New vaccine

hollyjess

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Thanks Kalos. I wasn't upset - just embarrassed really because these damaging articles can be very emotive and have the power to lay waste to all the the great work that's currently happening. I really should stop reading Mail Online. I don't have a cat but my gorgeous  Cockerpoo, Ted, having read these posts has rushed off the hide anything that looks like a syringe! Thanks again and best wishes. J.x

Jane, we were vaccinated yesterday at a local Boots and  it was friendly and efficient, and all the staff went out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable and at ease.

I would imagine this applies to the vast majority of vaccination hubs, and as regards any left over vaccine before closing, they were using the AZ vaccine so with 2 vaccination stations they would only have 2 part used vials at the most.  As others have said, we don't want any wasted so I hope all the hubs have a procedure in place to bring people in at short notice.

Edited by terrierjohn

And I bring news from Middlesbrough about the vaccine - my brother (70) and his wife (64, no medical conditions) have just received their call-up papers for the jab this afternoon. Their GP is operating a system whereby partners/husbands and wives have the jab at the same time as their other halves, regardless of age. Anyone heard of other areas doing this?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

And I bring news from Middlesbrough about the vaccine - my brother (70) and his wife (64, no medical conditions) have just received their call-up papers for the jab this afternoon. Their GP is operating a system whereby partners/husbands and wives have the jab at the same time as their other halves, regardless of age. Anyone heard of other areas doing this?

Sounds eminently sensible, because in the vast majority of cases the age gap will be small, and it’s an effective way of covering people efficiently.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Thanks for brightening up this page with some positive happy/good news :classic_smile:

The Mrs and I was just talking about the very same subject yesterday.

As you possibly know from my posts in the past ,I have a serious health condition and because of this we are now in different priority groups but as she is my registered carer ,we would hope to be done at the same time .

I hope this is the case but if not ,it is what it is. Thanks for sharing your info and hope all goes well for your brother and his wife .:classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have decided that the way that some of the posts are going I am no longer comfortable to continue so I will say goodbye.  Thank you to everyone who has shown support to me and others.  I hope that you and your families all stay well and get to enjoy cruising in the near future.  

Hello Josy.  I'm new to the forum and have found a huge welcome from all.  I don't think we've ever 'spoken' but it's obvious from all the replies to your post that you are much valued and there is genuine fondness for you.  From a newbie - please don't leave.  Just ignore everything you find troublesome and when in doubt **** 'em all!  With best wishes and the hope that we will speak again.  Jane.x

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sounds eminently sensible, because in the vast majority of cases the age gap will be small, and it’s an effective way of covering people efficiently.

I agree, and very much hope your wife gets hers at the same time as you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

Thanks for brightening up this page with some positive happy/good news :classic_smile:

As you possibly know from my posts in the past ,I have a serious health condition and because of this we are now in different priority groups but as she is my registered carer ,we would hope to be done at the same time .

I hope this is the case but if not ,it is what it is. Thanks for sharing your info and hope all goes well for your brother and his wife .:classic_smile:

I had already wondered if they might do this and hope my son-in-law is done at the same time as my youngest daughter (on the priority list). Fingers crossed for you and your wife - it makes sense to do couples together, particularly for those at high risk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

It does seem unfair that costs for solo's are prohibitive.It may be worth keep looking in case Princess have a 'solos' offer at some time in the future.It;s a big ship to fill!.You certainly deserve another holiday with all the work you are doing to help us all.Hopefully if not on this October cruise, we might meet up on a cruise in the future.Take Care 

I hope so too Ann.  That's a good idea though - to keep a look out for future solo offers.  You never know.  I'm absolutely determined to meet some of you at some stage - you've all kept me sane, kept me laughing, crying and have given me the biggest welcome I could have expected.  Take care too.  Jane.x

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Thank you, Annie - that's a kind thought. 

I'm probably going to get offered mine in the next couple of weeks (no great rush - it won't change anything until there's some further information on whether the vaccine works for the immunosuppressed) and since she's 70 in just a few months it would be great to be able to get hers at the same time if that's possible.  If not, no matter - it won't be long, and we're not going anywhere!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

It would be nice if that happened here, as I'm in a different group to my husband.

