Regal Princess v P&O

Presto2

7 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

How do you know that? And how are they going to count it? I also wonder, what a "drink" actually mean in their language.. is it a bottle, a cup, a shot? In any case, I agree that alcohol consumption should be limited on board.. we got kids and families on board as well 

P&O do the same. 15 alcoholic drinks pppd from 6am for 24hrs 

11 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

How do you know that? And how are they going to count it? I also wonder, what a "drink" actually mean in their language.. is it a bottle, a cup, a shot? In any case, I agree that alcohol consumption should be limited on board.. we got kids and families on board as well 

The rules and regulations are outlined on the website.  Firstly you must be a minimum of 18 years of age on Princess sailings out of Southampton to consume alcohol.  The waiters swipe the cruise card, to keep count so if a couple order a drink each,  two cards need to be proffered to keep the correct personal total.  You are not allowed to order more than one drink per card at the same time.  At mealtimes you need to order by the glass as the deal does not include bottles. There is a definition of what a drink is and it more or less covers all single glasses but there might be a top limit to exclude premium Brandy etc. not sure on that one.  Soft drinks will be included in the figure too.  I suspect you did not realise an an English person my suggestion of limiting alcoholic drinks to just fifteen per person per day was actually saying - "This is a ridiculously high number to consume".

Regards John

Edited by john watson

19 minutes ago, john watson said:

The rules and regulations are outlined on the website.  Firstly you must be a minimum of 18 years of age on Princess sailings out of Southampton to consume alcohol.  The waiters swipe the cruise card, to keep count so if a couple order a drink each,  two cards need to be proffered to keep the correct personal total.  You are not allowed to order more than one drink per card at the same time.  At mealtimes you need to order by the glass as the deal does not include bottles. There is a definition of what a drink is and it more or less covers all single glasses but there might be a top limit to exclude premium Brandy etc. not sure on that one.  Soft drinks will be included in the figure too.  I suspect you did not realise an an English person my suggestion of limiting alcoholic drinks to just fifteen per person per day was actually saying - "This is a ridiculously high number to consume".

Regards John

Soft drinks are separate to the 15 drink limit on P&O, it is purely for alcohol. 

19 minutes ago, john watson said:

Regards John

Of course now, there is no card to swipe, just the medallion on most Princess ships. 

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Of course now, there is no card to swipe, just the medallion on most Princess ships. 

Love the idea of this but not the idea of actually wearing it. I’d have preferred them making the cruise card like a contactless bank card with the same perks as the medallion instead. 

4 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Love the idea of this but not the idea of actually wearing it. I’d have preferred them making the cruise card like a contactless bank card with the same perks as the medallion instead. 

You can use your phone instead, if you download the app. 

50 minutes ago, joeecco said:

From what I can gather, it is usually supplied with a lanyard to wear around your neck but of course, there would then be nothing to stop you putting it your bag or pocket. Being Princess of course, there are other chargeable options such as a necklace, bracelet or small clip that would go on a lapel or pocket etc.

47 minutes ago, Britboys said:

From what I can gather, it is usually supplied with a lanyard to wear around your neck but of course, there would then be nothing to stop you putting it your bag or pocket. Being Princess of course, there are other chargeable options such as a necklace, bracelet or small clip that would go on a lapel or pocket etc.

I should have thought Princess might offer an option to mount it on a Tiara for formal nights.

Regards John

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, john watson said:

I should have thought Princess might offer an option to mount it on a Tiara for formal nights.

Regards John

Or, for the men, on a gold chain to wear round your neck for 70s Night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

With Princess, once you get to know the waiters and if you are in a group they will tell you you are about to hit the 15 drink limit, they will then let you have someone elses drink as long as you are not drunk. That happened to me a few times.

• Like 2

We had a medallion issued to us on Crown Princess in 2019 complete with lanyard and took it off the lanyard and just put medallion in your pocket. Never had an issue with using it no different than a cruise card. There are many other options for your medallion i.e. bracelet, necklace and many others available at a price and usually shown in a cabinet on the ship

Edited by majortom10

On 11/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, Josy1953 said:

We have booked Sky Princess around Britain for next year because we are not sure about Mediterranean ports at the moment.  I hope that we get to go but even around Britain is not a sure thing at the moment.  It was originally on Crown Princess but was changed by Princess to Sky Princess after we had booked.

So looking at when you posted this you are talking about a round uk cruise in 2021. I really cannot see the American lines coming over here for the 2021 season (they should come over in april if they were). So many things that will have to happen before cruises can start up again. I think one would have to look at 2022.

1 minute ago, the english lady said:

So looking at when you posted this you are talking about a round uk cruise in 2021. I really cannot see the American lines coming over here for the 2021 season (they should come over in april if they were). So many things that will have to happen before cruises can start up again. I think one would have to look at 2022.

Sky Princess is already in Europe - currently in the Med.   

1 hour ago, the english lady said:

We had an email from Princess cancelling the Sky Princess cruise.  They have cancelled all cruises up to and including departure dates up to 14th May.

Just now, Josy1953 said:

We had an email from Princess cancelling the Sky Princess cruise.  They have cancelled all cruises up to and including departure dates up to 14th May.

Quite a few of us here gave booked the October 22nd Med cruise on Sky, but we are all being realistic as to the chances of it actually going ahead.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 10:04 PM, john watson said:

They do limit you to fifteen drinks per person per day you know so people don't over do it.

Regards John

Thanks John, yes I'm aware of that but dont think I could possibly manage 15 drinks of any kind 👍

On 1/27/2021 at 10:46 PM, john watson said:

Princess might be the same  I was just intending to be cautious with my allowance.

Lol John

The Princess Plus is a good offer not just for drinks, hot, cold, alcoholic etc, but the fact that it includes internet, which is usually very pricey and also the graturities, which all add up. Its a good offer to have available. 

One of the ways Princess excels above P&O is in the buffet. As soon as you sit down a guy comes and asks you if you would like a drink with the meal you have just brought back to the table.  Many people infer this is just a purchase on your cruise card, but no you can ask for a tea from the tea station and the guy goes and gets one made.  My daughter used to be very naughty with this as she would ask for a hot chocolate which they had to go to a remote service area elsewhere on the ship.  They n ever complained.  These floating buffet guys also assist elderly, solo and infirm passengers to their seats if they look a bit vulnerable and also locate tables for you if they are sparse.

Regards John

37 minutes ago, john watson said:

One of the ways Princess excels above P&O is in the buffet. As soon as you sit down a guy comes and asks you if you would like a drink with the meal you have just brought back to the table.  Many people infer this is just a purchase on your cruise card, but no you can ask for a tea from the tea station and the guy goes and gets one made.  My daughter used to be very naughty with this as she would ask for a hot chocolate which they had to go to a remote service area elsewhere on the ship.  They n ever complained.  These floating buffet guys also assist elderly, solo and infirm passengers to their seats if they look a bit vulnerable and also locate tables for you if they are sparse.

Regards John

I agree,  and no hanging around the egg station either for your omlettes.  You get a chit from the cook, and the waiters then bring your omlette to your table when it is ready.

• Like 1