New vaccine

hollyjess

3 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I had to have a swab test last August before at our local hospital before an out patient procedure. I was dreading it because I get nose bleeds and easily gag, however it was fine as it was done by a nurse.

My wife had a DIY home swab test as part of the Imperial College study, you really have to put the swab well to the back of your mouth and well up your nose. It makes me wonder how many DIY tests are done properly i.e just waggle the swab around their mouths and only into the outer part of the nostril. 

I received one from Imperial College and wondered the same thing myself.  I was ok because I had been shown how to self swab test as part of the virus trial that I am taking part in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Can someone tell me what’s the joke with the daffodils!! Ive lead a very sheltered life 😳

If we explained it fully, we would be thrown out. It was in a carry on film, Doctor,or Nurse?. I think you imagination may provide the answer.

• Haha 1

Hi....this is good news about the Pfizer vaccine being approved and starting the roll out next week. My question is possibly  more directed at people who understand these things unless I am overlooking the obvious.

Am I correct in thinking that this is the vaccine developed in the USA and if so why are we the first country in the world to approve  it and roll out the vaccine and not the country of development the USA ? 

7 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....this is good news about the Pfizer vaccine being approved and starting the roll out next week. My question is possibly  more directed at people who understand these things unless I am overlooking the obvious.

Am I correct in thinking that this is the vaccine developed in the USA and if so why are we the first country in the world to approve  it and roll out the vaccine and not the country of development the USA ? 

I can only go from my daughter who is a medic. She says that each country has its own approval process and we shouldnt be concerned. Its certainly not an indication that its been "rushed" or its a race. There is urgency but medics are by nature a cautioys bunch. Testing process has beenn compressed mainly by funding and resources being available immediately which is unheard of. My only concern is how long it will be befire certain groups start campaigning to be a priority to get access to the vaccine early. Just very pleased so far that indications are it wont be available to buy privately.  It should be made available according to need, not the ability to pay. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, janny444 said:

I would expect nothing less from a country that seems to be world leading in everything we do. 🥳

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, janny444 said:

It was developed in Germany and produced in Belgium. Moderna is the American vaccine. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, janny444 said:

The vaccine was 'invented' by BionTech in Germany and Pfizer are involved in testing, manufacture and distribution so it is a 'German' vaccine developed by a brilliant husband and wife team who happen to be of Turkish origin who realised their gene vaccine programme for cancer treatment could work with COVID. 

Each country or group of countries has its own approval process.

Ten million doses are initially available so with 2 doses needed per person that is 5 million people vaccinated. there are 5.7 million people over the age of 75 in the UK so with other priority groups included people like me who are 69 with diabetes and 70 next March may well have to wait until next spring for the next 10 million doses to be delivered. the 7 million doses of Moderna vaccine are not due for delivery until spring.

It is interesting that French vaccination programme is not scheduled to start until April so are we being a tad optimistic with 'It will all be over by Easter' 😉

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

It was developed in Germany and produced in Belgium. Moderna is the American vaccine. 

BioNTech,  a German company, and Pfizer developed the virus together. 

Every country have their own licensing  system. The UK has just given their approval first.

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Ten million doses are initially available so with 2 doses needed per person that is 5 million people vaccinated. there are 5.7 million people over the age of 75 in the UK so with other priority groups included people like me who are 69 with diabetes and 70 next March may well have to wait until next spring for the next 10 million doses to be delivered. the 7 million doses of Moderna vaccine are not due for delivery until spring.

Although the Oxford vaccine will probably be available well before then, so hopefully you will not have to wait that long. Plus, as no deep freeze transportation and storage is required, the inoculation programme shoujd be easier to roll out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Although the Oxford vaccine will probably be available well before then, so hopefully you will not have to wait that long. Plus, as no deep freeze transportation and storage is required, the inoculation programme shoujd be easier to roll out.

Agree and hopefully the additional testing programme AstraZenica have announced will not take too long to complete. Apparently they need to verify efficacy of the half dose regime for those of 55 years . I read that this can be done with a much smaller test group than the full programme.

1 minute ago, P&O SUE said:

Typical this news comes out the day after I’ve cancelled my 2021 cruise! It’s really weird not having any idea what I’m doing holiday wise next year!

Don't worry too much about 2021. I have 2 identical cruises booked on Iona for May and September but will probably cancel the May one to give more time for the vaccination programme to have an impact on the disease. 🤞

1 hour ago, janny444 said:

It doesn't really matter who develops or manufactures the vaccine it is down to the regulatory body in our case MHRA to approve it. In the US it is the FDA.  Regulatory bodies around the world have masses of data on Pharma companies, this makes it easier to get approval as a lot of the required information is already there. We were audited by MHRA at least every 2 years and the FDA usually every 4 depending on what drugs we were selling in the US. MHRA has been given emergency powers to approve unlicensed covid vaccines, as opposed to going through the European licensing route. 

• Like 2