Canadian Exchange rate lowered!

ceilidh1

3 hours ago, bbangel74 said:

What was the rate before?

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

$1.35 maybe?

Not maybe - it was.  It was raised from 1.30 to 1.35 back in 2020 after the CAD had fallen for a while.  There always seems to be a delayed reaction - it made things good for customers for a while last year and lately it has been quite poor for customers.  1.30 is still on the high side if one had access to good exchange rates or a credit card with no currency exchange surcharges.

What I fail to understand is why Princess dithers around with the conversions and adjusts the CAD pricing by pennies at times such that it isn't exactly 1.30, but that is the rate they are working with.  I am think the port taxes are always off because they are internally converting each individual number instead of just converting the USD total.  But, with some experience, anyone can derive the USD number.  Or, just shop for the cruise on a generic US website as sellers must post the same prices as Princess sells at - even if they offer a discount later to a customer they establish a relationship with.

• Like 1

The Canadian dollar has actually gone up over the past few months.   It is only $1.30 Cad for every USD, as opposed to $1.35 Cad for every USD.

The actually exchange rate today $1.27 Cad for every USD.

A few years ago the Canadian dollar was at par with the US.   Not sure that will happen in the near future.

• Like 1

The USD closed at $1.267 today so $1.30 is still not that great a rate.  For me, it would still make sense to book in USD right now.  I have a credit card that doesn't charge a foreign exchange fee and I tend to book last minute, so I don't need to worry about any big drops in the CAD before final payment.

Looking at today's (1/5/2021) exchange rates:

1 GBP = 1.3616 USD or 1 USD = .735 GBP

1 CAD = .7888 USD or 1 USD = 1.2679 CAD

1 AUD = .7756 USD or 1 USD = 1.2901 AUD

1 EUR = 1.2284 USD or 1 USD = .8138 EUR

CAD exchange rates to USD has fluctuated as they all do during 2020 from a high of 1.45 USD to current 1.26 USD for each single CAD.  For Princess to use the 1.30 USD exchange rate gives the advantage to those using CAD to pay today.  Tomorrow is another story.

Be careful using credit cards as some charge a fee to convert currency some as high as 5%.  Always check with you credit card company.

Absolutely check your credit card provisions.

We do a fair amount of international travel and buying travel products in currency other than CAD.  We use a credit card (Home Trust) for all of these transactions. 

We see no reason to give a credit card provider/bank and extra 3 percent on every FX transaction. 

• Like 1