Cruises looking good to restart by Dec (florida)

seaman11

48 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

ETA...poor DH....with his enlarged prostate he'll be spending all his time under this UV light.

Finasteride!  My urologist prescribed it for me and ...wow....much, much easier now.  And the nights are much better.   It takes about 2 months to start really shrink and make a difference. Ask your doctor.  

55 minutes ago, jezabel80 said:

lol,   I thought the same thing.     I doubt they have someone standing in the bathroom, blocking the exit, until they see you wash your hands. 

It is a funny thought, but today you never know.

Also, well over a decade before C19 we were on a Celebrity Southern Caribbean cruise which had a Noro outbreak.  We were still in our early 50's, but we found the long winter cruise to be incredibly old in passenger demographics; with a high notice of wheel chairs and oxygen tanks.

To your point, they had 'officers in the restrooms in queues to the restaurants (not just the buffet) and all were required to go in and wash their hands with soap and water.  Seriously.  I was thrilled, been a germaphobe long before C19 drove the world 'batty.

It was a bad outbreak that they went MAX response on as the passenger demographics really dictated such.  We had no fabrics (curtains, sofa or bed pillows) other than bedsheets and they sprayed and washed the entire stateroom (every square inch) several times (so did we, every day, soap and water, every square inch we could reach).

More currently, we've noticed much better and enhanced handwashing stations at restaurant entrances.  It's likely there will be more and there likely also that there is enforcement; which we have absolutely no problem with.

It's a new C19 and, hopefully soon, post C19 era.  Passengers will need to be compliant with the new protocols or be quarantined and simply removed from the cruise at first chance.

Edited by Formula280SS
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Something is hitting a nerve with me.

Let's take "Mr Joe Blow".  He leaves from his home Saturday morning to catch a flight to FL (currently highly infected and no protection requirements) and get on his cruise that afternoon.  He's healthy when he leaves home.  He gets to FL and stops somewhere to eat.  He gets to the port without a temperature and tests negative.

Unfortunately, while Joe was eating before boarding the ship, someone at a nearby table had a nice big sneeze...and you guessed it...Joe caught the virus.  

I don't know about CDC mandates and protocols.  And being from NY, where there's no way a ship would be allowed to sail with people coming from "just about every other state".....I just don't see how a ship would be allowed to sail from FL. 

I apologize for  not citing rules & regulations or knowing who's in charge of what....but this is my logic speaking.

I think that's why the first cruises planned will be short ones. In my opinion, this reduces, though doesn't eliminate, the likelihood of transmission while pre-symptomatic on a 3-4 day cruise if on average, symptoms appear 5-6 days after exposure and you can be contagious 24- 48 hours before symptoms appear. So Joe would likely start becoming increasingly contagious on debarkation day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

I think that's why the first cruises planned will be short ones. In my opinion, this reduces, though doesn't eliminate, the likelihood of transmission while pre-symptomatic on a 3-4 day cruise if on average, symptoms appear 5-6 days after exposure and you can be contagious 24- 48 hours before symptoms appear. So Joe would likely start becoming increasingly contagious on debarkation day.

So, pass the buck? (Or...who cares what happens after you get off the ship?)

9 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

It's not the cruise line's buck. He was exposed before he got on the ship and hopefully didn't infect anyone while on the ship. But I would hope that Joe would take some personal responsibility knowing that he did increase his exposure chances by travelling and takes the proper precautions to prevent spread upon his return.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I think that this is what will happen. Not so much about passing the buck, but trying to get Joe off the ship before he is contagious. If it was say a 14 day cruise,  and Joe flies in the day before. Joe catches covid on -1 day. Joe becomes contagious on day 3 or 4. Mary, Suzanne, Roger, and Jennifer all catch covid from Joe. They all become contagious on day 8 or 9, and pattern repeats exponentially. This is what they want to avoid. If they can kick Joe off the ship right around the time he becomes contagious, then he just joins the many other covid positive/contagious people in Florida.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

1 hour ago, reeinaz said:

It's not the cruise line's buck. He was exposed before he got on the ship and hopefully didn't infect anyone while on the ship. But I would hope that Joe would take some personal responsibility knowing that he did increase his exposure chances by travelling and takes the proper precautions to prevent spread upon his return.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I think that this is what will happen. Not so much about passing the buck, but trying to get Joe off the ship before he is contagious. If it was say a 14 day cruise,  and Joe flies in the day before. Joe catches covid on -1 day. Joe becomes contagious on day 3 or 4. Mary, Suzanne, Roger, and Jennifer all catch covid from Joe. They all become contagious on day 8 or 9, and pattern repeats exponentially. This is what they want to avoid. If they can kick Joe off the ship right around the time he becomes contagious, then he just joins the many other covid positive/contagious people in Florida.

And, this folks, is what the CDC is worried about from the get go.  They really don't care if you got infected before the cruise, or during the cruise, they only care about what happens after the cruise.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, this folks, is what the CDC is worried about from the get go.  They really don't care if you got infected before the cruise, or during the cruise, they only care about what happens after the cruise.

If the CDC was truly that concerned, then scenes like this would not be happening at college and high school stadiums all over the country.

2020-10-29 152958.JPG

2020-10-29 153246.JPG

2020-10-29 153421.JPG

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

If the CDC was truly that concerned, then scenes like this would not be happening at college and high school stadiums all over the country.

And, again, the CDC does not have any jurisdiction over what happens within a state.  Unless you want them to operate outside the law, which is what many here accuse them of doing.  That is the nature of our federal system of government.  It is up to the state CDC's, or Department of Health, to enforce whatever mandates the state legislature or governor have enacted.

The CDC has tried to use it's "interstate" jurisdiction to attempt to stop all evictions during the pandemic, somewhat stretching things to say that evictions "could lead" to interstate travel by infected persons.  For this, they have been roundly criticized, and sued.

Just because the President says that he and the federal government have ultimate authority over the states in the pandemic, doesn't make it true.  The CDC can only control infectious diseases coming into the US, or between states.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 7

One thing is for sure - if any of the forthcoming vaccines turn out to be useless, the world at large will have to 'live with covid' a lot more than it does currently.  Otherwise world economy will not recover.  So it will be people taking appropriate precautions and health services gearing up to cope with potential extra capacity requirements.  But cruising, and everything else that is currently prevented, will ultimately have to be allowed continue, even without a vaccine.

For example, let's say that it becomes known that a viable vaccine won't happen for 2 years - would any population put up with current restrictions for that long - unlikely.  Already unrest across various countries at restrictions.

By the way, more positively, they say the vaccines coming on-stream in the next few months may have 30% efficacy which, while it sounds low, seemingly is sufficient to have enough impact to get back to near normal with social distancing precautions.  Close as possible to real life.  And cruising!

Edited by podgeandrodge
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

One thing is for sure - if any of the forthcoming vaccines turn out to be useless, the world at large will have to 'live with covid' a lot more than it does currently.  Otherwise world economy will not recover.  So it will be people taking appropriate precautions and health services gearing up to cope with potential extra capacity requirements.  But cruising, and everything else that is currently prevented, will ultimately have to be allowed continue, even without a vaccine.

For example, let's say that it becomes known that a viable vaccine won't happen for 2 years - would any population put up with current restrictions for that long - unlikely.  Already unrest across various countries at restrictions.

By the way, more positively, they say the vaccines coming on-stream in the next few months may have 30% efficacy which, while it sounds low, seemingly is sufficient to have enough impact to get back to near normal with social distancing precautions.  Close as possible to real life.  And cruising!

Not just in the USA, people are demonstrating in Italy, Germany, and Spain against the threat of another lockdown. People are fed up with it and I can't say that I blame them.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, beerman2 said:

“Hopefully” is the key word and was mentioned more than once. I wish them well getting over the high hurdles. 

Again the cruise lines have been hopeful for many months, let’s see how it plays out.

yes im not saying its going to happen on a certain date ,  im referring to the lines getting crew ready, as i said it will not take 6 weeks after the go ahead as some had suggested before. 

Looks like the French are going to export covid to areas of France where the numbers are lower and where lockdowns are not going to take place.
LOL at their attempt of covid control.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not just in the USA, people are demonstrating in Italy, Germany, and Spain against the threat of another lockdown. People are fed up with it and I can't say that I blame them.

