The Daily for Thursday Dec 24, 2020

richwmn

today is Christmas Eve, National Egg Nog Day, and National Regifting Day

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Meal suggestion for today - Steak and Mushroom Stroganoff

Drink of the Day - Jingle Juice

Wine of the day - Domaine Gerovassiliou Malagousia Epanomi Single Vineyard vintage 2016

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Southampton eta 1/6
Oosterdam destination Southampton eta 1/5

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off Los Angeles
Westerdam destination San Diego eta 12/28

Panama Canal
Noordam destination Los Angeles eta 12/30

Panama Limon Bay Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Torquay Anchorage
Volendam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Nieuw Statendam

1224World.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Merry Christmas Eve to all.  After a rainy start here we are due for a bit of a cold snap.  No snow but it will at least feel like Christmas.  We are doing a remote visit with DD tomorrow in lieu of her visit.  Seemed like the best thing to do.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Christmas Eve Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the eggnog and don;t really engage in regifting.  Love the quote and we're not too far apart on the meal.  On December 6, 2013 I dined in Prinsendam's new Canaletto.  My waiters had been kind enough to give me the menu on December 5, so if I had not been in Canaletto I would have chosen Chilled Strawberry Bisque, Beef Stroganoff and Cherry Crisp.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Sharon’s mon living in a Covid hot spot

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

lazey1's church

CrabbyPatti’s dad with dementia

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including Red Haired Lady

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Happy Birthday, Dr, Faucci (80)

Vets (both kinds)

ger77's neighbors dropping by with wine

dfish visiting her sister

Nieuw Statendam headed for Port Everglades

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

PS:Kazu, will you be able to chew tomorrow?

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I have set up our Meet and Greet for Saturday.  I am not including a link because I have a feeling the ID and Passcode may be more secure.  I will be using a “Waiting Room”, so please set your name in Zoom to your Cruise Critic “handle” so I will recognize you.  I will be watching the Daily so post there if you have any issues or questions.

rafinmd  is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Cruise Critic Daily Meet & Greet
Time: Dec 26, 2020 01:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Meeting ID: 873 0735 9251
Passcode: 03212020
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,87307359251#,,,,*03212020# US (Washington D.C)
+16465588656,,87307359251#,,,,*03212020# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 873 0735 9251
Passcode: 03212020
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kCrsys65n

Roy

• Like 14

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Christmas Eve. 

No re-gifting from me, I'll pass on the eggnog.

Love stroganoff, but we had it last week, I'll have to think of something else.

Great quote.

Looking forward to reading about Jingle Juice  and the wine.

Praying for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

Happy Christmas Eve.  Cold here so it does feel like Christmas.  Love Egg Nog, one of our favorite holiday drinks.  Have never regifted. Will pass on the menu.  Hugs, prayers, and congratulations to all of us.  We've made it to Christmas.  What a horrid year we have had.  Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  The finish line is in long distance sight.

Jingle Juice:

Yield: Makes 1 1/2 qt.
Ingredients
Ingredient Checklist
5 cups orange juice
1 cup vodka
⅓ cup orange liqueur
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
½ cup maraschino cherry juice
Garnishes: fruit-flavored candy cane sticks, cherries with stems, orange and lemon slices
Directions
Instructions Checklist
Step 1 Stir together orange juice and next 4 ingredients; serve over ice. Garnish, if desired.

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 7.26.38 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet Reprt Rich.  It is a cold day here.  Temp is in the teens.  Sorry to see the Eurodam heading East.  Another HAL ship going through the Canal. I liked your meal suggestion.  The next two Days will be quite busy!  I wish Christmas Blessings to all.  Merry Christmas. 

• Like 9

Merry Christmas Eve Day everyone!

Thank you for yet another wonderful edition of the Daily, Rich. Today’s combo of days has a definite theme.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists so diligently. Dailyites & my Sisters - we have a white wine today.  Had a driveway/cul de sac neighborhood get together last evening, and it was warm enough to wear shorts. Today we are expect Tstorms that will cool us down significantly. So tomorrow will feel like Christmas. Some Zoom chats today & tomorrow. And lots of treats.
Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to you all!

Stay well everyone!

This Greek white wine has excellent ratings and a decent price - $29.99. I need to add this to my list, since I do not believe I have ever tried a Greek wine.

#49 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

This wine is entirely produced from the Greek grape variety of Malagousia, which was saved from extinction due to the efforts of Vangelis Gerovassiliou. It has a brilliant straw color with greenish shades and an aroma of matured fruit such as pear, mango and citrus. On the palate the rich flavors of lemon peel enhance the appealing mouthfeel, adding a well-balanced finish.

WS91 Wine Spectator: A lovely nose of floral and citrus notes leads to expressive flavors of ruby red grapefruit granita and ripe yellow peach in this well-cut, light- to medium-bodied white. Lithe and lingering on the minerally finish. Drink now through 2023.
  • Like 16

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Christmas Eve morn smile 🙂 

A joyous Christmas Eve to everyone.  I’d happily celebrate with Egg Nog.  Seems like a strange day for regifting.  Shouldn’t it be after Christmas?  No worries as we don’t do it.

LOL on the quote.  Now that’s having an attitude 🙂 

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion.  Tonight’s will be DH’s choice.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard of jingle juice.  Thanks @summer slopefor the description.  It actually sounds not too hard to make and pretty good.

