The Daily for Saturday Nov 14, 2020

richwmn

today is Hindu Diwali Day, Operating Room Nurse Day, and World Diabetes Day

You may have heard that a dean is to faculty as a hydrant is to a dog.
        -- Alfred Kahn

Meal suggestion for today - Seafood and Sausage Stew

Drink of the Day - Cosmopolitan

Wine of the day - Duckhorn Merlot Napa Valley Three Palms Vineyard vintage 2014

at Sea Caribbean
Oosterdam destination Kralendijk Bonaire

Caracas Bay
Eurodam

Katakolo Greece Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

1014World1.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Good collection of days.  Diabetes affects so many and our nurses are so valued , those are well deserved days.

And  for our Hindu friends out there

30F56941-F761-4B9A-8509-B0D2DEB4CA24.jpeg.bfc58d0f971451c70631a5fd2654c9fe.jpeg

Love the quote - my dogs can definitely relate 😉  Oh that meal suggestion sounds intriguing.  Going to have to look that one up.  I do have the fixings 🙂  And it’s certainly cold enough today to warrant a stew.  Looks like our Indian Summer is over!

Haven’t had a Cosmopolitan in years.  I need summer’s reminder of what’s in it.

With all the distressing news on covid, I thought I would share this little smile:

529560D7-C9F3-4E67-A2F7-E042024AAA41.thumb.jpeg.59d5f88f690af3f7c1324d560015b3c9.jpeg

I posted this Dr.’s statement on FB yesterday.  It is ever so true.

518A8271-CD0C-4506-A90E-5A6033A3D380.jpeg.87f61e5f20b89afea353f736654a76a1.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for anyone who needs them and, a toast to everyone on his Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone.  Stay safe & don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 23

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  With Type 2 I'm in tune with World Diabetes Day, Cheers to our OR Nurses, and salute the Hindu faith.  Love the quote but not the meal.  My alternative is Apple Salad with Candied Walnuts, Parmesan Crusted Veal Loin, and Blackberry Crisp, as served on the Prinsendam November 14, 2017:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes14.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors and DH, both Covid positive, after her losing reading sight and a serious accident for DH

Huge Covid spikes, especially the US and Italy

Patience and healing for the USA

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome KirkNC and bdrcole

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Hope for a vaccine

A StLouisCruisers DGD Covid free

Congrats Kim Ng, first female MLB General Manager (Miami Marlins)

Roy                                

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all.  Thank you for the lists.  Love the quote but will pass on the meal.  I would love to see a Hindu celebration.  Looked it up on google and it was interesting.  All nurses need a day everyday.  My niece has Diabetes as have several of my students so more attention needs to be brought to this terrible illness.

Cosmopolitan:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Vodka Citron, 1 oz Cranberry juice, 1/2 oz Cointreau, 1/2 oz Fresh lime juice
Preparation: Add all ingredients into cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and double strain into large cocktail glass. Garnish with lime wheel.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Lemon slice, Lime wedge

Prayers and congratulations to both our lists and those not on them.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. I enjoy the map too. Your little one is adorable!

Hey to my sisters Denise and Ann. Love you girls. Roy thanks for the prayers and cheers. Summer thank you for the recipe.. I love Cosmo's! and lemon drop martini's. We will toast to our nurses tonight with a Cosmo.

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

I like seafood and sausage, but not too sure they belong together in stew....😁

Here in Texas, we call it Gumbo. And it is delicious!

Take care, behave, don't give up! Call a loved one. Blessings to all.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, superoma said:

Jambalaya would qualify, no? Pretty famous seafood and sausage “stew”

I would think so. I know that in the past I have had a seafood "stew" that had large pieces of sausage link in it. I don't remember if it was called Jambalaya or not, but it was pretty good.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 7

Good morning everyone.

Thanks for the Daily Report.  Love the map.

Happy Diwali.

Love the quote.

I'd love a Cosmopolitan. I'll have a glass of wine and toast everyone celebrating. 

Thanks for the dinner suggestion, but  I've got leftover chicken so I will be making a chicken pot pie for us tonight.

Special thanks to your furry helper.  What's his/her name?

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 8

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Another great combination of days to celebrate - lights, precious nurses, and those living with diabetes.  Cheers for all 3!

@richwmnis your helper a recent addition?  He/she looks so tiny compared to my floofy Sochi.  I love Cosmopolitans - especially Grapefruit Cosmos; I almost always order them at happy hour!

