Summer 2021 cruises.

hollyjess

20 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I’m sorry to say that the possible stops in Wales aren’t very appealing places (Holyhead and Milford Haven). 

The only good point of a stop in Holyhead is easy access to Snowdonia and other parts of North Wales.

7 hours ago, zap99 said:

Last time we were in Honfleur there was a ,I think, Azamara ship in. A bit small for the big ships though. Guernsey is nice, but they can't get in sometimes.

That's the beauty of Azamara, they dock places that others can't access.

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, I was kidding, although I have noticed that a lot of supposedly British Isles cruises call at several places that are not in the British Isles, which I personally think is a shame. I quite fancy a British Isles cruise but would ideally like it to include places like Liverpool, Newcastle, Belfast, Edinburgh, Orkneys, Shetland, Western Isles, Falmouth although I appreciate that some of those are tender ports or not possible for the biggest ships. I’ve been to Dublin and felt it was overrated. I much preferred Belfast. Haven’t been to Cobh so if it had to include one place that’s not in the British Isles then I could tolerate that one! Anywhere like Guernsey or Le Havre wouldn’t appeal either. 

I understand your point about it not being an entirely British Isles cruise. When we went it was then called a  " Round Britain " cruise which I suppose it was as we cruised  right round the British Isles but called at some non British ports...Guernsey.....Cobh....Dublin....Belfast....Liverpool...Grenock( for Glasgow).....Invergordon....Edinburgh....Le Havre. 

We thoroughly enjoyed it....enjoyed " mooching" in the Temple bar area of Dublin....free excursions provided by the Tourist Board at Greenock....seeing the 3 Graces of Liverpool and being on the same level as them while on top deck....and Le Havre for personal reasons but also for 3 Euros you could use the buses/trams all day....on the tram ended up at a small beach area which was a lovely spot to just chill....it is definitely a cruise I would do again

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, I was kidding, although I have noticed that a lot of supposedly British Isles cruises call at several places that are not in the British Isles, which I personally think is a shame. I quite fancy a British Isles cruise but would ideally like it to include places like Liverpool, Newcastle, Belfast, Edinburgh, Orkneys, Shetland, Western Isles, Falmouth although I appreciate that some of those are tender ports or not possible for the biggest ships. I’ve been to Dublin and felt it was overrated. I much preferred Belfast. Haven’t been to Cobh so if it had to include one place that’s not in the British Isles then I could tolerate that one! Anywhere like Guernsey or Le Havre wouldn’t appeal either. 

You would have liked the cruise I did in June/July 2016 aboard Queen Elizabeth then -

Southampton, Edinburgh, Invergordon, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Greenock, Belfast, Liverpool, St Peter Port, Southampton.

Thoroughly enjoyable it was too.

20 minutes ago, Britboys said:

You would have liked the cruise I did in June/July 2016 aboard Queen Elizabeth then -

Southampton, Edinburgh, Invergordon, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Greenock, Belfast, Liverpool, St Peter Port, Southampton.

Thoroughly enjoyable it was too.

Yes, that sounds fab, other than Guernsey but that’s primarily because it’s a tender port and we’ve been many times before. Whilst I understand the reasons why cruises include places like Dublin and Le Havre, I would much prefer to have a ‘proper’ British Isles only cruise. 

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, they told me that when I was there Wowzz, so I tried one - and still thought it was vile 😂 

I worked in Dublin for a couple of weeks. The hotel invited me to a corporate event but when I got there I didn't like the look of it so sat at the bar instead. The bar man asked me why I wasn't going in then concurred that it wouldn't be his scene either and he offered me a complimentary pint of Guinness which I accepted. It wasn't to my taste at all and the bar man was so disappointed that he poured me another one free of charge "to be sure." 😁

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, that sounds fab, other than Guernsey but that’s primarily because it’s a tender port and we’ve been many times before. Whilst I understand the reasons why cruises include places like Dublin and Le Havre, I would much prefer to have a ‘proper’ British Isles only cruise. 

Just be careful with Edinburgh though as we tendered in to Newhaven rather than docking anywhere.

38 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Just be careful with Edinburgh though as we tendered in to Newhaven rather than docking anywhere.

Yes I think Edinburgh is all tender. We did a fantastic 3 week touring holiday of Scotland by car last year and spent a few nights in a hotel on the waterfront in Leith and a Fred Olsen cruise ship was anchored off shore and tendering people in. We actually preferred Glasgow to Edinburgh, so might look out for one that goes there instead (assuming that’s not tender as well). 

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes I think Edinburgh is all tender. We did a fantastic 3 week touring holiday of Scotland by car last year and spent a few nights in a hotel on the waterfront in Leith and a Fred Olsen cruise ship was anchored off shore and tendering people in. We actually preferred Glasgow to Edinburgh, so might look out for one that goes there instead (assuming that’s not tender as well). 

Cruise ships usually dock at Greenock for Glasgow.There are trains into Glasgow but we took one of the free excursions organised by (I think) The 'friends of Greenock' or the tourist board? to the surrounding area which was lovely.When we tendered into Newhaven we walked to a ferry point and went on a boat tour to a small island where there were seals.There are also usually local guides to meet you from the tender with lots of information.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Cruise ships usually dock at Greenock for Glasgow.There are trains into Glasgow but we took one of the free excursions organised by (I think) The 'friends of Greenock' or the tourist board? to the surrounding area which was lovely.When we tendered into Newhaven we walked to a ferry point and went on a boat tour to a small island where there were seals.There are also usually local guides to meet you from the tender with lots of information.

Inverclyde Tourist Group we have been on all their free excursions and had some great local info from the people at the port which has won "best cruise port " awards in the past.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

I believe that it was planned to develop the King George V dock in Glasgow has a cruise port but the size of ships would be limited.

All 3 Azamara ships are currently laid up there until cruising restarts.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 8:01 AM, Selbourne said:

Yes, they told me that when I was there Wowzz, so I tried one - and still thought it was vile 😂 

On Occasions on Royal Caribbean our wine waiters have got me the 7.5% Guinness from the crew bar and it was much better than the regular Guinness.

Graham.

33 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

On Occasions on Royal Caribbean our wine waiters have got me the 7.5% Guinness from the crew bar and it was much better than the regular Guinness.

Graham.

Was that bottled or draught ? Love a draught Guinness, never knew they did a strong strength version.

• Like 1