Cruises looking good to restart by Dec (florida)

seaman11

Just now, Carpe-Diem said:

But what if...and hear me out on this...Joe Blow goes to Florida, gets a bit to eat, someone sneezes, Joe heads to the ship, tests negative, follows proper hygiene the entire cruise, never gets COVID, has a great vacation. 
Your logic is flawed

The whole point of "taking precautions" is to make sure my scenario doesn't happen.  With a ship of "a few thousand people"...it's very likely that someone could bring an undetected case on board.

This would never happen in NY (which means cruising may never happen from NY) because we have quarantine requirements.

When you get lax (indoor dining, groups congregating) you get covid spreading.  Look at the numbers.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Carpe-Diem said:

But what if...and hear me out on this...Joe Blow goes to Florida, gets a bite to eat, someone sneezes, Joe heads to the ship, tests negative, follows proper hygiene the entire cruise, never gets COVID, has a great vacation. 
Your logic is flawed

It happens...folks don't get sick all the time.  🙂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Carpe-Diem said:

But what if...and hear me out on this...Joe Blow goes to Florida, gets a bite to eat, someone sneezes, Joe heads to the ship, tests negative, follows proper hygiene the entire cruise, never gets COVID, has a great vacation. 
Your logic is flawed

Is it worth taking the chance with the current conditions not only in the USA, but around the world? 

Seven days on a cruise compare to a possible 14 day/life time?

10 minutes ago, Carpe-Diem said:

Your logic is flawed

Yeah, there's no way to prove or disprove the theory argued by @MsTabbyKats. I'd argue that the same scenario could have played out in Europe over the last two months since MSC restarted cruising, and it hasn't. We can play "What if" till the cows come home, but I'd rather base my projections on what is actually happening, i.e. cruise lines are taking proper precautions, people aren't getting sick and passengers are having a great time.

Edited by DCGuy64
removed unnecessary text
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yeah, there's no way to prove or disprove the theory argued by @MsTabbyKats. I'd argue that the same scenario could have played out in Europe over the last two months in Europe since MSC restarted cruising, and it hasn't. We can play "What if" till the cows come home, but I'd rather base my projections on what is actually happening, i.e. cruise lines are taking proper precautions, people aren't getting sick and passengers are having a great time.

Actually.....how do you know about "what's actually happening in Europe"?

Maybe people aren't getting overtly sick on the cruise...but they're short cruises.  The disease could manifest itself 2 weeks afterwards.  Look at what's happening in Europe....they're locking down.

So, there's no way to prove or disprove your theory either.

The best bet is stay home and stay safe.  Eventually life will return to normal and so will cruising.

34 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Something is hitting a nerve with me.

Let's take "Mr Joe Blow".  He leaves from his home Saturday morning to catch a flight to FL (currently highly infected and no protection requirements) and get on his cruise that afternoon.  He's healthy when he leaves home.  He gets to FL and stops somewhere to eat.  He gets to the port without a temperature and tests negative.

Unfortunately, while Joe was eating before boarding the ship, someone at a nearby table had a nice big sneeze...and you guessed it...Joe caught the virus.  

I don't know about CDC mandates and protocols.  And being from NY, where there's no way a ship would be allowed to sail with people coming from "just about every other state".....I just don't see how a ship would be allowed to sail from FL. 

I apologize for  not citing rules & regulations or knowing who's in charge of what....but this is my logic speaking.

I'm from NJ, I think a lot of us feel this way. I can't even leave the state because of my husbands employer, pretty much you nailed it as to why. And with cases rising, my dream of driving to Florida Christmas week is gone. There is no way my husband can go.

• Like 2

'Cruise lines are taking proper precautions, people aren't getting sick and passengers are having a great time.'

So, why are we not taking the proper precautions in the US and around the world to control the virus?

'We have our rights!' That one statement applies to:

chair hogs

formal wear

etc.

Stay Safe!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Actually.....how do you know about "what's actually happening in Europe"?

Maybe people aren't getting overtly sick on the cruise...but they're short cruises.  The disease could manifest itself 2 weeks afterwards.  Look at what's happening in Europe....they're locking down.

So, there's no way to prove or disprove your theory either.

The best bet is stay home and stay safe.  Eventually life will return to normal and so will cruising.

I know from several sources. MSC restarted operations back in August, and I follow about 10 different MSC-specific groups on a popular social media site invented by Mark Zuckerberg. I've read countless posts by current and former passengers to back up my contention that there has been no COVID-19 outbreak. Also, I can assure you that the media would have been trumpeting such if it had occurred. I don't want to get into an argument with you, I just have a different view and I disagree that the best thing to do is stay home and stay safe. That may be your decision, but it isn't mine. My wife and I are staying safe but we are going to continue to travel.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Something is hitting a nerve with me.

