Where Would You Like To Head The QM2 To From NYC....

BklynBoy8

Well there is very little to do on Election Day in NYC and can't keep watching coverage till later on TV later in the evening. So we were going thru our cruise vacation videos of the past.

I came across the last time we left NY Harbor to NE/Canada sailing on the QM2. Video is our favorite. Exiting NY Harbor and sailing under the Verrazano Narrow Bridge with it's spectacular close call illusion all love to experience. Since we will not be sailing for quite awhile we were wondering where we would like to book in the future.

Imagine you are on Deck 13 - Sun Deck of the QM2 experiencing this Sail Away.......Where would like to take the QM2 to ...........

Edited by BklynBoy8

1.First please have QM2 return to the Manhattan Westside Piers...sailing down the Hudson is so special.

2.Bring back the 5 day crossings to / from Southampton so we can get a few days in  London, Paris, etc.

3. Have QM2 do a round the world cruise, et Manhattan...in 100 or less days.  I want X mark the spot where I board & jump on that spot once I've sailed around the globe.

4. A NYC to Rio..a faboo cruise.

6 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

1.First please have QM2 return to the Manhattan Westside Piers...sailing down the Hudson is so special.

Depart from the West Side piers, yes please!

Please also add in a regular continental port in addition to Hamburg, such as Cherbourg, Le Havre or even Cobh.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Depart from the West Side piers, yes please!

Please also add in a regular continental port in addition to Hamburg, such as Cherbourg, Le Havre or even Cobh.  

We too agree and enjoyed the sailing from the West Side Piers like we experienced with the QE2 in the past.

Unfortunately I doubt NYC (Port Authority of NY & NJ) will ever extend those piers since the backside of the QM2 extended too much out of the Hudson River. I remember how either NYPD or US Coast Guard had to patrol the ship when it was docked to avoid a possible incident. That's how Brooklyn Cruise Terminal appeared.

• Like 1

I would really like to see them extend the Caribbean cruises from 12 days to 16 days like they did for a few years.  Although sailing down the Hudson is a wonderful experience, which we have done many times on other cruise lines, Brooklyn is so much easier.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CateW said:

I would really like to see them extend the Caribbean cruises from 12 days to 16 days like they did for a few years.  Although sailing down the Hudson is a wonderful experience, which we have done many times on other cruise lines, Brooklyn is so much easier.

I think our very first cruise with cunard was the 16 night carib x mass .....at the end i really thought i was going to have to get help getting the wife off the ship .....it would not having taken much for me to change my address to the ship. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We too agree and enjoyed the sailing from the West Side Piers like we experienced with the QE2 in the past.

Unfortunately I doubt NYC (Port Authority of NY & NJ) will ever extend those piers since the backside of the QM2 extended too much out of the Hudson River. I remember how either NYPD or US Coast Guard had to patrol the ship when it was docked to avoid a possible incident. That's how Brooklyn Cruise Terminal appeared.

We had sailed a 12 day QM2 carib cruise out of the westside piers back in 2012 or 2013 I believe.  They did have extra security due to the 911 attacks. I don't know if they still do that. 

But the ship can fit...I believe it was just another Carnivore Corp cost cutting to sail out of Brooklyn. It's like RCCL sailing out of Bayonne NJ $$$$

CURRENTLY(pre covid) and in 2021 NCL will be sailing their mega ships from the west side piers.

Last November(2019) I sailed MSC MERAVIGLIA from the westside to Miami(13 days & a lot better than JET BLUE.

AS far as sailing down the Hudson River...theres nothing like seeing the Empire State  & Chrysler Buildings and the rest of Manhattan & then the STATUE OF LIBERTY before heading under the Verrazano Bridge.  With all due respect BROOKLY has its charms but theres nothing like Manhattan.

One of my favorite memories was sailing in January on QE2 World Cruise..I did the first leg...everyone was on deck bundled up

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rotterdam said:

We had sailed a 12 day QM2 carib cruise out of the westside piers back in 2012 or 2013 I believe.  They did have extra security due to the 911 attacks. I don't know if they still do that. 

But the ship can fit...I believe it was just another Carnivore Corp cost cutting to sail out of Brooklyn. It's like RCCL sailing out of Bayonne NJ $$$$

CURRENTLY(pre covid) and in 2021 NCL will be sailing their mega ships from the west side piers.

Last November(2019) I sailed MSC MERAVIGLIA from the westside to Miami(13 days & a lot better than JET BLUE.

AS far as sailing down the Hudson River...theres nothing like seeing the Empire State  & Chrysler Buildings and the rest of Manhattan & then the STATUE OF LIBERTY before heading under the Verrazano Bridge.  With all due respect BROOKLY has its charms but theres nothing like Manhattan.

