When will Celebrity cancel cruises beyond February 2021?

erlyvon

I am in the position where I rescheduled an 11 night caribbean cruise from Sept 2020 to October 2021

Now it looks like over 7 day cruises from USA ports are banned til November

The travel agent has been holding my money since May 2020, they still have it

Even though Celebrity were offering 125% future cruise credit for rescheduled cruises, we didnt get it because even 5 weeks after I paid the balance, IGLU had not paid Celebrity

Now I am told that cancellations for over 7 day cruises in October 2021are likely but Celebrity have only cancelled until February so far. So I can see that I will have to wait until mid summer til they eventually cancel for October, by which time, the agent will still have my money and I wont get any enhanced FCC as an incentive to rebook

That’s one of the drawbacks of booking cruises through a UK agent. In the US the travel agent does not routinely hold on to the deposit. Your credit card is charged by Celebrity. We have given up on using UK cruise agents. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Smee said:

I am in the position where I rescheduled an 11 night caribbean cruise from Sept 2020 to October 2021

Now it looks like over 7 day cruises from USA ports are banned til November

The travel agent has been holding my money since May 2020, they still have it

Even though Celebrity were offering 125% future cruise credit for rescheduled cruises, we didnt get it because even 5 weeks after I paid the balance, IGLU had not paid Celebrity

Now I am told that cancellations for over 7 day cruises in October 2021are likely but Celebrity have only cancelled until February so far. So I can see that I will have to wait until mid summer til they eventually cancel for October, by which time, the agent will still have my money and I wont get any enhanced FCC as an incentive to rebook

I hope you made a typo on your cruise date.  Presume it is 2021 and not 2020.

Do you have a copy of your Celebrity reservation?  You TA would have had to send your deposit to Celebrity when you made your reservation.  Suggest you check.  Your final payment is not due until JUNE.  Agree you cruise is likely to either be modified or cancelled - with neither happening until Summer.

Thus you can cancel and if a nonrefundable deposit receive a FCC for your deposit.  If refundable you can get your money back.  The 125% option is only if Celebrity cancelled.

If you booked outside the US you are subject to the rules in the UK or Australia for example.  When I resided in Australia always used a US travel agent.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

In the UK the travel agent usually holds on to the deposit until final payment is made. All deposits here are non refundable, not just for cruises, any kind of package holiday unless the tour operator cancels. It’s a lose, lose situation. 

16 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

Holland America just announced pause through April 30, 2021.  Carnival has paused also - although same company.

I read this morning that HAL has also canceled all Europe cruises from Rome and Venice through the end of May. I am not holding out any hope for our Infinity Cruise in May from Venice. Final Payment is due mid February.

How much longer can the cruise companies survive with zero income? I will never take any FCC from any cruise line for cancelled cruises until the pandemic is under control.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, sandancer said:

In the UK the travel agent usually holds on to the deposit until final payment is made. All deposits here are non refundable, not just for cruises, any kind of package holiday unless the tour operator cancels. It’s a lose, lose situation. 

You are right, they have you where they want you! Only advantage is the throw in pre cruise stays and other extras sometimes. In hindsight not woth the trouble.

If Celebrity cancel in say, June, they will have had my money for many many months and I wont be entitled to any enhanced FCC

It Stinks!!

14 hours ago, sandancer said:

So Celebrity holds a reservation without being paid a deposit?  And the TA keeps the deposit if the client cancels? Unusual business practice.

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

So Celebrity holds a reservation without being paid a deposit?  And the TA keeps the deposit if the client cancels? Unusual business practice.

I’m not sure if the travel agent passes the deposit on to the cruise lines if the client cancels but I do know for sure that it’s not returned. Standard for the UK. When making payments the credit card statement shows the name of the agency and not the cruise line as the recipient of the funds. The large high street agent we have used in the past asks for payment 4 weeks before final payment to allow for the transfer of funds. We now use a travel agent in the US for obvious reasons. 

