Pre-Cruise LAND package

docmark

We are booked on Explorer Nov 2-Dec.2  2021 Tokyo to Singapore. Would like to know any suggestions for the included pre-cruise "LAND" PACKAGE, is it worth it, or is it better to take the credit and plan it on our own?

Also any recommendation for Tokyo hotels would be greatly appreciated

Just an option, it all depends on you.  If you like things pre-planned and done for you-Regent is good.  However if you enjoy doing it at your own pace, seeing what you want (with enough time to do what you want) you'll do much better on your own.  We like doing it on are own, but that's us.  

I appreciate your comments Ronrick, and we also do mostly arrival and departure ports on our own..  However I would like to  hopefully get some input from people who have used the "package", since browsing through Tokyo hotels, the "HILTON" stay at TOKYO appears attractive.

Hope to hear more comments from people who have used the package   

Agree with @ronrick1943.

The included pre-cruise only includes:

• 3 nights in the Hilton Tokyo or similar
  • 3 Breakfasts
  • 3 half-day excursions
  • Transfers

So you would still be organising and paying for quite a lot yourselves e.g. lunches & dinners each day.

Possibly better value to do your own thing and have the pleasure of researching & planning what you would particularly enjoy doing in or near Tokyo.

Check carefully what credit you will receive if you do not take the included package; you should still get the included one night pre-cruise hotel & transfer to the ship.

We have not sampled this particular Regent offering, or for that matter been to Tokyo. We should have been on a Regent cruise there this coming March but it was torpedoed by the dreaded virus ☹️

This i some of what I posted here on May, 17, 2019 about our mariner cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver.

"Pre-Cruise Adventure. The included “Sunrise Over Tokyo” was unexpectedly delightful and the best organized (yes I know, it is Japan) of the several pre-cruises that we have done with Regent. Not terribly fast-paced which nicely matched our conditions after a 15 hour flight and a 13 hour time change. Tokyo Hilton was beautiful; provided very nice breakfasts to about 250 of us and was nicely located for night time adventure – we did  a wonderful  3 hour “Shinjuku by Night” with “Tours by Locals”. Hilton food looked wonderful but was pricey; we had delicious dinners (Italian and Japanese) in the basement promenade restaurants."

------"This i some of what I posted here on May, 17, 2019 about our mariner cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver."

Thanks a lot "DeepFreeze" ,  your comments are definitely encouraging to consider the package. 

Incidentally, Tokyo Hilton is sold out for the pre-cruise dates, wonder if Regent can get it  

Recent pre and post-cruise Regent Add-ons have been at Cape Town, Beijing, and Kuala Lumpur.  Top hotels ( regarding Cape Town, a Safari Lodge) and amenities.  Well-planned excursions, particularly at Beijing.  Our experiences have, in addition to those already-listed, included a small group hosted dinner at a local restaurant.

One of our four (so-far) canceled Regent cruises was an April-May 2021 Tokyo-Vancouver, B.C. segment with the "Sunrise over Tokyo" pre-stay.  Opted-out of that about a month ago [await Regent's formally canceling that cruise within the next week] to sign up for Mariner's April-May 2022 Tokyo to San Francisco segment.   Again, got the three-day "Vibrant Tokyo" add-on.  Anticipate Regent will continue to utilize the Hilton Hotel in downtown Tokyo near the arrival airport and Imperial Grounds. 

Based on all past prior experiences, recommend having Regent schedule the city excursions.  You always have the option to opt-out of a particular tour and strike out on your own.  

GOARMY!

Thanks GOARMY

Was there any problems with your arrival time  and Hotel check in? Our flight arrives in Tokyo 5:15 am, and Hotel check in is listed at 4:00 pm. Any comments/suggestions appreciated 

Forevertravel:  

I do not know, for certain, this segment will be canceled.  Was not willing to await another month of uncertainty anticipating Regent's early January 2021 announcement of another series of cancelations.  

Decided early last month following consultation(s) with our TA that a prudent course would be to shift to a similar Mariner 2022 segment.  Explorer remains (at last report) wandering in the 'Med from shore to shore to keep the lights on.  That is not a good harbinger.  It should have been (according to the now-obsolete schedule) currently cruising The Coral Sea en route to Sydney.

Of primary consideration in our decision to postpone was (and still remains) obtaining the vaccine; and confirming that this will be a required prerequisite.  Just too-many uncertainties as to cruising anywhere prior to mid to late 2021 under whatever new protocols will be in effect. 

We are currently "onboard" for Mariner's October-November Barcelona to Miami segment.  Hold out about 50-50 odds that that one will go.  

Each has to define a comfort zone and/or what degree of uncertainty is tolerable in The Era of COVID.    

GOARMY!

Docmark. My husband and I are also doing this cruise. We have never cruiser with Regent, and have never been to Tokyo. We opted for the pre cruise land with the thought that it gives organized sightseeing and on own time. If you opt to do the pre cruise also perhaps we'll meet😊

19 minutes ago, Cleckie said:

Docmark. My husband and I are also doing this cruise. We have never cruiser with Regent, and have never been to Tokyo. We opted for the pre cruise land with the thought that it gives organized sightseeing and on own time. If you opt to do the pre cruise also perhaps we'll meet😊

Great Cleckie, I am leaning toward doing the pre cruise. Already have booked business flight LAX-TOKYO, arriving 5:15 AM , worried about feasibility of checking in that day, since info on pre-cruise package says check-in is 4 pm. Looking forward to meeting you !! 

We are also booked on this cruise although it does not look good. Canada is now requiring a negative Covid test no longer than three days before arriving. We have always taken the three day pre-cruise and have been happy with them. Nice hotels, good guides, and a good way to see the city without having the work of planning and finding private tours. Our flight arrives at 3:15pm so we are OK. Whenever we have arrived early we have found the earliest rooms are ready is noon. You can book a room for the previous night so they will have a room ready for you. If you do, do it on your own. Regent charges the room rate per person which is ridiculous. That said, you already have your tickets so that may not be doable. We'll wait and see what this month brings as far as news. Final payment is due in February.

5 hours ago, forevertravel said:

Canada is now requiring a negative Covid test no longer than three days before arriving.

Unfortunately, I do not think our government has totally figured this out yet. Onus seems to be on the airlines right now, and they are somewhat confused. Many other hurdles to get over. Awaiting word as to when Canadian ports reopen, current closure is until the end of Feb. Japan is currently closed to tourists from many countries. Each day gets us closer, and I look forward to using a FCC and finalizing travel plans.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, docmark said:

Great Cleckie, I am leaning toward doing the pre cruise. Already have booked business flight LAX-TOKYO, arriving 5:15 AM , worried about feasibility of checking in that day, since info on pre-cruise package says check-in is 4 pm. Looking forward to meeting you !! 

You should be at the Hilton about 7-7:30AM. There's interesting things to keep you busy (if you're not too tired) within a few blocks of the Hilton until your room is available. During our free time, we did: a large Mall with several department stores (we were fascinated with the food displays); a local shopping street (with a "Japanese" McDs and a "100 Yen" store); a lovely shrine/graveyard; a small art museum (with Van Gogh's "Irises"), a high rise office overlook of the city, etc. Very nice tourist maps on the street corners. Lots of nearby lunch choices. Again, I recommend a night tour - unbelievable!

Thanks for all your suggestions, DeepFreeze, very helpful.. We plan to get lots of sleep on the plane !!, main reason we chose a midnight departure.

Did you mean a night tour separate from the "pre-cruise package" ?