One of my favorite memories was sailing in January on QE2 World Cruise..I did the first leg...everyone was on deck bundled up

Everyone was on deck bundled up & people were crying as we sailed passed the WTC Site & Statue of Liberty.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I hate to agree with you, but especially these days, I don't see big infrastructure projects by the PANYNJ on the horizon, especially to support cruise ships and liners "of size".  Such a pity though, as departing from the West Side on a liner for Europe is really the ultimate.  Brooklyn just doesn't cut it, and always leaves me feeling a bit deprived, especially since I know what I am missing.

• Like 1

Doing the NYC to CHERBOURG & SOUTHAMPTON RUN would be great...my family did it to visit Paris & get to the rest of the European Continent.

As I've started to sail as transport I was to take a ship from florida to Italy this year as i was planning to buy a home there.( I took the Msc Meraviglia nyc to miami...sure beat Jet Blue & being it was my first mega ship  I enjoyed the 13 day trip.

I agree with my fellow posters, that sailing down the Hudson, past the Statue of Liberty, etc., was  (and still is) the best! I miss that over in Brooklyn. The only thing that the Brooklyn pier has going for it is great and convenient parking. There is some on the Hudson in Manhattan, but harder to get. Manhattan has the glam, Brooklyn has the ease.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

I agree with my fellow posters, that sailing down the Hudson, past the Statue of Liberty, etc., was  (and still is) the best! I miss that over in Brooklyn. The only thing that the Brooklyn pier has going for it is great and convenient parking. There is some on the Hudson in Manhattan, but harder to get. Manhattan has the glam, Brooklyn has the ease.

Mudhen,

I too agree with you with the historical sailing down the Hudson was very memorable. I did it with the QE2 and several other ships. I remember passing it especially after 9-11 which was very sad seeing the "Pit" still smoking. The QE2 over the Promenade Deck speaker played the our anthem with all gathered on deck standing still with honor.

The one thing going to Manhattan in the past was the traffic on the West Side Highway. Living in Brooklyn only 10-12 minutes from the Brooklyn Terminal, I do have the edge over others traveling and don't miss the stop and go traffic once experienced in NYC. Plus it great to leave the ship on disembarking day and home in like 8 mins.

1 hour ago, ClipperinSFO said:

I hate to agree with you, but especially these days, I don't see big infrastructure projects by the PANYNJ on the horizon, especially to support cruise ships and liners "of size".  Such a pity though, as departing from the West Side on a liner for Europe is really the ultimate.  Brooklyn just doesn't cut it, and always leaves me feeling a bit deprived, especially since I know what I am missing.

ClipperinSFO,

Totally agree with the Liner Experience. But glad we are close to the Statue leaving from the Brooklyn Terminal.

13 hours ago, CateW said:

CateW,

Ditto....

My wife and I really miss the Caribbean sailings on Cunard of the past. We use to book the 9, 11 and 13 day sailings. Just enjoying the open deep blue waters for three days straight before reaching Barbados our favorite. Each day at one point we would pass islands on the Port Side from a distance and enjoy the experience. The time before last was a 13 day to Panama and back up the Caribbean Chain. I think it's all about the fuel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

I like that there are no bridges or tunnels between my house and the Brooklyn terminal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CateW,

Ditto....

My wife and I really miss the Caribbean sailings on Cunard of the past. We use to book the 9, 11 and 13 day sailings. Just enjoying the open deep blue waters for three days straight before reaching Barbados our favorite. Each day at one point we would pass islands on the Port Side from a distance and enjoy the experience. The time before last was a 13 day to Panama and back up the Caribbean Chain. I think it's all about the fuel.

Brooklyn Boy & CateW...how true when you note "it's all about the fuel"

The 5 day transatlantic voyages were slowed down to 7 days,hence less fuel cost but also more passenger spending on those 2 extra days.

Anyone that was fortunate to sail in QE2 and or THE FRANCE, knows the difference in how those ships sailed through all sorts of weather as opposed to QM2...its like the difference between flying in a 747 and 

The CONCORDE.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

DC? How close do you want to get?

Not wanting to get into politics, but personally, it's vastly more appealing to me after yesterday's election announcement.

Of course, joking aside, there are so many (free) museums and monuments that it's a great vacation destination, even for non-US visitors. 

...alternatively, they could visit Philadelphia.

Edited by MarkBearSF

I just was referring to the fact that the Potomac river's not all that deep, particularly (AFAIK) north of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. That makes it sub-optimal as a port of call without a long tender ride.

Edited by Underwatr