Let's take "Mr Joe Blow".  He leaves from his home Saturday morning to catch a flight to FL (currently highly infected and no protection requirements) and get on his cruise that afternoon.  He's healthy when he leaves home.  He gets to FL and stops somewhere to eat.  He gets to the port without a temperature and tests negative.

Unfortunately, while Joe was eating before boarding the ship, someone at a nearby table had a nice big sneeze...and you guessed it...Joe caught the virus.  

I don't know about CDC mandates and protocols.  And being from NY, where there's no way a ship would be allowed to sail with people coming from "just about every other state".....I just don't see how a ship would be allowed to sail from FL. 

I apologize for  not citing rules & regulations or knowing who's in charge of what....but this is my logic speaking.

My only response is that Joe could just as easily go to Walt Disney World, or Universal Orlando, or Seaworld and get just as sick.  And in those cases, I guarantee he would be taken to a public health facility.  If the CDC is trying to guarantee that nobody can be exposed to the virus in a public setting and then have to "stress" the public health system, then we need to shut down everything right now.  No Disney, no Wal-Mart, no McDonald's.

• Like 2

I know from several sources. MSC restarted operations back in August, and I follow about 10 different MSC-specific groups on a popular social media site invented by Mark Zuckerberg. I've read countless posts by current and former passengers to back up my contention that there has been no COVID-19 outbreak. Also, I can assure you that the media would have been trumpeting such if it had occurred. I don't want to get into an argument with you, I just have a different view and I disagree that the best thing to do is stay home and stay safe. That may be your decision, but it isn't mine. My wife and I are staying safe but we are going to continue to travel.

Not arguing about "no covid outbreak on the ship". 

Anyway, enjoy your travels and make sure to quarantine if you come to NY.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Carpe-Diem said:

Your logic is flawed

Where did you ever see everyone on a ship "follow proper hygiene'"?  Have you've ever used the public bathrooms on a cruise  and see people coming out of the stalls and walk right out the door without washing their hands?    Plus a host of other things.   Some people will never follow proper hygiene.  No matter how careful you are,  there will always be someone  who could care less.

Just now, MsTabbyKats said:

Not arguing about "no covid outbreak on the ship". 

Anyway, enjoy your travels and make sure to quarantine if you come to NY.

Thanks, we won't be visiting NY, alas. Our vacations are mostly overseas, save for a Thanksgiving trip to KY and FL. NY is a ghost town, by all accounts. I have friends who live in Manhattan and they say it's depressing due to the number of shuttered businesses. (Incidentally, I live in the DC suburbs and downtown Washington is the same)

1 minute ago, jezabel80 said:

Where did you ever see everyone on a ship "follow proper hygiene'"?  Have you've ever used the public bathrooms on a cruise  and see people coming out of the stalls and walk right out the door without washing their hands?    Plus a host of other things.   Some people will never follow proper hygiene.  No matter how careful you are,  there will always be someone  who could care less.

Not any more. Have you been keeping up with the people onboard ships now? They're being VERY strict, as they should be. Flouting the rules is a thing of the past: you either obey the rules or get kicked off. Frankly, I'm glad.

• Like 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Thanks, we won't be visiting NY, alas. Our vacations are mostly overseas, save for a Thanksgiving trip to KY and FL. NY is a ghost town, by all accounts. I have friends who live in Manhattan and they say it's depressing due to the number of shuttered businesses. (Incidentally, I live in the DC suburbs and downtown Washington is the same)

Incidentally...I live in Manhattan and I agree that it's a ghost town. 

Also....incidentally....my son lives in Arlington and works in DC.  He's been working from home since March, says DC is a ghost town and I haven't seen him since Feb because of the VA infection rates and our quarantine rules.

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not any more. Have you been keeping up with the people onboard ships now? They're being VERY strict, as they should be. Flouting the rules is a thing of the past: you either obey the rules or get kicked off. Frankly, I'm glad.

They have bathroom monitors....????

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

My only response is that Joe could just as easily go to Walt Disney World, or Universal Orlando, or Seaworld and get just as sick.  And in those cases, I guarantee he would be taken to a public health facility.  If the CDC is trying to guarantee that nobody can be exposed to the virus in a public setting and then have to "stress" the public health system, then we need to shut down everything right now.  No Disney, no Wal-Mart, no McDonald's.

