Alaska 2022 on sale 12/16/20

AtlantaCruiser72

20 minutes ago, georgiacat said:

I am also looking at cruisetours for Alaska 2022.  I am considering Grand vs. Sapphire.  We have not been on either ship.  Can someone tell me which ship you prefer and why?

I like the Sapphire for the smaller dining rooms and it has a small Alfredos

49 minutes ago, georgiacat said:

I am also looking at cruisetours for Alaska 2022.  I am considering Grand vs. Sapphire.  We have not been on either ship.  Can someone tell me which ship you prefer and why?

Sapphire has the skywalkers which during the day is a nice lookout spot to quietly read and see the beautiful scenery from up above and at night if you are into it becomes the dancing spot.  While the skywalkers is pushed back closer to the stacks and not out like the shopping cart handle like the caribbean it still gives nice indoor views of the surrounding area. We are on the sapphire in 2022

17 hours ago, Loki S said:

We’re on the Sapphire Princess. When I did some research prior to being called there were quite a few sailing dates available to book departing from Vancouver. I only had a future cruise deposit for myself, so needed to pay a deposit for hubby, the deposit was at a significantly reduced rate - so happy with that 😀.

With my work I can only go from mid to late July.

Which sailing are you looking at?

Prefer the Sapphire but does not fit into our schedule so it looks like we will be looking at the Majestic.

12 hours ago, leck57 said:

Lovely ship, one of my favourites. I hope you are getting a chance to stay in Vancouver for a few days as it is a nice city with a bit to see. Also a day trip to Victoria is well worth it - a long day but I loved it over there.

Finally just a tip for a fellow Aussie - if you have done whale watching in Hervey Bay, don't do it in Juneau. We did it last year and if you have never seen whales before I'd say do it but as far as getting up close etc, it falls a long way behind Hervey Bay. There are betting excursion options in Juneau which we will do next time.

Alaska was a highlight cruise for us and we will do it again one day.

Thanks for the tips. Yes we have a few days either side of the cruise in Vancouver, seemed a waste to go all that way and not see Vancouver at least. Our thoughts were along the same way regarding whale watching, we have done the whale watching off Hervey Bay as well most times when we’re camping on Fraser Island right in front of our beach campsite are whales 🐳 showing off ... well that’s what we thought, they were putting on a great show for us. We’re probably there at the right time. I’m really hoping to to the dog sled tour.

8 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Looked at the Princess cruises this morning and will be passing for the time being.  Disappointed.  Pricing and cabin selection was not the best.  Also, hefty deposit required and not willing to give Princess any more money until they refund us what they owe us. 

I can really appreciate that. We have most of our money back now, still waiting on some. For example kept $50 pp USD for the tours booked through Princess. Still following this up, as in the past we received full refunds for the tours. Especially this was for an Alaska 2021 cruise that they cancelled. I know overall it’s not a lot compared to other amounts people are waiting for but every cent counts.

Am I wrong to expect the full amount to be refunded?

My TA rebooked us on the Ruby Princess from SF to Alaska for August 2022.  Princess had cancelled our 8/21 cruise because it was 10 days.  The Best Sale Ever promo was applied, plus one free specialty dining for both of us.  Same as last time, but with the added dining. No category upgrade because were in Club Class.  It’s about $400+ more, but when we get our FCC later, that will take off another $200.  And of course, our original deposit will be applied to our fare. 
There is a bit a rainbow at the end of the storm, because we now will get to see Glacier Bay.  And it’s booked just a day before our original cruise in 2021.  Something to look forward to for our 30th anniversary!  And for next September of 2021 we’ll rebook our Grand Canyon Hotel and Railway package!  
Now we need Covid to stay away! 

3 hours ago, lderochi said:

Absolutely not. If it was a Princess excursion and they cancelled the cruise all the prepayments like shore excursions should be refunded. 

Thanks for confirming, thought I must have missed something in the fine print.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:46 PM, Loki S said:

We’re on the Sapphire Princess. When I did some research prior to being called there were quite a few sailing dates available to book departing from Vancouver. I only had a future cruise deposit for myself, so needed to pay a deposit for hubby, the deposit was at a significantly reduced rate - so happy with that 😀.

With my work I can only go from mid to late July.

Which sailing are you looking at?

I did manage to secure a balcony mid-June booking yesterday on the Majestic.  Sapphire was our first choice but had to go with Majestic due to scheduling conflicts.  The main thing is that we will finally be able to get back to Alaska and that is all that matters to us. 

12 hours ago, Italy52 said:

I did manage to secure a balcony mid-June booking yesterday on the Majestic.  Sapphire was our first choice but had to go with Majestic due to scheduling conflicts.  The main thing is that we will finally be able to get back to Alaska and that is all that matters to us. 

That’s great news. I’m happy that you’ve managed to get a booking that works for you. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cali Viajera said:

We are booked on the Majestic at the end of June in Club mini suite. Very excited for first Princess cruise!

Had a Club Class Mini Suite on the Majestic when I did a cruise to New Zealand, was very enjoyable.

11 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I wouldn’t count on it happening in 2022.  If Princess were planning to sail to Alaska from LA they would have released it with the rest of the Alaska schedule, as they have in years past. 

That is not so we had to wait for them to announce a ship to Alaska when they sold the Sun. I'm hoping they will throw a few Alaska cruises in between costal and Mexico. That is what they were going to do on our 2021 cruise. ALWAYS CAN HOPE

59 minutes ago, Photofinish4 said:

That is not so we had to wait for them to announce a ship to Alaska when they sold the Sun. I'm hoping they will throw a few Alaska cruises in between costal and Mexico. That is what they were going to do on our 2021 cruise. ALWAYS CAN HOPE

However the Sun’s original Alaska sailings for 2020 and the Golden’s for 2019 were both part of the original Alaska deployment release for those years.  The Crown in 2020 was COVID related redeployment and originally Princess only planned on her doing 4/5/7 day Mexico and California Coastal sailings.

With only Pacific and Royal unaccounted for in summer 2022 and Royal rumored to summer in Taiwan that leaves only Pacific to potentially sail from LA. Princess has been very tight lipped about her future. If she stays in the fleet she could just as easily be deployed to Venice for a Mediterranean season as she could to LA for an Alaskan season. I don’t hold out much hope of either happening.