River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Jazz I know what you mean. Our educators mean the best but I know there is stuff some will never ever ever know happened. River cruising and chatting with what are already to some extent like minded people is so so useful. Many of us regardless of creed, colour or ethnicity actually when you get down to the nitty gritty are really similar so to discover is very useful.

On a lighter note has anyone seen little green men and is there an European ‘area 51’. Who does everyone else have to report UFO sightings to?

• Like 1

Just now, Canal archive said:

is there an European ‘area 51’

Never heard of one, but like in the UK we have "forbidden zones" in Germany for army training. Perhaps the area is hiding in plain sight, in a building with number 51 on the door... Question is where. I would go for Lüneburg Heath. Talking of weird places. Switzerland has roadside villas that can kill an army. Behind the facade there are bunkers with weaponry in them. Read up on the "Toblerone LIne". Defenses  built during WWII.

Mauthausen. A brutal thing. I have no intention of ever going there. A pity is the fact that I can never see the town as a tourism place. I never knew a town actually existed until some years ago, for me since school it had always been "Lager Mauthausen".

notamermaid

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving all! We're celebrating in the Atlanta Airport now. Almost home from a very fun trip to Finland. 

We very much enjoyed our time in Helsinki, and got to see an amazing Northern Lights display way up north in Saariselkä. 

But the Delta Sky Club had turkey with the fixings. So we did get to partake in that. So, it was a great holiday. 

• Like 3

Happy Thanksgiving to you over there.

I have of course no connection to that holiday but guess what I got into the Christmas holiday spirit! After glum days, last night my mood changed because I saw the announcement on the internet that the "Love Actually" people are doing an interview special as a twenty years celebratory thing. I was a bit slow to catch the Christmas market and Advent spirit but last night a big smile was put onto my face. Wish I could watch it on ABC. Streaming on another channel is probably not available to me either. But I have the trailer that I can watch again and again. :classic_smile::classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 1

So Germany is playing Spain today. Oh well, this year - how can I say this without saying anything - I am not interested. I have almost completely stopped watching German news, German television and hardly read the papers. My favourite Google searches include local history, Rhine, ship, cruise and - that's about it.

Yesterday I talked to young people standing out in the cold, okay, protected by the wooden walls of a hut, from a Christian parish offering books and giving me an invitation to a free concert of Christmas music. Really refreshing and uplifting.

Have a great first Sunday of Advent. 🕯️

notamermaid

• Like 3

I’ve decided to get a set of noise cancelling headphones. Evidently Germany has its work cut out as their group is just a tad even. Heaven knows what Belgium is up to. Englands not shown any flair and Wales is in a little trouble. So who do we cheer for apart from France or Spain. I usually enjoy a good game of football to watch but not this World Cup to much politics.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

not this World Cup to much politics.

Well I shall put a hand over my mouth or bite my tongue - you know I did not want to say anything. With our boys I secretly hope it was the bad sushi - or the lamb in spices was old mutton...

Busy day at work yesterday, we are still one person short in the team and had one person ill, too. Christmas market visit did not go quite as planned but I had really nice apple cake this afternoon.

Dinner and then I shall grab the "Love Actually" DVD. Early night tonight as I have a busy day tomorrow and give three cheers not to football but to the plumber after he has repaired my leaking boiler hopefully by tomorrow evening.

notamermaid

1 minute ago, CPT Trips said:

When will the English serenade us with “There’ll be no drinking in Qatar,” (to the tune of “She’ll Be Coming ’Round the Mountain”)?

It doesn't seem to scan quite right, so I think it would require some drinking in preparation.  Oh wait, that's the point...

This is like the old 1930s joke from Mr. Dooley:  "Prohibition makes you want to cry in your beer, but denies you the beer to cry into..."

• Haha 2

A catch-22 situation if ever there was one. Or as we say "Da beißt sich die Katze in den Schwanz". There the cat bites itself in the tail.

Okay, you lot got me, I have looked up the score, 1 all now.

Onto Bill Nighy - "I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes". And then - my favourite swearing in a film. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Watching a programme about Regent Seven Seas they are just about to dock in Bordeaux.

Hey - I was there about 2 weeks ago. I went to the Cité du Vin which is one of the most bizarre museums I have been to. Think interactive children's museum but for adults and about wine! Bordeaux was a pretty cool city to walk around. Wish I could have spent more time there!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Coral said:

Hey - I was there about 2 weeks ago. I went to the Cité du Vin which is one of the most bizarre museums I have been to. Think interactive children's museum but for adults and about wine! Bordeaux was a pretty cool city to walk around. Wish I could have spent more time there!

An absolutely on target description of Cité du Vin. One needs to pre-imbibe to properly enjoy the museum. And here’s a place right across the street to prepare. https://biltoki.com/en/halles/bacalan/

My favorite memory of that cruise. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ac40a78cd78557e6a082f7be29db5e1f.jpeg

Edited by CPT Trips
Add photo
  • Like 1

Bill Nighy one of my favourite actors.

We are going to have to take another Bordeaux cruise so many different interesting things to see and appreciate and yes it’s a wonderful city.

image.thumb.jpeg.234e512ca14517515b4c796eb32f856c.jpeg
Sailing in the estuary.

image.thumb.jpeg.c02ab25496f2a861b78db1b23f179bbc.jpeg

Airbus wings being shipped through Bordeaux to Toulouse, it all happens in Bordeaux!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

An absolutely on target description of Cité du Vin. One needs to pre-imbibe to properly enjoy the museum. And here’s a place right across the street to prepare. https://biltoki.com/en/halles/bacalan/

My favorite memory of that cruise. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ac40a78cd78557e6a082f7be29db5e1f.jpeg

That is an awesome picture! I wasn't there at night but wish I was!

I really wish I had spent more time in the museum to fully appreciate it. I should say I wish I had spent more time in Bordeaux to take more of the vibe in but I am glad I went and saw it then not to have seen it at all!

I went from the Cité du Vin one day to the Guggenheim in Balbao soon after. Another very unusual museum and worthy of seeing! Both need a whole day.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, Coral said:

That is an awesome picture! I wasn't there at night but wish I was!

Thanks. Would you believe an iPhone 7, handheld. Take enough pictures and every now and then, one like this. Everything just fell together that evening. 

We had an overnight there on a London to Lisbon itinerary and docked about a kilometer from where I took that shot on an after dinner walk. 

• Like 1

Always take loads and loads of pics my dad taught me that he self loaded film canisters and I got the best husband ever he worked for a photographic company. Every time a new film or camera type came out he’d come home and hand me everything and just say throw that film through that. Obviously pre phones now you’ve got me thinking as mines a 7 so must try better.

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Always take loads and loads of pics my dad taught me that he self loaded film canisters and I got the best husband ever he worked for a photographic company. Every time a new film or camera type came out he’d come home and hand me everything and just say throw that film through that. Obviously pre phones now you’ve got me thinking as mines a 7 so must try better.

I never had a 7, but my 13 Pro is miles above the results I could get with a 6.  Three lenses means never having to use the 'digital zoom.'  My Lumix FZ1000 MkII is still better, but the best sunset pictures I got was through the tinted window of the minivan!  [OK, the colors may have been fake, but they were much more saturated than with the naked eye...]