The cull has begun

cockneyjock

1 minute ago, cockneyjock said:

I'm sure most of you will have received the email about passengers requiring dialysis and oxygen equipment being removed from the passenger list.

Who's next?

Alan.

Already discussed on various other threads. Seems entirely sensible to me.

56 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Do you think passengers using mobility scooters wheelchairs etc will be allowed to board especially if elderly.

Can't see a problem if they are otherwise healthy.  Excursions will  be a problem though - could be confined to the ship all cruise.

It will be sad for many. I will never forget seeing a very elderly couple with their frames returning from a shore excursion in Kotor together. I thought it was lovely and remember thinking that I hoped that us Prestos could be like that at their age. You had to be there to see how special it was.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

It will be sad for many. I will never forget seeing a very elderly couple with their frames returning from a shore excursion in Kotor together. I thought it was lovely and remember thinking that I hoped that us Prestos could be like that at their age. You had to be there to see how special it was. To stop people travelling because of age will be sad, but I can see how those with medical conditions could cause major issues and (though sad) are best to stay at home just incase.

Edited by Presto2
No idea why this has happened
  • Like 1

Best thing I ever saw - Barbados, Saga ship with shuttle bus running to/from ship and terminal.

Elderly couple, one with mobility scooter, one with folding wheelchair.

Initial plan, wheelchair user on shuttle, meet mobility user in terminal.

Shuttle full.

No matter.. wheelchair user hooked walking stick over mobility scooter seat back, shouted Tally Ho - and off they both went in rapid convoy.

A round of applause from those left in the shuttle queue.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I read on another site that  because of covid, ships are required to have more oxygen cylinders onboard than usual There won't therefore be room for storage for people who usually bring oxygen onboard so the reason for the policy shouldn't affect passengers with other illnesses or disabilities

6 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I am pretty sure you wanted to edit your post

and touched quote at bottom of post.  Edit is now accessed by touching the three dots top rhs and choosing edit from drop dow menu. 

You can also touch those three dots on any unwanted post and choose report, then use the box which opens to ask for that post of yours to be deleted. Admin will delete a post of your own if asked, but no one else can ask for the post to be deleted, though obviously can report a problem post.

The new system is very annoying - I have made that mistake a few times.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ann141 said:

I read on another site that  because of covid, ships are required to have more oxygen cylinders onboard than usual There won't therefore be room for storage for people who usually bring oxygen onboard so the reason for the policy shouldn't affect passengers with other illnesses or disabilities

Makes perfect sense, I hadn't thought of that.

12 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Best thing I ever saw - Barbados, Saga ship with shuttle bus running to/from ship and terminal.

Elderly couple, one with mobility scooter, one with folding wheelchair.

Initial plan, wheelchair user on shuttle, meet mobility user in terminal.

Shuttle full.

No matter.. wheelchair user hooked walking stick over mobility scooter seat back, shouted Tally Ho - and off they both went in rapid convoy.

A round of applause from those left in the shuttle queue.

That is brilliant 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/18/2020 at 6:15 PM, Presto2 said:

It will be sad for many. I will never forget seeing a very elderly couple with their frames returning from a shore excursion in Kotor together. I thought it was lovely and remember thinking that I hoped that us Prestos could be like that at their age. You had to be there to see how special it was.

It is very sad, because cruising has been such a joy for so many using oxygen but still wanting to travel.

Maybe it's the oxygen storage,  maybe it's just worry by cruise companies at the greater risk of illness or death onboard,  but very sad nonetheless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, batholiver said:

It is very sad, because cruising has been such a joy for so many using oxygen but still wanting to travel.

Maybe it's the oxygen storage,  maybe it's just worry by cruise companies at the greater risk of illness or death onboard,  but very sad nonetheless. 

To be fair, in the current environnent, if you were that dependent on external oxygen supplies,  you would be unwise to cruise.

Plus, I can't see any insurance company being prepared to insure you.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, in the current environnent, if you were that dependent on external oxygen supplies,  you would be unwise to cruise.

Plus, I can't see any insurance company being prepared to insure you.

I’m afraid I agree.

I believe there are a number of issues at hand.

1. Oxygen canisters have special handling/storage requirements. If, as a cruise ship, you have to carry more to service your onboard hospital then your capacity for passenger required supplies to be carried drops.

2. There is a limit to the amount of risk that the medical professionals on board wish to be exposed to. If the view is coronavirus could cause additional work then removing a number of potentially complex cases from the voyage reduces the risk of the medical professionals being overloaded.

3. The decision taken removes those most susceptible to catching the virus. It is also these people who the ship would struggle the most to achieve a good outcome if they did catch it.

4. Before a ship docs, the manifest is given to the local authorities so they know who are onboard. This includes details of any serious medical conditions that could conceivably need attention. You’ll remember that ships are required to have a plan to land Covid positive passengers at each port as part of restart plans. It may be that local authorities have advised that they would be unable to handle Covid passengers and someone with special medical needs,

Whilst P&O reserve the right to decline any booking/passenger, one things this is not, is a cull of anyone with the most complex medical conditions as the easy option. That would be discriminatory and against the law. If anyone has any concerns in this regard they should ask the special assistance for the reason in relation to their specific cruise.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1