VO Alaska cruise from Seward to Vancouver

moatenote

We're trying to decide which direction is better for this cruise.  The available flights from here in Greenville, SC are not very convenient in either direction, but look a little better if we embark in Seward (Anchorage airport).  If you've cruised from Seward to Vancouver, can you recall what time the ship arrived in Vancouver and when you have to disembark?  I noticed that the ship does not stay in Vancouver over night and was wondering if we'd have to get off ship fairly early in the morning.  Thanks for any info you can share about this cruise.

Vancouver arrival times are dependent on the time of slack water at Seymour Narrows, which is about 100 miles from Vancouver.

However, most of the ships are docking between 06:00 & 08:00. I would imagine that normal Viking disembarkation times will apply.

I always prefer the Southbound, as you get to see a fair bit of the BC Coast in daylight the day before Vancouver.

9 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Vancouver arrival times are dependent on the time of slack water at Seymour Narrows, which is about 100 miles from Vancouver.

However, most of the ships are docking between 06:00 & 08:00. I would imagine that normal Viking disembarkation times will apply.

I always prefer the Southbound, as you get to see a fair bit of the BC Coast in daylight the day before Vancouver.

Only if not transiting Hecate Strait. I Hope Viking will do the “real “ Inside Passage 

55 minutes ago, moatenote said:

We're trying to decide which direction is better for this cruise.  The available flights from here in Greenville, SC are not very convenient in either direction, but look a little better if we embark in Seward (Anchorage airport).  If you've cruised from Seward to Vancouver, can you recall what time the ship arrived in Vancouver and when you have to disembark?  I noticed that the ship does not stay in Vancouver over night and was wondering if we'd have to get off ship fairly early in the morning.  Thanks for any info you can share about this cruise.

We were booked on this cruise last August, Seward to Vancouver.  It didn’t go, of course, but I saved the itinerary, because we intend to book it again.  It shows the ship arriving in Vancouver at 7 am with a note that flights out of Vancouver that day should not be booked before 10.  But things certainly can, and probably will, change.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Only if not transiting Hecate Strait. I Hope Viking will do the “real “ Inside Passage 

I also hope that they avoid Hecate.

When I started on the ferries, we did 2 returns from Vancouver to Prince Rupert every week, then in the summer we did Port Hardy to Prince Rupert - alternating northbound and southbound daily. Sailed at 07:00 with 21:30 arrival, so the entire trip was in daylight.

Some amazing scenery.

• Like 1

Normal Viking policy on disembarkation day was that you must be out of your cabin by 8 am and off the ship by 10am. Still, I have heard reports of pax arranging to stay on board later, but it was the exception not the rule and not necessarily available on all ships or all sailings. 

Of course, Covid may change all of this and we have no idea what disembarkation will be like in the future. ☹️

Right you are Peregrina.  In this case the past is no guide for future expectations.  Blows my mind sometimes.  (Small explosion, Ragnar would say)  There are literally thousands of things out there, as well as in your home,  that can make you sick but the world panics over this one thing.  Does no one care that over 650,000 people die each year of cardiovascular issues in this country?  And a number of this years cardio events are listed as "Covid" according to relatives in the health industry.  But does that shut down the salt or fat industry?   Close all the burger joints? I really don't get it.  But yes, I will get the vax as it will be required to resume travel.  I just hope Viking and their wonderful crews make it through this stuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Did Viking Ocean ever resolve the issue of docking versus using tenders at Vancouver?  I recall that was a matter of concern a while back.

They only tendered on the very first arrival into Vancouver. On all subsequent arrivals they had a berth. 

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I also hope that they avoid Hecate.

When I started on the ferries, we did 2 returns from Vancouver to Prince Rupert every week, then in the summer we did Port Hardy to Prince Rupert - alternating northbound and southbound daily. Sailed at 07:00 with 21:30 arrival, so the entire trip was in daylight.

Some amazing scenery.

What's the deal with Hecate?

We have this cruise booked for August. Seward to Vancouver. Flights from Fl arent that great either...tried to get Viking to let use Alaska Air out of TPA as we have air plus, but they must not partner with them cause their upgrades were way out of line. So we have pre and post extensions now booked cause we know our travel days both ways will just simply be very long days

7 hours ago, duquephart said:

Hecate Strait is basically a sea day.  Considered going "outside" for those working in the region.  Might see a few rocks and the British Columbia mountains far in the distance to the East.  It is faster and easier to get to/from Alaska than using the British Columbia inside passage which is most beautiful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, duquephart said:

The "Inside Passage" runs from Juan de Fuca up to Skagway, a distance of about 1,000 miles.

In BC Waters, to head North from Vancouver, you navigate between Vancouver Island & the Mainland, starting with Georgia Strait, which is about 10 miles wide. At Campbell River you transit Seymour Narrows, entering the narrow channels of the scenic Johnstone Strait. It takes 6 - 8 hours to reach the top of Vancouver Island at Queen Charlotte Strait/Sound.

