For Those Who Chose Refund

So we chose the refund option on our Thanksgiving Cruise out of Galveston.  It was a "free" cruise and paid for our daughter.  My question is the total charged to my CC was just over $1100 after my daughters portion, taxes, fees and prepaid gratuities.  We noticed a credit back on our card last week but it was about half of what was charged and I couldn't figure out what was refunded.

My question is, has anyone seen this and were you able to get the full refund. 

11 minutes ago, jimmyjam1973 said:

So we chose the refund option on our Thanksgiving Cruise out of Galveston.  It was a "free" cruise and paid for our daughter.  My question is the total charged to my CC was just over $1100 after my daughters portion, taxes, fees and prepaid gratuities.  We noticed a credit back on our card last week but it was about half of what was charged and I couldn't figure out what was refunded.

Most times the refunds come in pieces.  If you pull out your invoice, you can usually find a line item that matches the refund.  It could be just the gratuities for the three of you or taxes and fees or just the cruise fare portion for your daughter.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjam1973 said:

Like others said the refunds come in pieces that are difficult to figure out.  We found the easiest thing was to list each refund and keep a running total.  In the end the total did match what we paid.  It was harder when multiple cruises were canceled at the same time so it was like solving a giant puzzle but it all worked out.   Keep watching and good luck.  

They get it right eventually.  It seems their system keeps track of not only individual payments made, where they came from, and port taxes are in a separate accounting bucket.

My Radiance cancellation took 12 days (which I was very impressed with ), and since money had been transferred from a previous cruise cancelled and transferred, and two different credit cards were used:  I finally had my Big Box TA call up RCCL and make sure this was all from the Radiance.  I have 3 refunds due, so it was pretty confusing.  

RCCL said to call when they come in, because they can look up each reservation and tell my TA the individual amounts.

5 hours ago, jimmyjam1973 said:

We got two payments from 3 cruises - one of $900, another of $200. No explanation. We had our TA call to find out that it was one cancellation; the $900 down payment, and the $200 change fee since we had previously moved that cruise, before the pandemic.

So we are waiting on the refund for another cruise, and have taken the FCC from the third to book a new cruise for next November, which hopefully will be a go.

We received port charges right away. Our cruise fare refund took weeks and was divided into two credits. I had to call Royal to get the second credit. The credit amounts made absolutely no sense and the customer support rep was not able to figure it out. 

As others have recommended- keep a tally of the total amounts- I had no luck trying to match up the amount with a line item.  My refunds came weeks apart and in very strange amounts.  In the end, I was still short $ 429.  After patiently waiting months, I called Royal and they had officially closed my refund - I went through my charges with the rep and they agreed- after talking to a manager- I was actually still owed money.  The rep was great but that was about 7 weeks ago and since then I have only received another $ 200.  Time for another call .... 

16 hours ago, flamingos said:

We got two payments from 3 cruises - one of $900, another of $200. No explanation. We had our TA call to find out that it was one cancellation; the $900 down payment, and the $200 change fee since we had previously moved that cruise, before the pandemic.

So we are waiting on the refund for another cruise, and have taken the FCC from the third to book a new cruise for next November, which hopefully will be a go.

So you got refunded on change fees as well.  I hope we get those too since we had changed once or twice.

I had no other payments than cruise fare and taxes/port fees. Got a tax/port fee reimbursement which did not match the paid taxes/port fees on the invoice and got my cruise fare in 5 installments. That multiplied by 6 more cruises to be refunded was a 3 month bookkeeping nightmare. Nothing matched the figures on the invoices. Last they tried to shy away with some 80 to 120 $ for ea cruise- probably they thought I forgot to keep track (which I did most time) but strong intervention by my TA made them pay MY loaned money