Exactly. All of the possibilities described could just as easily happen in many environments that are currently open to the public.

We've done a little bit of traveling and have seen what restaurants, hotels, and airlines are doing, and it's great. The CDC just seems to have it in for the cruise industry, which is odd because it actually has one of the lowest incidents of disease transmission.

• Like 2

Just now, MsTabbyKats said:

They have bathroom monitors....????

Yes.

Actually, they have people outside the bathrooms who spray you with disinfectant and make you stand under a UV light for 15 minutes upon exiting. 😆

Exactly. All of the possibilities described could just as easily happen in many environments that are currently open to the public.

We've done a little bit of traveling and have seen what restaurants, hotels, and airlines are doing, and it's great. The CDC just seems to have it in for the cruise industry, which is odd because it actually has one of the lowest incidents of disease transmission.

I guess you don't remember March.

Of course it has the lowest incidents of disease transmission....zero actually....because there haven't been any cruises since March.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes.

Actually, they have people outside the bathrooms who spray you with disinfectant and make you stand under a UV light for 15 minutes upon exiting. 😆

OMG...so if I pee...I need to stand under a UV light for 15 minutes?????  Socially distancing...with everyone else who peed????

And this is a fun cruise????

ETA...poor DH....with his enlarged prostate he'll be spending all his time under this UV light.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

15 minutes ago, jezabel80 said:

The mythical figure, Joe Blow, washes his hands. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Very exciting news here. Looks like Carnival will be sailing soon.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/carnival-cruises-begins-staffing-first-ships-in-the-caribbean/

It's quite a leap from 'very exciting news' all the way to 'Carnival will be sailing soon'!

A couple of relevant extracts from the article:

'In order for the successful restart of cruising in the U.S. the CDC will have to lift the mandatory no sail order which is set to expire on October 31st.' T

'The no sail order issued by the CDC went into effect back on March 14th when the pandemic first began which prevents all cruise ships with more than 250 passengers from operating in U.S. waters. The order has been extended multiple times with the latest extension set to expire on October 31st.

'The latest CDC warning is the highest the organization gives stating the ‘CDC recommends that travelers defer all cruise travel worldwide', and that passengers on cruise ships ‘are at increased risk of person-to-person spread of infectious diseases...'

Edited by hamrag

14 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I guess you don't remember March.

Of course it has the lowest incidents of disease transmission....zero actually....because there haven't been any cruises since March.

No, I'm not talking about 2020, I'm talking about over time. I forget now where I read it, but statistically speaking, you are far less likely to contract an illness onboard a ship than on land. WAY less.

13 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

OMG...so if I pee...I need to stand under a UV light for 15 minutes?????  Socially distancing...with everyone else who peed????

And this is a fun cruise????

ETA...poor DH....with his enlarged prostate he'll be spending all his time under this UV light.

Uhhh, that part was a joke. 😉

18 minutes ago, hamrag said:

It's quite a leap from 'very exciting news' all the way to 'Carnival will be sailing soon'!

A couple of relevant extracts from the article:

'In order for the successful restart of cruising in the U.S. the CDC will have to lift the mandatory no sail order which is set to expire on October 31st.' T

'The no sail order issued by the CDC went into effect back on March 14th when the pandemic first began which prevents all cruise ships with more than 250 passengers from operating in U.S. waters. The order has been extended multiple times with the latest extension set to expire on October 31st.

'The latest CDC warning is the highest the organization gives stating the ‘CDC recommends that travelers defer all cruise travel worldwide', and that passengers on cruise ships ‘are at increased risk of person-to-person spread of infectious diseases...'

Call it what you will, but when I read that Carnival is bringing crew members to St Maarten, I'd call that exciting news. It certainly suggests an imminent restart of cruising in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jezabel80 said:

lol,   I thought the same thing.     I doubt they have someone standing in the bathroom, blocking the exit, until they see you wash your hands. 

With the articles in the news daily

people are asked to wear a mask, cover the nose with the mask, etc. 

People are fighting, stabbing and even killing those who ask them to wear masks. 

How many times have you seen people enter the MDR or buffet with out washing hands or using hand sanitizer even when being asked by crew to do so? 

People will not change as they have a reason not to do so. Seen it many times even during the noro virus. 

Two sides to every story. There is no answer.  Life is to short. 

Remember the questions you had to answer before you boarded a plane or ship?

People are people. Look at the LA 3rd baseman. 

No answer to this. It's a shame we all can NOT follow the rules. What are the rules? Each State has their own. Even in the States, the Governor and Mayors can't agree. 

Sad state of affairs.

• Like 1