Initially I wasn't sure about the menu suggestion, but then realized it's gumbo, which is really delicious!  I'm also impressed with Roy's alternative menu and can't wait to be able to order it again.  We did some grocery shopping yesterday and picked up a couple of small roasts, so will pop one into the oven surrounded with vegetables for an all-in-one-pot meal tonight.  And wine.

Speaking of wine, our province's Covid numbers have been growing daily, so there have been some restrictions in place.  Because of that, we went early to get groceries and noticed that even in the early morning hours, there were almost as many cars at the liquor store as there were at the grocery store.  Priorities!  LOL

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses for all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wear your mask and wash your hands.

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 16

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I have learned so much from the Daily. Now I know about the Hindu Festival of Lights! Happy to see operating room nurses recognized. I am sure this year has been challenging for them. As it has been for those who suffer from diabetes - they are extra vulnerable to COVID. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Another red wine, but it is a star!  @richwmn, is your helper in charge of finding the meal suggestion? It sounds like a great one! Would love to be sipping a Cosmo tonight while watching the sunset from the deck of a Dam ship. Was hoping @Dismomx5would pop in yesterday, since it has been a few days. Hope she’s just having one of those busy, crazy weeks! @ger_77glad to see the folk in your area have their priorities straight.  
🙃. I have a busy day in the garden planned. Then a tiny get together for wine & cheese at a friend’s to wrap up the day.  Can you believe we have hurricane Iota! 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

I believe all the votes have finally been counted! Georgia may still be doing its recount to verify, but the initial tally may finally be done.

OK, I admit that I gulped when I saw the lowest price online was $199.99! But this superbly rated Merlot was #1 on the 2017 Top 100!  So if your budget permits, you might be interested. I believe I visited this vintner was one I visited, when I visited Napa in 2011.

#1 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

In Napa Valley, the 2014 growing season delivered a third exceptional vintage in a row, yielding wines with ideal concentration, elegant tannins and lovely varietal flavors.This classic expression of Three Palms Vineyard Merlot displays beautiful layers of dense dark red fruit, cedar, graphite and cream, as well as hints of wet river rock. Pure and polished on the palate, the rich flavors are underscored by firm, structured tannins and subtle sweet oak that will ensure that this stunning Merlot ages wonderfully for years to come.

Blend: 86% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Malbec, 2% Petit Verdot

WS95
Wine Spectator: A powerful red, with concentrated flavors of red plum, cherry and boysenberry that are layered with plenty of rich spice and mineral accents. Touches of slate and cardamom make for a complex finish. Drink now through 2023.
Edited by cat shepard
Damn typos!
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

OK, I admit that I gulped when I saw the lowest price online was $199.99! But this superbly rated Merlot was #1 on the 2017 Top 100!  So if your budget permits, you might be interested. I believe I visited this vintner was one I visited, when I visited Napa in 2011.

#1 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

In Napa Valley, the 2014 growing season delivered a third exceptional vintage in a row, yielding wines with ideal concentration, elegant tannins and lovely varietal flavors.This classic expression of Three Palms Vineyard Merlot displays beautiful layers of dense dark red fruit, cedar, graphite and cream, as well as hints of wet river rock. Pure and polished on the palate, the rich flavors are underscored by firm, structured tannins and subtle sweet oak that will ensure that this stunning Merlot ages wonderfully for years to come.

Blend: 86% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Malbec, 2% Petit Verdot

WS95
Wine Spectator: A powerful red, with concentrated flavors of red plum, cherry and boysenberry that are layered with plenty of rich spice and mineral accents. Touches of slate and cardamom make for a complex finish. Drink now through 2023.

You lost me at "wet river rock".  Oh, and the price, too.  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Good Morning All,

Can’t be it’s already Saturday! Our covid numbers are up also.☹️

Planning on riding one of the local parks that just re-opened after the fires and the the bit of rain we had. There are no additional trail closures noted, so will see. Google Earth has updated some of the coverage photos, so it may be interesting.

2B1EBBE9-1015-49FC-97F2-69D5145E6787.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

Good morning all.  I have already had a few laughs after reading the posts. Hats off to those that are celebrating today,  our Covid numbers are up in Ontario and our city has moved into the red zone which means even more restrictions.  We don't have any problems following the guidelines but it is obvious that others do.  Costco is right up on things - they are now selling 5 layer masks.   The dinner suggestion sounds yummy and will go on my “to make later” list.  I am not sure if I have ever had the drink - but I will for sure.  We are affected by the ship switch - Zuiderdam to Volendam (next October).  We had a backup plan in case we didn't get the cabins class that we wanted - we did and will stay with the V as we love the itinerary.   My thoughts are with those on Roy's care list and I send my best to you all!🦋💐🍾

• Like 10