New vaccine

hollyjess

Just now, Dinglebert said:

Oddly. If you actually put that in google it comes up with the actual expression

1 minute ago, Dinglebert said:

Oddly. If you actually put that in google it comes up with the actual expression

And that is why the word gullible isn't in the Oxford or Collins dictionary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But there will be some who missed the letter or the venue was too far away, who will be only too happy to have multiple invitations until they are offered a venue they prefer.  How do you differentiate them?

That’s fair enough and I see nothing wrong with phoning up to issue a second invite. Better be safe than sorry. I just thought it was a bit unfair of the poster to call that man a ‘p.......’ as he could already have had more than one invite. 

And I’ve just read the remaining posts now and better understand the context!

One thing I will say, these days all kinds of conditions on the spectrum are diagnosed in childhood and I’m sure that we can all remember some children when we were in school who were a bit ‘different’ or ‘strange’ or ‘not all there’ to use words/phrases used in those days. I often wonder about some adults nowadays, they don’t have a ‘filter’, they’re easily confused, they’re stubborn, they see things in black and white. These conditions aren’t immediately visible but they do exist and explain ‘odd’ behaviour at times.

Edited by Ardennais

DH has just had an email from The Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine asking if he would take part in a trial for two different vaccines, so being done up here as well.  We had originally registered for the vaccine trails, but neither of us took part.  We had our jabs on Tuesday so he is not now eligible for this trial, but would have been happy to do so.

We had the pfizer jab and were fine at first, though had sore arms yesterday and I was a bit generally groggy and my temperature was up by 1C.  Both fine today, but hopefully the reaction means our bodies have started to do what they should in response.  We were given leaflets about the vaccine and also another slip with the main points and also saying we should take paracetamol if we develop a fever.  From something way back in my memory, a conversation which someone had on this thread with yorkshirephil as well as watching a presentation by Dr John Campbell during this last week, I am not so sure that is good advice since it may reduce the response of the body to the vaccine and hence it's effect.  We would not have taken paracetamol, but a personal choice.  I presume a very high temperature could have become a problem though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tring said:

From something way back in my memory, a conversation which someone had on this thread with yorkshirephil as well as watching a presentation by Dr John Campbell during this last week, I am not so sure that is good advice since it may reduce the response of the body to the vaccine and hence it's effect.  We would not have taken paracetamol, but a personal choice.  I presume a very high temperature could have become a problem though.

You are correct - John Campbell covered it recently and others have said the same (having said that, I'm sure there are scientists with a different opinion).  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tring said:

I presume a very high temperature could have become a problem though.

When I had a gastric problem and was told not to take paracetamol under any circumstances my consultant advised me to drink iced water if I had a raised temperature and to take ibuprofen for minor pain. 

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Just got my NHS letter asking me to book my jab via the NHS site. As the mass vaccination centres are many miles away, especially if you don't have access to personal transport, I will wait for the GP hub call. The letter does make it clear that you have the choice. I am 69 so things are moving along nicely as I was expecting to wait until late February or early March.

Paulines cousin got the letter and the nearest vaccine site he was offered was 10 miles away.

His neighbour told him the village doctor was doing vaccines so he rang the doctor and was given a local appointment in walking distance of his house.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

When I had a gastric problem and was told not to take paracetamol under any circumstances my consultant advised me to drink iced water if I had a raised temperature and to take ibuprofen for minor pain. 

That is strange, it is Ibuprofin and the other asprin group of medicines that affect the stomach, so it is usually recommended that you take parcetamol instead. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines cousin got the letter and the nearest vaccine site he was offered was 10 miles away.

His neighbour told him the village doctor was doing vaccines so he rang the doctor and was given a local appointment in walking distance of his house.

Graham, I'm late to the party so apologies. Just catching up and saw your photos. Your eye looks quite painful so I hope you're feeling alright. Sounds like it was a success though which is brilliant.

Totally aside from vaccines - I noticed the sign on your hospital bed said Sunderland. Is that where you and Pauline live? It's where my dad came from and I have such fond memories. My brother has a dog called Roker! Be well. Best wishes. Jane. X 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Graham, I'm late to the party so apologies. Just catching up and saw your photos. Your eye looks quite painful so I hope you're feeling alright. Sounds like it was a success though which is brilliant.

Totally aside from vaccines - I noticed the sign on your hospital bed said Sunderland. Is that where you and Pauline live? It's where my dad came from and I have such fond memories. My brother has a dog called Roker! Be well. Best wishes. Jane. X 

Thanks Jane.

I was in Sunderland eye Infirmary.

We live about mid way between Sunderland and Durham.

I went to Bede grammar school 1968-1973 maybe your dad did too.

My nephew is caretaker at Southmoor school the other big secondary school in Sunderland at that time.

Take care.

Graham x.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

But you still need the second shot for the boost in each situation? And each separate targeting wares away after x weeks or months?.

The new trials are to find out how one dose of each of two vaccines works, compared to two doses of the same vaccine.  So two doses in total for all trial participant. 

When I looked at my emails, I had also been asked to join the trial as had DH earlier.  They were just a few days late asking us though, as we had our first jabs on Tuesday, so are not eligible.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pete14 said:

With respect, I am more likely to trust the results of the trial than guesswork and speculation on a cruise forum or anywhere else.

Absolutely. I’m not referring to this forum, but I’m signed up to a medical forum for a specific condition, and you wouldn’t believe the number of people getting their medical advice (often plain crazy) from there, rather than Consultants.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, grapau27 said:

When I got my letter yesterday, the nearest for me was Wakefield. Tomorrow we go to our local doctor for our jabs, 2 mile away

Avril

• Like 5