New vaccine

hollyjess

Interesting update from the Equality and Human Rights commission in a submission to the government.

Im paraphrasing but they have concluded that it would be “reasonable” to have a manditory vaccination for employees dealing directly with vulnerable older people in care homes (with some safeguards).

They have however warned against more general “no jab, no job” policies in other areas of employment where it might not be proportionate and could be discriminatory.

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Was speaking to my daughter in law yesterday and even though she has already had both jabs a large amount of school gate mum's are not going to get the jab! " the risk of suffering from covid is low at our age". I hope that this isn't a general country wide view.

Having had Covid but not hospitalised I can assure them it is not Covid itself that's the problem, I suffered long covid which has last from May 2020 and I still have some issues. It is a serious disease. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Having had Covid but not hospitalised I can assure them it is not Covid itself that's the problem, I suffered long covid which has last from May 2020 and I still have some issues. It is a serious disease. 

Sorry to hear that, and I hope you're soon fully recovered. 

It's very much not to be underestimated,  but it's very conveniently overlooked by all the gung-ho pundits urging the government to go ahead with 21 June. It'll be interesting to see what happens now that the Pfizer vaccine is approved for 12-15 year old. 

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 12:24 PM, MX-Drew said:

How about this for a strange reason not to have the jab? "It has not been tested on enough people".

That came out the mouth of the my step daughter's boyfriend. I just said how many people do you want to have it first? He could answer but he was worried he would not be able to father a child. I just replied "I hope that's true."

Actually, I can understand the "it has not been tested on enough people" fear.

All the results are short term results - there is still the potential for as yet unknown long term side effects.

At the beginning of 2020 I was one of those saying, "I won't rush to have a vaccine until it has been in general use for a few years".

At the beginning of 2021 I was one of those anxiously reading to see whether my age group had been reached.

By then, I realised that the real risk of Covid far outweighed the possible risk of unknown long term effects.

Happy to say I am now fully vaccinated - but I can still understand (even if not agree) why some people, especially the younger generation, are nervous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Was speaking to my daughter in law yesterday and even though she has already had both jabs a large amount of school gate mum's are not going to get the jab! " the risk of suffering from covid is low at our age". I hope that this isn't a general country wide view.

This is my experience too StM.  Very poor response at my surgery this week to the invites for the 25 year olds.  We are doing our very best to encourage but there comes a point where we have to back off before we get accused of "stalking".  "It's my right not to have the vaccine" is becoming a well used phrase.  My daughter is a school cook.  She's 38 and double vaccinated and has been doing her best with the school gate mums too - without much success.  Best wishes. Jane.x

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

My sympathies MX-Drew.  One of the receptions staff where I work caught Covid in early December (she refused the vaccine at the time) and is really poorly with Long Covid.  She's suffering from all sorts of unpleasant symptoms and persistent brain-fog.  Not nice.  Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 1

One of the reasons we have all been vaccinated, is to protect others,  and of course ourselves.

So, with my two vaccinations, I am extremely unlikely to suffer should I catch Covid, and also to pass on the virus to others.

So why, exactly can I not go to Portugal? If someone who is fully vaccinated cannot travel, it doesn't really inspire the unvaccinated to get the jab.     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

One of the reasons we have all been vaccinated, is to protect others,  and of course ourselves.

So, with my two vaccinations, I am extremely unlikely to suffer should I catch Covid, and also to pass on the virus to others.

So why, exactly can I not go to Portugal? If someone who is fully vaccinated cannot travel, it doesn't really inspire the unvaccinated to get the jab.     

I would like to think that we are very close to the point where we can get on with our lives. Not much chance of catching it and fairly mild if we do. The Nepal variant will be overtaken by another, then another. Variants will come along until Covid 19 goes away. Then along comes Covid 23. To be extra safe, lockdown forever. Life is risky.

Met with my daughter and granddaughters yesterday evening, she was telling me that the father of her friend was asked to take an antigen test following his 2 vaccinations, the NHS are randomly asking people. His results when they came back showed that he not only had the relevant markers from the vaccine but also markers which indicated he had had Covid. He has no idea when that happened as he has not felt ill during the whole pandemic apart from infrequent headaches,  an eye infection and a twisted ankle. He must have been asymptomatic but didn’t pass it to either his wife or son, who has lived with him for the last year as he couldn’t get back to Australia where he normally lives. 

In March 2020 I had a sore throat and aching joints for about 2 - 3 weeks, spoke with 111 at the time who said it wasn’t Covid and to get medication from pharmacy and take paracetamol. However if I had those symptoms today I would be told to get tested I wonder how many more people out there are the same, had Covid but didn’t show the standard symptoms at the time and it tested it would show that they had. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Met with my daughter and granddaughters yesterday evening, she was telling me that the father of her friend was asked to take an antigen test following his 2 vaccinations, the NHS are randomly asking people. His results when they came back showed that he not only had the relevant markers from the vaccine but also markers which indicated he had had Covid. He has no idea when that happened as he has not felt ill during the whole pandemic apart from infrequent headaches,  an eye infection and a twisted ankle. He must have been asymptomatic but didn’t pass it to either his wife or son, who has lived with him for the last year as he couldn’t get back to Australia where he normally lives. 