I can easily blame them. If we were talking about two year olds or even ten year olds I would understand. But adults? Some of the reactions to lockdowns, mask wearing, distancing, etc. truly illustrate how selfish people can be.

If people are fed up the solution is incredibly simple and well proven. Wear masks properly, stay distant, minimize contacts, wash hands frequently. If everyone does this most lockdowns can be lifted. And will remain lifted so long as the simple solution is practiced by everyone.

• Like 4

Not sure anymore.  Vast majority of people (in Europe anyway) are wearing masks and practicing social distancing, washing hands etc.  And it is worse it is getting.  Sure, there is some complacency creeping in, but not to a huge degree.

It's possible that masks have, if anything, encouraged people to give up a bit on washing hands, they think it's a fix all. 

Nearly everyone wears a mask in retail, and is separated out by 2 metres, so why are they closing retail?

43 minutes ago, Susandt said:

That’s not happening here in michigan

Or PA. Ours are limited to parents only for high school and college. That looks like at least FL and Iowa. Not at all surprised.

as those Iowa fans turn and wave to the children’s hospital, maybe they’ll think “if we can curb the spread, maybe those kids can see a sibling or grandparent again before they die.”

13 hours ago, broberts said:

I can easily blame them. If we were talking about two year olds or even ten year olds I would understand. But adults? Some of the reactions to lockdowns, mask wearing, distancing, etc. truly illustrate how selfish people can be.

If people are fed up the solution is incredibly simple and well proven. Wear masks properly, stay distant, minimize contacts, wash hands frequently. If everyone does this most lockdowns can be lifted. And will remain lifted so long as the simple solution is practiced by everyone.

Well, I disagree. What people are protesting in Europe is the notion of being locked down indefinitely yet again, and although it's tempting (and simplistic) to make it a binary choice, i.e. total lockdowns and curfews vs completely opening up with catastrophic loss of life, it isn't that simple (things in life rarely are). Europe has had disastrous consequences from the earlier lockdowns with billions of Euros in lost revenue, shops and businesses closed, people losing their jobs and unable to provide for their families, etc. The governments don't have the money to continue paying people to stay home because, guess what? They depend on tax revenue from businesses and individuals in order to pay out. No money? No economic assistance to give to idled workers. I think Europeans who are protesting want a third option, which is to continue to operate while observing reasonable safety and cleanliness standards. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking it's either/or, because it isn't.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well, I disagree. What people are protesting in Europe is the notion of being locked down indefinitely yet again, and although it's tempting (and simplistic) to make it a binary choice, i.e. total lockdowns and curfews vs completely opening up with catastrophic loss of life, it isn't that simple (things in life rarely are). Europe has had disastrous consequences from the earlier lockdowns with billions of Euros in lost revenue, shops and businesses closed, people losing their jobs and unable to provide for their families, etc. The governments don't have the money to continue paying people to stay home because, guess what? They depend on tax revenue from businesses and individuals in order to pay out. No money? No economic assistance to give to idled workers. I think Europeans who are protesting want a third option, which is to continue to operate while observing reasonable safety and cleanliness standards. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking it's either/or, because it isn't.

We have a three tier system in England, Medium, high and very high.

What the government opposition is trying to do is shut the whole of England down, whereas the south where I am is very low (medium) up north is high and very high.

this allows business to trade in good areas and restrictions in trade in bad areas.

6AF54B75-6E6D-48AE-A624-D8D0DE71282C.jpeg

CC753634-DE9B-4DD0-A164-151E67975494.jpeg

Officially, Canada, at least, is off the list until March 1st, 2021. I realize that's kind of moot, because nobody cruises here in winter. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if no cruising in Canada all next year. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5696/?sr=1&sd=2

26 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

is there a list of countries that would accept USA departures at this time? without assurance i can visit where i want to go, i dont see the point of even fighting about starting cruising again. 

gotta go somewhere 🙂

I suspect the situation is too dynamic. Policies are changing as we learn more about the disease and how it spreads. Not to mention rapidly changing local situations.