Bye Bye Majesty and Empress (It's official)

On 2/9/2021 at 5:23 PM, twangster said:

Would think the AIS transmitter isn't tied to a company.  A while ago they removed the "of the Seas" and set it to broadcast simply "Majesty".  

Maybe they powered off the bridge and/or the entire ship to do maintenance or other work.  

Your idea makes sense.  The transponder has now been off for five days and it was docked in Greece when it went off.  Unless they tow it to the breaking yard, the transponder would have to be on to sail.

1 hour ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Your idea makes sense.  The transponder has now been off for five days and it was docked in Greece when it went off.  Unless they tow it to the breaking yard, the transponder would have to be on to sail.

One rumor has it going to a Greek company who is said to be converting it into a ferry.  If that is true it could be they de-energized the ship or parts of it for the conversion.  

Pullmantur Horizon saw her AIS go off in a port away from a breaking yard so who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

(1) The Majesty transponder has now been turned off for over a month.  Would love to know if she is still docked in Greece and what the ship is doing.

(2) Empress has been at the same dock in Oman for over three weeks now.  Must be having work done before sailing for India.

One year ago today my B2B on the Majesty was cut short and I flew home after just one cruise.  As I got off of the Majesty on March 14, 2020, I never imagined that I had just sailed on Majesty’s last cruise with Royal.  In fact, I hoped to be back to New Orleans in a couple of months to sail on Majesty again.  Now Majesty is gone and it does not look like there will be any Royal cruises out of New Orleans any time soon.  A double whammy!

• Like 1

So sad to see all of the old ships being killed off. Obviously it was going to happen someday, but I had really hoped to get another cruise or two in on a Sovereign Class or Empress before then. Soon all we'll have left are the mega-ships, and that will be just awful. At least the Radiance Class and a few of the Vision Class ships will (hopefully!) be around for a while longer. 

1 hour ago, DarthGrady said:

So sad to see all of the old ships being killed off. Obviously it was going to happen someday, but I had really hoped to get another cruise or two in on a Sovereign Class or Empress before then. Soon all we'll have left are the mega-ships, and that will be just awful. At least the Radiance Class and a few of the Vision Class ships will (hopefully!) be around for a while longer. 

Kind of saw it coming but not this soon.  I purposely took a bunch of cruises on Majesty and Empress.  When Cuba cancelled they were bargains and I knew at some point these old ships would depart.  So I did a bunch of B2B and S2S.  July and August tend to be expensive but they weren't on these two thanks to Cuba cruises being banned.

It won't be too long before some other ships will join them.  Vision class up next.  Grandeur already had one foot out the door.  Sail them while you can.  Radiance and Voyager class are the same vintage so they have a little more time on the clock.

Sad to see. Was booked last August in that large oceanview room on deck 9 with the double windows. Ship had the best dining room and best staff and food. It also provided great itineraries. How they got rid of it is beyond me. Soulless.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Kind of saw it coming but not this soon.  I purposely took a bunch of cruises on Majesty and Empress.  When Cuba cancelled they were bargains and I knew at some point these old ships would depart.  So I did a bunch of B2B and S2S.  July and August tend to be expensive but they weren't on these two thanks to Cuba cruises being banned.

It won't be too long before some other ships will join them.  Vision class up next.  Grandeur already had one foot out the door.  Sail them while you can.  Radiance and Voyager class are the same vintage so they have a little more time on the clock.

Based on your review of Empress cruise, we booked  Jan 31, 2021 cruise and were planning on another.  Sadly it was cancelled and we are rebooked on Rhapsody, w/o Key West.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

In case anyone is interested, Majesty now has a Greek owner and is currently in Greece.

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/cruiseship-sold-by-royal-caribbean-emerges-in-fleet-of-greeces-marios-iliopoulos/2-1-985218

Interesting it said Majesty has attracted alot of interest for potential buyers.