@KirkNC & @cat shepardyou are definitely doing the right thing using zoom.  I know it’s not the same but bless everyone who does it.:

64EED3F4-0BFF-47C8-B800-8800E1771CD3.thumb.jpeg.3834f66f14051d0d36865a718c59ed73.jpeg

Someone must have snuck in to take a pic of our dining room set up 😉 

And yes, even though it’s just the 2 of us, we are having turkey and @rafinmd as long as I can cut it into teeny tiny pieces and cut the food with a fork, I will eat solid food for the 1st time in two weeks. 😄 

B661F9D5-D4FE-41D7-9974-0BC882931CFC.thumb.jpeg.98045f675325d565566a19ae5b3767ee.jpeg

Santa must be tearing his hair out about now with just a few hours to go to get all those presents delivered:

355908F5-E062-480C-A338-A18EFA839B6F.jpeg.7dc729cc86ec7554b9a67ca708f3667d.jpeg

Anyone else having a hard time deciding what to wear on Christmas Day?

7D657158-BCB3-4E39-8E95-9AA7F3E3EDA9.jpeg.cc34559befdbb19e13d057ad851bcb6b.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and big clink of the glasses to all of those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a wonderful Christmas Eve day everyone 🙂 Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷      

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Merry Christmas Eve to everyone!  A great day ahead, with a flurry of activity, even if there are only 2 of us to prepare for.  First on the list is getting eggnog - how could we have forgotten that?

A special shout-out to Dr. Fauci - the voice of reason - Happy 80th Birthday; may you have many more healthy years ahead!

Great meal suggestion, but a little too much when we know we'll be feasting tomorrow.  Tonight we've decided to have appetizers, so we'll be making a charcuterie board with meats, cheeses, crackers, shrimp, and a couple of hot appies like spinach/asiago dip and spring rolls.  And wine.   The turkey is thawing as we speak, to be ready to pop into the oven tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.97155c27eb3422ddd708d3d1b1db9745.png

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wine glasses (maybe several times) for all on the happy list, and especially for everyone who contributes to these daily threads.  Thank you @richwmnfor bringing us all together; this site has been a real lifeline for a lot of us during dark times.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 21

Happy Christmas Eve to all our Daily-ites, sisters, brothers and friends.

Thank you Rich for bringing a year of happiness to my mornings. I wonder if you realize how important your posts have been since Covid hit. You have been a bright spot to so many of us. How is your cat this morning? Hope he gets a forever name for Christmas. 

Thank you Roy for your contributions. The prayers and cheers lists have been so appreciated and certainly makes those of us who have been on your lists feel like someone cares. Prayers to you and your brother for healing. Thanks to others who have posted and contributed.

So, tonight we will be opening gifts with my sister and nieces in San Diego via zoom. Sophie has been busy playing with all the gift bags. Knocked over the tree one too many times (it is a small tree) so it's sitting on the kitchen island. We are getting excited for the Christ child to be born. 

Sending blessings out to all. Take care, be vigilante and I pray the vaccines get to you soon.

• Like 20

Merry Christmas Eve everyone, except those Down Under where it must be Christmas Day by now.  It's raining here and then turning cold so Christmas Day will be sunny and freezing, but we're not going anywhere so who cares?

@kazu (Jacqui) I love all your little cartoons this morning.  A great group of funnies!

I got an interesting sunrise photo from my DIL in Clearwater Beach this morning.  She claims the vertical line you see in the middle of the photo was actually there for real and not just in this photo.  A Christmas miracle?  🤔

enhance

• Like 18

Photos from this date in 2016 while heading to Antarctica on Seabourn Quest.  We were sailing towards Punta Arenas, Chile and viewing glaciers on Christmas Eve.  

enhance

enhance

enhance

In the afternoon the winds were pretty high but that didn't stop people from stepping outside the Observation Bar to take photos.  

enhance

Taking photos of things like this wreck along the way.

enhance

And these gifts left on our suites' dining table.  In addition there was a laser cut paperweight in a box which was left on the bed with a lovely note.  

enhance

An excellent Christmas Eve!

• Like 21

Good morning all.  Thanks Rich for the daily.  No eggnog but I am kind of re-gifting - a wrapped  gift for someone who never got it, I unwrapped it and then wrapped it back up in nicer paper.  We are having a charcuterie board for dinner along with a bottle of wine. Looking forward to a nice quiet day and evening, all gifts delivered, nothing left under the tree.  On Wednesday I woke up with Vertigo and was unable to do anything, luckily yesterday was much better.  DH had a monumental birthday, lots of e's and phone calls and a surprise delivery of balloons by DD.  Our visit was outdoors as we are in lockdown.   Take care everyone, have a great day before Christmas.

• Like 16

Happy Christmas eve....Add us to the list of those who will be connecting virtually tomorrow.  We are finalizing our own small celebration for tomorrow.

My idea of regifting day = that last-minute moment when you realize you haven't got a gift for someone and all the stores have closed...

I do love some eggnog, just be careful not to overindulge!

image.png.c21e5bea28c73c982d60f53da2ec5fa6.png

• Like 20

December 24 is the last day I do not have a sunrise photo.  I am posting the last sunrise from last year (and the conclusion of my latest successful string of cruises).  On December 1, 2019 I disembarked the Crystal Symphony in Miami:

dawn1201.jpg

Roy

• Like 17