The Daily for Tuesday Dec 8, 2020

richwmn

Well, my glimmer of hope has dropped to a mere thread.  New cases and positivity are both still down from the last couple of week days but deaths and hospitalization were both up.  Another update from the Governor this afternoon but it is supposed to be about plans for the vaccine.

Roy

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

So is it permissible to eat brownies while putting up a Christmas tree? 😎

Our tradition is baking Christmas cookies for the "elves" putting up the tree. They refuse to work without the cookies.......usually being made by the grandchildren!

• Like 6

Thank you Rich and Roy and all the wonderful posters with pictures and thoughts.  I so love reading this each morning or afternoon.  I've just been lurking for several months and found this set of threads to be worth signing back on to cc boards.

We continue with much foggy weather here in the Oregon Willamette Valley.  Enjoying looking up the wine selections.

Thank you for such a nice place to visit each day!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Today is our darling grandson's 1st birthday - we so wish we could be together, but his darn Covid is preventing us from doing that.  We'll be doing a Skype call this evening to say hello and watch him enjoy some ice cream cake.  🎂

Happy first birthday Parker!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, baltic17 said:

Thank you Rich and Roy and all the wonderful posters with pictures and thoughts.  I so love reading this each morning or afternoon.  I've just been lurking for several months and found this set of threads to be worth signing back on to cc boards.

We continue with much foggy weather here in the Oregon Willamette Valley.  Enjoying looking up the wine selections.

Thank you for such a nice place to visit each day!

Welcome!

• Like 3

Good morning, all! Brownies and Christmas trees - what a wonderful combination of days! There are no brownies in the house, so I’ll have to admire the tree while eating chocolate. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.😉

I’m a little down today. Our province has extended the health order not to socialize outside your immediate household to January 8. So DH and I will be on our own for Christmas and New Years. Worse, my nephew and his son in Illinois have just tested positive for Covid. His wife’s test results aren’t in yet. They had a cousin and an elderly aunt over for Thanksgiving dinner. The aunt is in frail health, and wore a mask at all times except when actually eating. No one else wore one. She has tested negative. The cousin is positive. My nephew has a cough and what feels like a bad cold. My great nephew is asymptotic. We are all holding our breath, and my sister is frantic. DH is on the mainland for medical tests (routine, no issues there), so I’ve been on my own as the news comes in.

On a brighter note, there is still the Christmas tree and the chocolate. Happy Tuesday, from the elevators on the Amsterdam.

4AB08F25-AD02-4260-8E52-C7A6ED6EAD8F.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  I can easily celebrate brownie day and Christmas tree day.  The quote is appropriate especially for 2020.

Would love to bake some brownies today, but we have way too many Christmas cookies and candy.  Even after mailing three boxes of cookies yesterday, and getting the cookies for neighbors ready, we still have a lot of cookies. 

Thinking about making brownies for New Year's Day to enjoy while taking the tree down.  I will try to remember to have some brownies on had for next fall when we put the tree up.  We usually put our tree up a day or two after Thanksgiving.

The picture of the tree that fainted reminded me our first artificial tree.  The center post consisted of two wooden poles.  One day my oldest DD and I were sitting in the den, when the top half of the tree slowly fell over until it was laying on the floor.  All we could do was sit and watch.  At least no ornaments were broken.😁

If anyone in the US is planning on mailing packages, I recommend setting up an account on USPS and using clip and ship.  It is easy to do, and then you do not have to stand in line at the Post Office.  If you do not have a large blank label, you can just print the label on a piece of paper and tape it securely to the package.  Just make sure the label is completely covered with tape to keep it from tearing.  At the PO all you have to do is drop it off the day you said you would be mailing the package.  I did this with three packages yesterday and was really pleased at how easy it was.

Horizon Chaser, sorry to hear about your nephew and his son.  Hope his wife's test is negative.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all and thanks to Rich for the daily.  The quote is spot on and I will definitely celebrate Christmas tree day as I still have to finish decorating the 2nd one.  I could go for the drink - kind of like a Sangria.  We are having rotisserie chicken from Costco for dinner.  Went to that big box store early and left a pile of $$$.  My best to all who are on the care list and a shout out to those celebrating.  Thanks to Roy for keeping that list and sharing his sunrises.  Have a great day everyone.

• Like 9

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Gorgeous cookies, I will enjoy looking at them all day, calorie free!😄

And shoot, I forgot to get a bag of two-bite brownies while I was at the grocery store - had to get up  too early, and my brain wasn't working.  

