All things Galapagos...

clojacks

The travel absence finally bit us. We have decided to start to research a trip to the Galapagos Islands in Fall of 2022. I know absolutely nothing logistically about getting there. Do all travelers take advantage of the Cruiselines Flight relationships? I have to believe you can independently fly there, but is it 8 different flight connections? We would obviously like to add of Machu Picchu either before or after. Is there a reason for doing it either before or after? If we are going to book a tour to Machu Picchu through an independent travel company (assuming we can in 2022), would that make it any more difficult if we aren't using the Cruiselines arrangements or cruisetour?

Any AND all info, tips, advise are going to be greatly appreciated. It appears that over the years, CruiseCritics search function has become much less helpful, in my opinion. 

Also, what if you aren't snorkelers?

Edited by clojacks
  • Like 1

This thread in the Roll Calls is probably your best resource for sailing Celebrity in the Galapagos.   Even though it is in the Xpedition Roll Call I suspect Flora is discussed in this thread as well.   It has been going for years.

While I believe it is technically possible to join the ship in Baltra I think you will find an overwhelming recommendation to do the Celebrity package starting/ending in Quito.

We did Galapagos with the Celebrity Machu Picchu add on.  We did Machu Picchu after.  I'm not sure it would make much difference other than maybe any altitude concerns.   While the Celebrity Machu Picchu package was pricey I have to say we felt it was worth it.

As far as using Cruise Air.  It wasn't available when we did the trip several years ago.  Our flight to Quito was diverted to Guayaquil due to fog in Quito (fairly common).   We had to spend the night due to the crew being over their legal time.  We were able to re-board around noon the next day and flew the short flight to Quito.  We were pretty freaked out but found out while boarding the plane that there were about 10 of us.   As soon as we landed in Quito the Celebrity reps met us and did a quick lunch and abbreviated city tour, and gave us time at the hotel to get cleaned up and then joined the full group about 1/2 way through their dinner.

Long story but the moral is that with or without Cruise Line Air they will take care of you.   This is not a typical Celebrity cruise or excursion.   It's top notch everything included experience of a lifetime.

4 hours ago, clojacks said:

The travel absence finally bit us. We have decided to start to research a trip to the Galapagos Islands in Fall of 2022. I know absolutely nothing logistically about getting there. Do all travelers take advantage of the Cruiselines Flight relationships? I have to believe you can independently fly there, but is it 8 different flight connections? We would obviously like to add of Machu Picchu either before or after. Is there a reason for doing it either before or after? If we are going to book a tour to Machu Picchu through an independent travel company (assuming we can in 2022), would that make it any more difficult if we aren't using the Cruiselines arrangements or cruisetour?

Any AND all info, tips, advise are going to be greatly appreciated. It appears that over the years, CruiseCritics search function has become much less helpful, in my opinion. 

There is another great Flora thread you can get to by clicking here. Lots of info and lots of people who have been there on Flora. 

We were booked for August this year on Flora. Had to move it to July 4 next year. We had our air booked with Celebrity which made it really easy. We were flying from LA to Quito round trip on Copa Air through Panama. X will give you a really nice air credit when you book. Right now (seems like always) they have a BOGOHO (Buy one, get one half off) sale. One of you pays full price, the other pays half. You at least want to do the 10 night trip. If you don't do that then you have to get yourself from Quito to Baltre on the island. If you do the 10 or 11 day you get two nights in Quito pre-cruise with meals, airport transfers and one day of touring as well as the flight to Baltre from Quito included. 

If you have any other questions, try that thread. The folks who are on the thread I liked are awesome and will answer any question you have. If you decide to go July 4, maybe we will see you on board.

Jim

My 2 cents after researching extensively --

Do the MP before the cruise, on your own terms. The "add-on" is very comfy, but way too expensive, and short...

Then fly to Quito and join the 10 days package deal. It is top notch organized and very well oiled 😁

It's almost impossible to join the trip in Baltra.