However, the place where our vaccinations are likely to  happen is only 10 minutes walk away, so it won't be any trouble to go separately, and I think that will be the most likely outcome round here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m actually quite “happy” about the variations.  Hopefully it means that every area is approaching the vaccination task in the way that suits it best -  high population density, sparsely populated, lots of elderly, etc etc.  I’d much rather that than a government imposed one-size-fits-all

Face it - getting the jab isn’t going to allow us ‘down the pub’, in cinemas, theatres and restaurants, or on holiday, any time soon.  Nothing is going to open in a hurry (i hope).  We’re not missing out.  Just waiting patiently till everyone is done

That is a good way of looking at it - we aren't 'safe' until we are all 'safe' 

• Like 2

I came on here a while ago with a  problem which was worrying me,  i.e. I could not get in touch with our GP at all.  Have now managed to speak to them, and I was  very relieved that they are still working (they have been a slightly failing practice in the past), but they have heard  nothing from the NHS about doing vaccinations for anyone, or a list of those who did not answer the NHS letter.  She sounded pretty cheesed off about it, understandably, as their patients keep ringing them up.

This is one of the smaller practices in Newark.  

So I will just have to be patient, even though DH is 93 and pretty well housebound, and I think we will probably get a home visit in the end.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, lincslady said:

I came on here a while ago with a  problem which was worrying me,  i.e. I could not get in touch with our GP at all.  Have now managed to speak to them, and I was  very relieved that they are still working (they have been a slightly failing practice in the past), but they have heard  nothing from the NHS about doing vaccinations for anyone, or a list of those who did not answer the NHS letter.  She sounded pretty cheesed off about it, understandably, as their patients keep ringing them up.

This is one of the smaller practices in Newark.  

So I will just have to be patient, even though DH is 93 and pretty well housebound, and I think we will probably get a home visit in the end.

I hope they get their act together soon - I can imagine how you feel.  When they start doing my age group, I admit I will start to feel a bit anxious if everyone else seems to be getting their jab and haven't heard anything at all! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone

I had not intended to post this week because my previous posts all looked so whingey and grizzling but I've been following you all and am a bit  upset by some of the content, namely:

1) Giving vaccines to buddies: please be assured that in my hub at least this does not happen. I go armed with a list of patients who I have spoken to previously and who could get to the hub with very short notice. Bear in mind that some of these lovely people have to rely on a lift from family/friends/neighbours and it's not always possible. If, and only if, there are any left, and we have exhausted all means of getting people in, we have given the vaccine to the volunteers who are on-site. They are at huge risk as are often in contact with between 400 and 900 potential carriers every day so I think that's justified. Anything rather than waste a single shot. No cats yet Phil! I do however feel embarrassed and ashamed if this "buddy" system is going on in some areas. Sorry on their behalf if it's been at the expense of any patients who should have been given those vaccines.

2) Scammers: We've heard about this and it's despicable. My surgery, and all others in my hub, are either telephoning or texting patients. If in doubt about a contact, please phone your surgery to check it out and report it. Never ever give card details. It sounds obvious but I can see how people can be taken in by a plausible caller. I believe the mass vaccine sites are contacting people by letter but even then, they already have all your information and card details will never be requested. You guys on here are all very savvy and probably wouldn't be taken in but do warn all your less- able friends and neighbours. 

Finally, some good news from me - at last, you're all saying. This week, having received a delivery of the AZ, we are visiting the housebound from all eight practices to give the vaccine. We are telephoning in advance so they are expecting us and are very happy to finally be able to reach these patients. Sometimes, tea is offered, and that's a welcome relief from a cold tent!

I'm really heartened to read that so many of you have received, or have a date, for your vaccine. Good luck and be prepared for the sore arm! 

Be well, be safe, and best wishes. Jane.x

Thank you again for another helpful and reassuring post. I always look forward to reading them, knowing that we will be given  honest facts and not confusing theories.

Avril

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have decided that the way that some of the posts are going I am no longer comfortable to continue so I will say goodbye.  Thank you to everyone who has shown support to me and others.  I hope that you and your families all stay well and get to enjoy cruising in the near future.  