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

I’m not sure if the travel agent passes the deposit on to the cruise lines if the client cancels but I do know for sure that it’s not returned. Standard for the UK. When making payments the credit card statement shows the name of the agency and not the cruise line as the recipient of the funds. The large high street agent we have used in the past asks for payment 4 weeks before final payment to allow for the transfer of funds. We now use a travel agent in the US for obvious reasons. 

I don't know about the UK, but because of  the pandemic TA's are dropping like flies here in the US. What happens too your deposits if the UK TA goes bankrupt? 

The Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) should step in and refund. When you get a large operator such as the recent demise of Thomas Cook your money is safe. If however, you book with an agent who is not a member of ABTA I assume you are out of pocket. May be able to claim on the credit card. We prefer to use an agent in the US as the money goes straight to the cruise line. 

We’re on the 4/19/21 Reflection TA and the 5/5/21 Reflection British Isles cruises. No way either will go, as it doesn’t seem there’s enough time to get the ship ready, re-equipped, staffed, positioned, and provisioned. That’s not even considering the travel situation to the US, UK & EU.

So when might Celebrity cancel these two. As always, that’s anyone’s guess.

Anyone think there’s a chance they’ll cancel one, and not the other? I’m not going to deal with that!

Doc Ruth

19 minutes ago, docruth said:

We’re on the 4/19/21 Reflection TA and the 5/5/21 Reflection British Isles cruises. No way either will go, as it doesn’t seem there’s enough time to get the ship ready, re-equipped, staffed, positioned, and provisioned. That’s not even considering the travel situation to the US, UK & EU.

Anyone think there’s a chance they’ll cancel one, and not the other? I’m not going to deal with that!

Doc Ruth

I personally don't think either one will go.  This puts you in between a rock and a hard place.  If you cancel and have a non-refundable deposit, under CWC, it would go into FCC.  If you wanted a full refund, you would have to make final payment, then request the full refund.  If you had fully refundable deposits, I would cancel now.  🍷

• Like 1

16 hours ago, docruth said:

Doc Ruth

Have you looked into a Lift & Shift to 2022?  I am booked on a 19th April cruise that I expect, will not happen, but the L&S option finishes at the end of January. So I have a few weeks to make up my mind. For me it is the best option as the 2022 prices are way higher than my usual budget. 

39 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Have you looked into a Lift & Shift to 2022?  I am booked on a 19th April cruise that I expect, will not happen, but the L&S option finishes at the end of January. So I have a few weeks to make up my mind. For me it is the best option as the 2022 prices are way higher than my usual budget. 

I suspect the L&S will be extended, too many are booked on cruises this year that likely will not happen. We are in that group with 2 cruises in Europe on the Infinity. If not we will just cancel before final payments are due for a refund of deposits,  no way we take any FCC from any cruise line.

Edited by terrydtx

23 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I suspect the L&S will be extended, too many are booked on cruises this year that likely will not happen. We are in that group with 2 cruises in Europe on the Infinity. If not we will just cancel before final payments are due for a refund of deposits,  no way we take any FCC from any cruise line.

I am with you, no FCC here.  My next cruise is not until Aug 28,2021 and has a refundable deposit, no way I will make final payment before the last day, if I do so at all.  Plenty of time to see how it all unfolds once cruising resumes even in a limited capacity.  Will def keep my eyes on CC for the feedback from the folks who do go in the coming months.   Good luck making those decisions folks, but I sure as heck wish Celebrity would be a bit more forthright on some of this.

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

Have you looked into a Lift & Shift to 2022?  I am booked on a 19th April cruise that I expect, will not happen, but the L&S option finishes at the end of January.

Is L&S an option on that sailing?  I didn't think there was a comparable sailing next year.  My sister is booked on that sailing as well.

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Is L&S an option on that sailing?  I didn't think there was a comparable sailing next year.  My sister is booked on that sailing as well.

My cruise is 19th April Silhouette. Is that the same cruise? If so there are two options to shift to.