Alaska bound ships used to head up Fitz Hugh Sound, passing Calvert Island, Lama Passage and Bella Bella. A very scenic route with narrow channels, big turns, villages, canneries, etc. They continued up the Inside Passage, passing Boat Bluff and then Grenville Channel. This route provided scenic cruising for all of day 2, as the ships cleared Grenville Channel at about 18:00

Sadly, with the onset of mega ships and cost cutting, the cruise lines headed offshore at the top end of Vancouver Island, going up Hecate Strait to Dixon Entrance. Saves on pilotage costs, but you don't see any coastline. Hecate Strait is also fairly shallow, so can be rather lumpy.

Northbound, when using Hecate Strait, you will see land briefly, first thing in the morning of day 2, clearing Pine Island about 07:00 to 09:00. From that point you are heading off-shore, so no scenic cruising.

Jim & I hope that Viking use the more scenic Inside Passage routing, rather than shorter and cheaper option of Hecate Strait.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jjg34219 said:

We have this cruise booked for August. Seward to Vancouver. Flights from Fl arent that great either...tried to get Viking to let use Alaska Air out of TPA as we have air plus, but they must not partner with them cause their upgrades were way out of line. So we have pre and post extensions now booked cause we know our travel days both ways will just simply be very long days

When we lived and worked in Florida we did not take Alaska cruises for just the same reasons you state.  From NW Florida we would have to go to ATL, change for a LAX or Denver flight with considerable wait time, then each would fly to Seattle or Vancouver with another change for the flight to Anchorage.  It was considerably easier for us to fly to places in Europe.  Now living in the Phoenix area it is finally a single flight for us.  Still, Alaska is one of our favorite cruise areas and, like the rest of y'all, are looking forward to cruising just about anywhere, even Ensenada......😳🍸

We are looking at flights from TPA connecting in Minneapolis then direct to Anchorage or TPA to DFW then direct again. May have long layovers but will just take the time to stretch and eat good. Just wanna get to Anchorage early evening Alaska time

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The "Inside Passage" runs from Juan de Fuca up to Skagway, a distance of about 1,000 miles.

In BC Waters, to head North from Vancouver, you navigate between Vancouver Island & the Mainland, starting with Georgia Strait, which is about 10 miles wide. At Campbell River you transit Seymour Narrows, entering the narrow channels of the scenic Johnstone Strait. It takes 6 - 8 hours to reach the top of Vancouver Island at Queen Charlotte Strait/Sound.

Alaska bound ships used to head up Fitz Hugh Sound, passing Calvert Island, Lama Passage and Bella Bella. A very scenic route with narrow channels, big turns, villages, canneries, etc. They continued up the Inside Passage, passing Boat Bluff and then Grenville Channel. This route provided scenic cruising for all of day 2, as the ships cleared Grenville Channel at about 18:00

Sadly, with the onset of mega ships and cost cutting, the cruise lines headed offshore at the top end of Vancouver Island, going up Hecate Strait to Dixon Entrance. Saves on pilotage costs, but you don't see any coastline. Hecate Strait is also fairly shallow, so can be rather lumpy.

Northbound, when using Hecate Strait, you will see land briefly, first thing in the morning of day 2, clearing Pine Island about 07:00 to 09:00. From that point you are heading off-shore, so no scenic cruising.

Jim & I hope that Viking use the more scenic Inside Passage routing, rather than shorter and cheaper option of Hecate Strait.

It seem to me that Viking would stick to the inside passage on a cruise named for it.

49 minutes ago, duquephart said:

It seem to me that Viking would stick to the inside passage on a cruise named for it.

Haha, none of the others do.  Remember, in everyone's brochure it is always sunny and all the passengers are beautiful.....😎

• Like 1

The discussion for day 2 on the itinerary page for VIking's Alaska and the Inside Passage indicates we would navigate the Grenville Channel.  Does this indicate Viking uses the more scenic route?  The usual cruise line is missing from the itinerary map.

9 minutes ago, dwlmg said:

The discussion for day 2 on the itinerary page for VIking's Alaska and the Inside Passage indicates we would navigate the Grenville Channel.  Does this indicate Viking uses the more scenic route?  The usual cruise line is missing from the itinerary map.

If they do that it is great news.  Grenville Channel is in the British Columbia inside passage and is very scenic.  Yet another good reason to go with Viking.   But then, if everyone goes with Viking, there won't be any room left for me....😎

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Is there a "standard" route? 

Only 1 option from Vancouver until just before Alert Bay. Then you have 2 options to enter Queen Charlotte Strait. Once clear of Vancouver Island you have numerous options. Which one they use depends on when/where they book the pilots and even in pilotage waters, you have multiple options.

Hecate Strait, which is the shortest route is non-pilotage waters, so is cheapest.

1 hour ago, dwlmg said:

Sounds like Viking does take the "scenic route."

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

By cruising from Seymour Narrows to Queen Charlotte Strait they have used a portion of the Inside Passage and from Dixon Entrance to Skagway they are again in the "Inside Passage"

No cruise line states they use the entire Inside Passage. However, if they specify Grenville Channel in the brochure, they I would expect they use the BC Inside Passage, unless safety reasons dictate otherwise.

Have you looked at flights out of ATL or CLT?  We also live in the upstate and sometimes fly out of CLT or ATL (although I don't like driving through Atlanta to get to the airport).  You might also ask your question on the cruise air section of cruisecritic.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

• Like 1