As I mentioned yesterday, we are locked down again for a month, so no festivities for either Christmas or New Year.  I bought a small turkey today and managed to wangle enough space in the freezer for it.  I do have to find out if I can get a haircut, then I can hunker down and shut out the world.  Numbers are down in Vancouver, but they are up in the North, and there is an outbreak at a mink farm, which is scary.  I didn't even know we had mink farms in BC.  

This is all I could find in chocolate:

22FD50CB-53C7-4521-8657-AF3C3E962FB5.thumb.jpeg.01065e58c9a6bba3873e5a9b48e64073.jpeg.e1b3b736c5b42e4825c23d36d7466f38.jpeg

• Like 16

Good morning all!  I have brownies in the freezer right now (I bring the grandsons goodies each week and usually make enough to freeze half for a later visit).  These have crushed candy canes in the frosting. Tomorrow's visit will be cupcakes for DH's birthday on Thursday.  🙂   Christmas tree is all decorated as of a couple days ago, that's a 2-day job for me.  Working now on Christmas cards and online ordering gifts. I feel like I'm a little bit ahead of the game this year, probably because we can't do much else!  😄

Love the quote, so true.  Dinner tonight will be steak stir-fry.  Last night's Costco steak was too much for one night 😉  The Christmosas sound great as does the *white* wine today.  

@rafinmdI noticed that this morning is the 40th anniversary of John Lennon's death, thank you for including him on your lists.  I remember the shock of that death, and it's so hard to believe it's been 40 years!! I saw the Beatles perform when I was 14, what a thrill!!

@Quartzsite Cruiser your cookies are fabulous!  What detail and vivid colors, I love it!

Prayers for @Dismomx5's sister and her family, and @Horizon chaser 1957's nephew and son and family.  

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Worse, my nephew and his son in Illinois have just tested positive for Covid. His wife’s test results aren’t in yet. They had a cousin and an elderly aunt over for Thanksgiving dinner.

I am so sorry to hear this.  Praying that all goes well 🙏🏻 

• Like 4

Good morning everyone. I am gaining weight just reading about your cookies, brownies and other cooking feats (or feasts). This may inspire me to do a little more decorating at least. My condo does look pretty bleak.

My best wishes to all dealing with this nasty virus in any way..... we are still being told to stay at home except when absolutely necessary. Our numbers are going up pretty fast. Hopefully things will level off and then drop.

Stay safe everyone.

Susan

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Finally, here is the picture of the Christmas cookies --one of each design I made.  I wanted to share them with everyone on the Daily.  The good news is that the Internet removes the calories and the carbs, so they can be enjoyed without worry.  😄 

1163677230_SantaCookies.JPG.5d127fc36852ea772322c31a0ba007cb.JPG

They look fabulous!

• Like 4

Roy had asked yesterday of the ship Vestal was associated with the city of the same name.  I looked it up but found nothing definite, or even if it was named after the Roman Vestal Virgins.  Repair ships are named after Greek Gods, such as Hector, Ajax, and Vulcan.  I would recommend anyone look up her WW2 war record, as it is amazing.  Also, Roy I appreciate your lists and not sure if I should mention a couple of typos.  Dementia and John Lennon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks Rich, Roy et al! @summer slopethat sangria sounds lovely,  and would be very pretty.   And I love Brownies, so far no tree, the weather Has been too nice so we are spending as much time outdoors.  May just put up the village and the crèche.  One more stocking to go, lol!,

@VictOriann sad about the lockdown extension but I have a lot of respect for Dr Bonnie Henry.  Stay safe.   We may have more restrictions today,  we are the worst in the country and doing the least.   Scary about those mink,  I know Denmark did a complete cull of millions as they had Covid they thought was mutating.  This is hitting close to home. One cousin in California is recovering and I just found out one of my other American cousins has tested positive,  hoping my elderly aunt stays okay as they were together Thanksgiving.  

On  a happier note I may make this for our Christmas celebration. 

image.png

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Love the beach said:

Our tradition is baking Christmas cookies for the "elves" putting up the tree. They refuse to work without the cookies.......usually being made by the grandchildren!

And a fine tradition I might add.

• Like 4

Good Morning!  Thank you all who help make this a positive place to stop and read.  With all the news just feeling down.  Will leave a brownie mix on the counter Grandpa can make some with Grandson while I am gone this afternoon!  Going to go visit Dad and give his wife a chance to get to an appointment, then will swing by the pharmacy and pick up meds for Mom.  Will grab a few fresh vegies while at the pharmacy and then back to hunker down.  Trying to limit my time out and about, so will shop for us and the folks.  Governor is shutting more down as I type.

Take care everyone.  Enjoy the brownies while you decorate the trees!

Denise

• Like 10