Does Travel Insurance Cover the CV-19 Pandemic?

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

At an average cost of ~$7,000 per person, that’s a tad more than a “tad”

Like I said, a tad more. As I previously stated, and maybe it's the Christian in me, I love knowing that all Canadians are covered and don't have to worry if they need care. But yes, it does not cover travel health insurance at all.

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Not too early to be planning ahead, but policies may be changing in the future.  There are already a host of exclusions in the travel insurance policies already.

For those with Medicare coverage, be aware that Medicare does not provide any coverage outside the US, one reason we declined Medicare and kept our BCBS coverage in effect.  It provides medical care insurance worldwide and I always pack their info brochure in case.

It's good to research and put the pencil to it.

And also remember that many Medicare Advantage (part D) policies do provide Worldwide coverage.  Policies vary significantly from state to state as well as at the county level.  There are some 50 different Medicare Advantage plans in Arizona!  About 2/3 cover Worldwide travel.  In the several I read - none mentioned COVID as an exclusion.

It is not too early to read up on policies - what is covered and excluded as enrollment for this part of the health insurance market closes in just a few weeks. 

Also definately assume that the health coverage provided by RCL on the Singapore cruises will continue.  Things change.  Non-public transport home today for many would be almost impossible and incredibly expensive because of travel restrictions.

My TA suggested that initial cruises will restrict cruisers to those living near the port.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

44 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

.........Sure we pay a tad more in taxes but we don't even notice it and it's nice knowing that every single Canadian is taken care of in the same way. 

I have read people say it can be a long wait to get some appointments.

53 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Like I said, a tad more. As I previously stated, and maybe it's the Christian in me, I love knowing that all Canadians are covered and don't have to worry if they need care. But yes, it does not cover travel health insurance at all.

So, for a family of four - you, your spouse, and two children, your total "tad" for public health care is ~$28,000. Before I retired, our health insurance (DW and me) was the best plan available in the U.S. (often referred to as a Platinum plan), and the full cost was ~$14,000, ~$3,600 of which was our out of pocket costs, with the rest covered by the employer. Our eldest child - Family of four - on the same plan from the same employer - was exactly the same cost as ours.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

So, for a family of four - you, your spouse, and two children, your total "tad" for public health care is ~$28,000. Before I retired, our health insurance (DW and me) was the best plan available in the U.S. (often referred to as a Platinum plan), and the full cost was ~$14,000, ~$3,600 of which was our out of pocket costs, with the rest covered by the employer. Our eldest child - Family of four - on the same plan from the same employer - was exactly the same cost as ours.

Yeah, I really don't know about the costing to be honest, have never thought about it and doubt I ever will. The important thing to me is every Canadian has coverage. Don't think I'll have to worry about travel insurance any time soon cause looks like our border will be closed for quite some time. Our numbers are climbing again, and yours......well.........

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO w/$0 monthly premium

This sounds like a Part C Medicare Advantage Plan.  It is important to remember when a beneficiary enrolls in a Part C plan, they surrender all rights and protections  awarded and protected under CMS's Medicare  (Part A & B).  In the professional circles of providers, physicians and nurses these plans are frequently referred to as Medicare Disadvantage Plans. I have been in medical/health care quality analytics for the past 40 years.  I feel we do beneficiaries a disservice by not articulating the positives and negatives of a Part C plan.   

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I don't know anything about Platinum plans, but I think I can do you one better. Before I retired which was just last year .... Total medical insurance premiums thru my employer for my husband and myself were $2750 a year, with a $500 deductible and $2500 out of pocket max including the deductible. This was a BCBS PPO policy which covered any and all preventative visits and tests at 100%, no deductible. My husband went thru 2 years of cancer treatments and it never cost us a penny over $2500 each year. It was a great company to work for. We were extremely fortunate! 

5 hours ago, texanapat said:

On my last cruise in February, I caught the flu onboard. I have traditional Medicare and a co insurance plan.  I also took out the travel insurance that they offer.  

Traditional Medicare did not cover and the travel insurance did not cover until I filed with my co insurance plan.  Which they approved the amount charged that RC charged, but went towards my deductible.  I had to send EOB from Co insurance and send to the travel insurance and they paid.  It was a lot of filing but did finally pay.

that's interesting.   Winter 2018 my Mother had a bad flu while on a b2b for 20+ days and the ship doctor came to her cabin gave her medicine, even phoned for tea and bottled water to be delivered to her cabin.    Came back the next day to check on her and see if my Father was okay (he never got it).  She didn't pay a dime nor did she have to submit a claim to anyone.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

that's interesting.   Winter 2018 my Mother had a bad flu while on a b2b for 20+ days and the ship doctor came to her cabin gave her medicine, even phoned for tea and bottled water to be delivered to her cabin.    Came back the next day to check on her and see if my Father was okay (he never got it).  She didn't pay a dime nor did she have to submit a claim to anyone.

They charged me and my friend also got the flu and they charged her also. 

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

And also remember that many Medicare Advantage (part D) policies do provide Worldwide coverage.  Policies vary significantly from state to state as well as at the county level.  There are some 50 different Medicare Advantage plans in Arizona!  About 2/3 cover Worldwide travel.  In the several I read - none mentioned COVID as an exclusion.

It is not too early to read up on policies - what is covered and excluded as enrollment for this part of the health insurance market closes in just a few weeks. 

Also definately assume that the health coverage provided by RCL on the Singapore cruises will continue.  Things change.  Non-public transport home today for many would be almost impossible and incredibly expensive because of travel restrictions.

My TA suggested that initial cruises will restrict cruisers to those living near the port.

How much coverage? We're in CA and our Medicare Advantage plan covers emergency services worldwide but not the follow up

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Could it have been a noro type flu? For that you're not billed. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

15 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Could it have been a noro type flu? For that you're not billed. 

No noro issues on ship as far as she knew.  She became sick the 2nd or 3rd day and dr said probably caught the flu while traveling to port.  

They always purchased rcl travel insurance so my father just figured it was covered without any paperwork.  Guess they got lucky no paperwork of claims to process.

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

How much coverage? We're in CA and our Medicare Advantage plan covers emergency services worldwide but not the follow up

Each plan is different.  What I can relate is being in a hospital ER in Washington State.  My policy covered the ER and all care needed to stabilize.  That involved multiple doctor visits and tests over a period of about 30 days and was told I was ok to travel to Arizona.  The follow up care was considered "urgent" and thus covered.  Treatment could not wait for a 5+ day trip driving home. 

On another occasion was given emergency triage care in a remote area of Canada and flown immediately home where urgent care could be provided.  In both cases we paid copays and a deductible.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

14 hours ago, kastke said:

I don't know anything about Platinum plans, but I think I can do you one better. Before I retired which was just last year .... Total medical insurance premiums thru my employer for my husband and myself were $2750 a year, with a $500 deductible and $2500 out of pocket max including the deductible. This was a BCBS PPO policy which covered any and all preventative visits and tests at 100%, no deductible. My husband went thru 2 years of cancer treatments and it never cost us a penny over $2500 each year. It was a great company to work for. We were extremely fortunate! 

That sounds very similar to the one we had. We paid about $3,600 and our deductible and out of pocket were the same as yours. I got the $14,000 number of of my 1040 tax form, which showed the total cost of the policy that my employer reports to the IRS.