Daytime Activities on Insignia

halfapair

We are thinking of taking a 16 day Panama Canal cruise in December 2021. It will have 7 sea days, one is daytime transit of the Canal. I know Oceania isn’t known for their onboard entertainment (we did a 12 day Baltic cruise on the Marina, but nearly every day was a port day). 

What types of activities, entertainment, etc. can we expect on the Panama Canal cruise during the day?

Off the top of my head 

in the past they had

Bingo, shuffleboard, mini golf, ping pong/table tennis , lectures, trivia, bridge games blackjack tournaments etc..

needlepoint

not daily but  martinis tastings  wine tasting  scotch tasting cooking demos

Seminars  from the Spa  & boutique shops on gems usually 

Afternoon tea not to be missed 😉

I am sure there is more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We love the cooking demonstrations; the pairs of chefs could be comedy teams.

Usually, we find the lecturers quite good.

On Canal transit day, get to Horizons early for a window seat; the person doing the narration was very interesting on our cruise.

I like to play mah jongg on sea days; it was easy to get a game together.

Reading (and dozing) in a shady area of the pool deck really makes me feel like I'm on vacation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Off the top of my head 

in the past they had

Bingo, shuffleboard, mini golf, ping pong/table tennis , lectures, trivia, bridge games blackjack tournaments etc..

needlepoint

not daily but  martinis tastings  wine tasting  scotch tasting cooking demos

Seminars  from the Spa  & boutique shops on gems usually 

Afternoon tea not to be missed 😉

I am sure there is more

You forgot two of my favorites, Baggo, or as known in the South, Cornhole, and drinking. 

On one of the sea days they will have a future cruise presentation, where one lucky person will win some OBC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, halfapair said:

We are thinking of taking a 16 day Panama Canal cruise in December 2021. It will have 7 sea days, one is daytime transit of the Canal. I know Oceania isn’t known for their onboard entertainment (we did a 12 day Baltic cruise on the Marina, but nearly every day was a port day). 

What types of activities, entertainment, etc. can we expect on the Panama Canal cruise during the day?

On our Insignia cruise that transited the Panama Canal there was an outstanding lecturer on board who gave a series of three very informative talks about the canal and its history on sea days leading up to the canal transit day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ORV said:

You forgot two of my favorites, Baggo, or as known in the South, Cornhole, and drinking. 

I could not remember if they had Baggo  on the R ships   I know it was on the O class ships

We did the canal trip on Regatta  twice  & were lucky to have  David  Mc Cullough  as the speaker

3rd  trip on Marina  & they had someone from the Canal do the  talk during the transit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I could not remember if they had Baggo  on the R ships   I know it was on the O class ships

We did the canal trip on Regatta  twice  & were lucky to have  David  Mc Cullough  as the speaker

3rd  trip on Marina  & they had someone from the Canal do the  talk during the transit

That would be quite the treat to have him as the speaker. I read his book before the first time I went through, that was on Celebrity. Second time was on Marina, I don't remember who we had. 

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

3rd  trip on Marina...

Wow, how awesome to hear the author of “The Path between the Seas” on a Panama Canal cruise! 

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

Wow, how awesome to hear the author of “The Path between the Seas” on a Panama Canal cruise! 

yes  very informative   before & during the transit

I had not read his book  before the trip but he was so good in person

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ORV said:

I would imagine that he gets quite a few offers for free cruises from various lines to do that. 

I believe Oceania stopped the free cruise for the lecturers  a while back   they have to pay something for the cruise  & maybe get paid for the lectures they give

It was  several years ago  when he was onboard   not sure he is still doing  those gigs  😉