Yes there are at least 2 excursions available at each stop.   When we did it some would go on a longer hike if they didn't want to snorkel.   I believe you could return to the ship if you took the excursion with snorkel and decide not to.   Even if you aren't a big swimmer I'd try the snorkeling.  They provide wet suits which while they keep you warm I believe the provide a bit of flotation.   The under water sights are also amazing.

17 hours ago, clojacks said:

We love South America and have been there three times associated with three cruises (land trips on our own with cruise).

The Galapagos Islands is on our bucket list.  Not sure if we will do it with Celebrity.  It is more expensive with X than what we have found elsewhere, but Celebrity's is clearly the best we have found.

If we want to go inexpensive, Gate 1 and a land tour that is less than half of Celebrity's cheapest price.

Regarding Machu Picchu, we did it in 2019 with a Peruvian tour group on our way down to Chile to pick up a Celebrity cruise (Eclipse)  from Chile to San Diego.

Our Machu Picchu tour was done with PeruAgency.  It was fantastic, we had a private guide for all but a half day tour in Cusco on the first day.

The tour was four days, three nights, two nights in Cusco and one near Macho Picchu. We saw Cusco, the surrounding ancient cites, the Sacred Valley, and a train ride for part of the trip to MP.   It included most of the meals, lodging, the private tour guide and transportation.  It did not include our flight from Lima to Cusco and return (not expensive).

Price was $799 per person.   After paying for airfare, tips, etc., our entire trip was less than $1000 pp.

Also, DO NOT miss Machu Picchu, it is amazing.  The city, over 500 years old, is about 90% intact.   It was not destroyed by the Spanish during the 60 + year war between the Spanish and Inca Empire because it was abandoned and became overgrown with foliage.  It was only discovered again in the early 20th Century.   

We are in our early 70s and in good shape, but the altitude and all the uphill hiking will test you a bit.  Be sure to get altitude medication.

3 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

We love South America and have been there three times associated with three cruises (land trips on our own with cruise).

The Galapagos Islands is on our bucket list.  Not sure if we will do it with Celebrity.  It is more expensive with X than what we have found elsewhere, but Celebrity's is clearly the best we have found.

If we want to go inexpensive, Gate 1 and a land tour that is less than half of Celebrity's cheapest price.

Regarding Machu Picchu, we did it in 2019 with a Peruvian tour group on our way down to Chile to pick up a Celebrity cruise (Eclipse)  from Chile to San Diego.

Our Machu Picchu tour was done with PeruAgency.  It was fantastic, we had a private guide for all but a half day tour in Cusco on the first day.

The tour was four days, three nights, two nights in Cusco and one near Macho Picchu. We saw Cusco, the surrounding ancient cites, the Sacred Valley, and a train ride for part of the trip to MP.   It included most of the meals, lodging, the private tour guide and transportation.  It did not include our flight from Lima to Cusco and return (not expensive).

Price was $799 per person.   After paying for airfare, tips, etc., our entire trip was less than $1000 pp.

Also, DO NOT miss Machu Picchu, it is amazing.  The city, over 500 years old, is about 90% intact.   It was not destroyed by the Spanish during the 60 + year war between the Spanish and Inca Empire because it was abandoned and became overgrown with foliage.  It was only discovered again in the early 20th Century.   

We are in our early 70s and in good shape, but the altitude and all the uphill hiking will test you a bit.  Be sure to get altitude medication.

Thanks 4774Papa...this gives us a different option that we hadn't really considered....doing both as part of a small group as opposed to the small ship. 

4 hours ago, clojacks said:

Thanks 4774Papa...this gives us a different option that we hadn't really considered....doing both as part of a small group as opposed to the small ship. 