In March 2020 I had a sore throat and aching joints for about 2 - 3 weeks, spoke with 111 at the time who said it wasn’t Covid and to get medication from pharmacy and take paracetamol. However if I had those symptoms today I would be told to get tested I wonder how many more people out there are the same, had Covid but didn’t show the standard symptoms at the time and it tested it would show that they had. 

In December 2019, before Covid reared it's head I went to buy a new car. I didn't feel 100%. Did I have Covid?. Who knows, but I bet lots of folk may have had it and didn't know.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

In December 2019, before Covid reared it's head I went to buy a new car. I didn't feel 100%. Did I have Covid?. Who knows, but I bet lots of folk may have had it and didn't know.

We think my wife’s mother had it at beginning of February 2020 she was quite ill for a week, high temperature and a cough, was put down a flu like virus, she very tired for about 6 months after. Is OK now, but makes you wonder.

In early January we were in the tearoom at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, there was a Chinese Couple about 6 tables away, the lady sitting at the table sweating profusely her husband mopping her brow, after about 20 mins they left. I am left wondering did she have Covid? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We think my wife’s mother had it at beginning of February 2020 she was quite ill for a week, high temperature and a cough, was put down a flu like virus, she very tired for about 6 months after. Is OK now, but makes you wonder.

In early January we were in the tearoom at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, there was a Chinese Couple about 6 tables away, the lady sitting at the table sweating profusely her husband mopping her brow, after about 20 mins they left. I am left wondering did she have Covid? 

Pretty soon we will have around 80% or so of adults Jabbed and will start on younger folk. As of today 801 are in hospital, most will be out after a few days. The vaccine rollout has been a great success. It's about time we started reaping the dividend. Give people the freedom to make their own choices.  If they don't feel safe, don't go. No one is being forced

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Very good point.

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Conversely, I've had two vaccine shots, some time back, and just had an antibody test which shows no Covid antibodies, so the vaccine hasn't had any effect.  Immunosuppressants are the culprit, but there are between 500,000 and a million people in this position, so it's quite a few vaccinated people that are getting no protection.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Conversely, I've had two vaccine shots, some time back, and just had an antibody test which shows no Covid antibodies, so the vaccine hasn't had any effect.  Immunosuppressants are the culprit, but there are between 500,000 and a million people in this position, so it's quite a few vaccinated people that are getting no protection.

Oh Harry I’m sorry to hear that. This is exactly why everyone should be vaccinated to keep those that can’t have the vaccine (for medical reasons) or are immunosuppressed as safe as possible......

• Like 7

Just found you can get cases data by age on goverment  PHE website.  Only 200 cases out of today's  5300 cases were over 60, under 4% of cases . Shows vaccination works on cases. Of course even better on hospital admissions. 

As over 60's are nearly   half population then once everyone's vaccinated can expect cases to drop to circa 500 a day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Just found you can get cases data by age on goverment  PHE website.  Only 200 cases out of today's  5300 cases were over 60, under 4% of cases . Shows vaccination works on cases. Of course even better on hospital admissions. 

As over 60's are nearly   half population then once everyone's vaccinated can expect cases to drop to circa 500 a day.

Where exactly on the PHE site, I can't find it

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Cornwall and Isles of Scilly

Go into it as normal , You have to at the top where ìt says United Kingdom in blue touch this and then change this to England,  or a smaller area , eg Cornwall  where i live. You then get more detail than is available at national level 

Cases are v much skewed to the young end - but there are a lot, and rising

Age Distribution of English Cases [6th June 2021]

[n=4,287]

0-9: 5.37% (230)
10-19: 18.80% (806)
20-29: 31.54% (1,352)
30-39: 18.71% (802)
40-49: 12.60% (540)
50-59: 8.37% (359)
60-69: 3.20% (137)
70-79: 0.89% (38)
80-89: 0.49% (21)
90+: 0.05% (2)

6 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Cornwall and Isles of Scilly

Go into it as normal , You have to at the top where ìt says United Kingdom in blue touch this and then change this to England,  or a smaller area , eg Cornwall  where i live. You then get more detail than is available at national level 

OK thanks, found it eventually, looks good for us 70 year olds 🤞

53 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

[n=4,287]

Great to see the vaccine doing its thing though! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Great to see the vaccine doing its thing though! 

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

[n=4,287]

Obviously,  because the young have not been vaccinated. As the vaccination programme extends to the 20+ age group, infection rates will drop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Obviously,  because the young have not been vaccinated. As the vaccination programme extends to the 20+ age group, infection rates will drop.

Once again Wowzz and I are on same pagr

Which was my original point #6317 that once younger have been vaccinated  infection rate will drop DRAMATICALLY.  

Thought it was good news,   but some posters  glasses are always half empty. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Thought it was good news,   but some posters  glasses are always half empty. 

That was my thought as well. The near zero figure for the over 60s was totally ignored!

• Like 3