unfortunately we were correct. He ended up docked the whole time in Hamilton whenever he came to Bermuda the next few summer seasons.

The last photo is the Veendam, several hours later,  in the Beagle Channel (as we were) waiting for the Argentinan passport patrol to board to give okay to leave Argentina. It was late at night.

DSCN5426.JPG

DSCN5465.JPG

DSCN5487.JPG

Thanks for sharing these pics of the Veendam. This was shortly after the rear verandah rooms were added. 

As for St George, Bermuda, wasn't there a change in the access or channel that prevented Veendam from using it? I don't recall Prinsendam, which was narrower, getting in there. The former Renaissance ships seem to.

5 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

PEI

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Prince Edward Island for those unfamiliar. I remembered the cow better than the pier. It was very foggy on arrival and we had to wait to dock. The cow wasn't out until we returned in the afternoon. 

Correct!  But what's the name of the actual port town?  In my original photo, there was a small red thing at the far left.  It is a maple leaf.  If, after your ship docked and you walked through the terminal to stand in front of the maple leaf, here is what you would see:

1163522176_PEI2.jpg.e0d0826358afecc040d6bf7320739e8e.jpg

(I do admit that the Cow Ice Cream picture hint was a little less obscure than my hint🙂).

Dave

• Like 2

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

Looks like Dubrovnik.

Winner!  We took an excursion that went up a winding road, and the bus pulled over for ... well, nothing obvious that I could see from my seat.  But I got out and went a little way forward and saw that view, on a glorious sunny day.

Dave

• Like 2

4 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Thanks for sharing these pics of the Veendam. This was shortly after the rear verandah rooms were added. 

As for St George, Bermuda, wasn't there a change in the access or channel that prevented Veendam from using it? I don't recall Prinsendam, which was narrower, getting in there. The former Renaissance ships seem to.

No change in the Town Cut channel - not allowed due to environmental purposes. Originally it was thought Veendam would make it by its weight in tonnes, but when the whole set of specs was given it was discovered that the ship was too big for the Town Cut.

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

No change in the Town Cut channel - not allowed due to environmental purposes. Originally it was thought Veendam would make it by its weight in tonnes, but when the whole set of specs was given it was discovered that the ship was too big for the Town Cut.

Thanks bluesea for the explanation. Coming thru that cut on the ferry was fun and made me realize there wasn't much room for error!