I see that Gate 1 has a tour that includes the Galapagos and Machu Picchu.

https://gate1travel.com/latin-america/ecuador-galapagos#EC-2021-GPS-ESC

Here is PeruAgency

https://www.peruagency.com/tours/sacred-valley-cusco-tour-4-days-machu-picchu/

We did the 13 night Galapagos/MP tour in Aug 2016 on Xpedition and had a great time. One thing I realized during my research phase is that many Galapagos cruises from other companies are actually 3 or 4 night cruises that are sometimes connected to create a 7 night cruise. Day 1 of the cruise is arrival, getting settled in the cabin and sailing out to the islands from Baltra. Last day of the cruise is heading off ship and to the airport. This means that on the Xpedition cruise we had 6 full days of 2-3x/day excursions. On trips that were 3+4 combined there was a day in the middle where some passengers disembark and new passengers arrive. This is pretty much a lost day for the people on the 7 day schedule. So yes, some cruises may be cheaper and seem similar, but be sure to know what you are booking. 

The MP tour portion really was a 5* trip. Lots of people on our cruise took tours before or after the cruise and they all raved about the great time they had. However, I think the real difference between our Celebrity tour and the other independent companies was the level of hotel accommodations and restaurant choices that. If staying at 5* hotels isn't important then considering other independent tour groups may make sense. 

I'd like to also mention that the Celebrity tour guides were excellent throughout our trip: Quito, Galapagos and Peru. Every one of them were well informed and right on top of everything. It really was a relaxing vacation for us, even though we had never traveled in SA before, nor had to juggle this many flights within a single trip.

Regarding flights, someone on one of these CC boards once suggested to research the cost of Choice Air flights as a round trip and also as 2 separate flights. We did this and found it worked best for us to use a Choice Air flight from our home to Quito, but booked directly with an airline for our flight from Lima to home.

Whatever you decide, you're in for a treat!

My 2 cents, we have done the Galapagos twice, one in the mating season and once in the birthing season and both times with Celebrity and both times 10 days (don't try getting to Baltra on your own). The first time we did MP on our own before the cruise and spent 5 days there, starting in the Sacred Valley, overnight at MP, back to SV and then two days in Cusco. We hired a guide in Peru for the time there and it worked out OK. 

There is a pretty good MP forum on tripadvisor and one piece of advice we found worked well was to fly into Cusco and immediately go to the Sacred Valley (we stayed in Ollantaytambo), then do MP and end in Cusco. This will help you to adjust to the altitude gradually. 

As someone recommended, when doing research, be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Many alternative companies do not offer the same amount of time actually exploring the Galapagos Islands. With Celebrity, you get seven full days of cruising, most days, visiting two different locations, with multiple excursion choices at each stop. Activities are offered to meet different physical abilities and interests. Unlike other X cruises, it is truly an all-inclusive vacation, from transfers to, alcohol, tips, tours, etc. 

We originally booked the 10 day option from Quito, having every intention of doing Machu Picchu on our own. After a ton of research, we added the X extension. We did find tours that were much less expensive. We learned they did not use the same top-quality hotels, transfers from start to finish, all meals, top quality quides, Hiram Bingham train, tickets for admission, etc. So again, be sure to compare apples to apples.

We do not regret sticking with Celebrity from start to finish. From the time we landed in Quito, until the flight home from Lima, we didn't need to think of a single detail. Everything was top-notch and it was worth every penny. If you are looking for a way to cut corners, consider the Xpedition instead of Flora. We enjoyed our trip so much, we are returning with friends next fall.

FWIW, we would not consider the 7 day "cruise only" option from Quito. One glitch in your independent travel arrangements to Quito could mean a ruined trip.

As advised, go to the Roll Call boards and enjoy the threads for Flora and Xpedition "Recently Back".

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 3:55 PM, dani negreanu said:

I don't snorkel, and did the 2 trips a day. Not all the trips involve snorkeling. It was an amazing experience.

Greatly appreciate all the insight, as we are really rookies on Galapagos info....especially appreciate the insight on non-snorkelers options. Please keep them coming.

28 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Greatly appreciate all the insight, as we are really rookies on Galapagos info....especially appreciate the insight on non-snorkelers options. Please keep them coming.