Please keep posting.

The vast majority of us appreciate your posts so if any posts upsets you report them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning Jane, please do not get upset, it is a news paper article that the NHS said they are investigating from the Manchester area . Nothing to say their guilty and people were reacting like it was a National scandal. Everyone who posted is in agreement not a single drop should be wasted , so if the Hozzie cat strolls on by please feel free :classic_wink: 

I think I speak for everyone on here " You and all your staff , not just at your hospital are doing an amazing job and we love what your doing to keep us all safe .

Thank You  Keep safe ,for all our sakes .:classic_smile:

+1 absolutely agree with Kalos.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

We had ours on the same date, but our age gap is only 11 days, and I am Paulines carer and wheelchair pusher. How much any of those issues were taken into account when the letters were sent out I have no idea.

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thank you, Annie - that's a kind thought. 

I'm probably going to get offered mine in the next couple of weeks (no great rush - it won't change anything until there's some further information on whether the vaccine works for the immunosuppressed) and since she's 70 in just a few months it would be great to be able to get hers at the same time if that's possible.  If not, no matter - it won't be long, and we're not going anywhere!

I'm immunosuppressed as well but I had read that it would still work but perhaps just not so effectively?I hope so

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I hope you both get your vaccine jabs ASAP.

Take care.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I'm immunosuppressed as well but I had read that it would still work but perhaps just not so effectively?I hope so

The French Valneva vaccine (which is being produced here in Scotland) is an old fashioned style inactivated virus vaccine and from what I have read may be better for the most vulnerable or those who are immunosuppressed.

Unfortunately  it will not be available until later this year but if this becomes a rolling vaccine programme then it is perhaps an option. 

• Like 2

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

The French Valneva vaccine (which is being produced here in Scotland) is an old fashioned style inactivated virus vaccine and from what I have read may be better for the most vulnerable or those who are immunosuppressed.

Unfortunately  it will not be available until later this year but if this becomes a rolling vaccine programme then it is perhaps an option. 

It would be nice to think I could have the current vaccine now and perhaps one more suitable if its necessary to have one every year

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I’m immunosuppressed too and have already had my first AZ jab (NHS staff before anyone starts 🙄).

I did have some side effects which tells me that it is stimulating an immune response. It might not be the full response but it’s better than nothing.

It’s very disappointing and upsetting  to read some of the posts from last night. We’re trying our best to get you all jabbed as quickly as we can and it may be moving quicker in some areas than others but your turn will come.

We’ve vaccinated just over 75% of our staff and of the other 25% the majority of those can’t have the vaccine yet because they’ve either got COVID-19 or recovering from it. So next time some armchair critic wants to say that the NHS should be doing more just take a second to think about what we are having to deal with and, with respect, wind your neck in!

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I think that's right - and the advice I had was to get whatever was offered, on the basis that there is only upside, no downside, to doing so.

This is perhaps of interest, and I understand that trials are well underway to find something that can be 'guaranteed' to be effective for those of us in this position:

Use in patients taking immunosuppressive medicines

Public Health England’s Immunisation Against Infectious Disease (The Green book) states that immunosuppressed patients, due to disease or treatment are clinically extremely vulnerable and should be vaccinated against COVID-19. According to both the Patient Group Direction for COVID-19 mRNA vaccine BNT162b2 (Pfizer/BioNTech) and the Patient Group Direction for COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, (ChAdOx1-S [recombinant]) there are no groups of potentially immunosuppressed patients that should be excluded from receiving the vaccine based on their treatment or disease alone. It is, however, noted that some immunosuppressed patients may have a suboptimal response to the vaccine and should therefore continue to avoid exposure unless they are advised otherwise by their doctor.

Taken from:  

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/using-covid-19-vaccines-in-patient-taking-immunosuppressive-medicines/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ann141 said:

It would be nice to think I could have the current vaccine now and perhaps one more suitable if its necessary to have one every year

That seems to be the plan. according to the medics I've spoken to.  It's very positive, as I see it, in the short to medium term.

• Like 1