The best info you'll get from the designated links you've been provided in the other posts.... The info and the replies to my specific questions immensely enhanced my experience.

We arrived to Quito 3 days before the cruise towards midnight. Only 2 days (nights) before the cruise accommodation at the luxurious Marriott is included in the 10 days package. I tried to negotiate a better rate for the 1st night, but they didn't budge from ~280$ 😬.

So we spent the night at Lugano suites, which, at the time, provided a free shuttle from the airport. After a copious b'fast in the morning, we took a cheap taxi to Marriott and "joined the crowd".

• 2 weeks later...

In the same boat as the OP.  Heading to Galapagos for my wife's 50th November or December 2021.  Settled on Celebrity but not sure which size ship, Xpedition, Xploration or Flora.  Any suggesting on where to go to find an overview or comparison?

10 hours ago, ckelly14 said:

In the same boat as the OP.  Heading to Galapagos for my wife's 50th November or December 2021.  Settled on Celebrity but not sure which size ship, Xpedition, Xploration or Flora.  Any suggesting on where to go to find an overview or comparison?

I went with Xpedition and enjoyed very much. Take a look at the excellent roll call link provided in post #2 above.

Another useful link for Flora --

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/832-celebrity-flora-roll-calls/

and for Xperience ....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2452-celebrity-xperience-roll-calls/

We have done Xpedition and a Machu Picchu tour on our own.  Was a perfect combination and a great deal more reasonably priced than =X= combination tour.  In fact, we'd already done our first tour of MP and were having lunch when the Celebrity tour arrived and they left before we finished our afternoon tour.  And we spent the night in Aguas Calientes and enjoyed that.

Can't imagine any reason for spending the insane $$$ for Flora.  You are off the ship, attending pre-excursion briefings, post-excursion briefings, dining or having a drink the vast majority of the time.  I don't think we spent more than a few hours total for the entire week in our cabin except for sleeping.  Have no idea why you would need a suite and butler on an excursion ship.

Does anyone have any Galapagos experience as a solo cruiser?

Has anyone ever seen X give a break to solo cruisers?  Right now with a 10 night flights included the difference for solo is ~$120.  Considering flights, hotels, meals, etc. are all bundled it seems like a solo could use a little bit better break, even the $750 flight allowance isn't waived for solo but you can't use 2 x $750 for first class airfare.  You pay for two airfares but can only use $750.

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I went with Xpedition and enjoyed very much. Take a look at the excellent roll call link provided in post #2 above.

Another useful link for Flora --

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/832-celebrity-flora-roll-calls/

and for Xperience ....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2452-celebrity-xperience-roll-calls/

I'm not sure what the Xperience is but I was talking about the Xploration, the 16 passenger cat.  

I agree with the other poster that the Flora may be a bit over the top and we may want to stick with something smaller.  

Really not able to find much posted about the Xploration online, not surprising as there are only 16 passengers.  I assume that most tours are only 16 people there is only one tour offered per stop on the Xploration?  How about the Xpedition?

Thanks

1 hour ago, ckelly14 said:

I assume that most tours are only 16 people there is only one tour offered per stop on the Xploration?  How about the Xpedition?

2 tours per day, with another one of snorkeling in the middle of the day.

16 people per group. The ship was then full -- 96 people.

Top experience, very well organized.

• Like 1

On the webinar last night they said excursions were limited to 10.   Yes it was 16 when we went a few years ago.  I don't know for sure but I've heard that Xploration is popular with groups.   We did Xpedition with 92 people aboard and it was very nice.   I think it would be wonderful with 48.

• Like 1

I’m thinking the Xpedition with only 48 people and less money, seems like a winning combo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pulled the trigger and booked on Xpedition with Quito extension for Dec 2021 for wife’s 50 birthday. Thanks for all the responses.

Went with the suite #503 as my wife wants the floor to ceiling windows. I noticed that the extension is also priced a little higher for that room. Do you get a better room in Quito?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums