Solo Traveler

cruising mickey

5 minutes ago, cruising mickey said:

Hello,

My fiance and I are planning adding cruise just for the 2 of us and fiance's 11 year old child. Would we be able to book a studio room for the child as long as it connects to our stateroom?

Thanks

Take a look at NCL's FAQ entitled "What are Norwegian Cruise Line's Age Requirements" where it states inter alia "Traveling with Minors and Young Adults:  Norwegian Cruise Line's policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or a connecting/adjoining stateroom) by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding."

2 hours ago, cruising mickey said:

Hello, My fiance and I are planning adding cruise just for the 2 of us and fiance's 11 year old child. Would we be able to book a studio room for the child as long as it connects to our stateroom? Thanks

Unfortunately, studios don't connect to regular staterooms. You will have to book to connecting balcony rooms with you (paying double occupancy) in one room and your fiancé and child in the other.

Or book one room for three (the kid sails free on the current promotion). Enroll the kid in the Splash Academy and they will spend a lot of time there (while you get a bit of private time to yourselves). 

Remember, that your fiancé must have all of the requisite travel documentation (consent/release form) for the kid to travel without their other parent.  

One technique for traveling with a child is this:  Book a cabin with the couch by the balcony or window.

Buy a set of strong magnets with hooks, a box of small binder clips, and a lightweight queen sheet.  Hang it up to make a room divider.  Affords a little more privacy and low light can be on for one side without terrible impact to the other.

23 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

One technique for traveling with a child is this:  Book a cabin with the couch by the balcony or window.

Buy a set of strong magnets with hooks, a box of small binder clips, and a lightweight queen sheet.  Hang it up to make a room divider.  Affords a little more privacy and low light can be on for one side without terrible impact to the other.

I've seen some do this same thing but use a shower curtain or two.  They generally have holes in them to accommodate the magnetic hooks.

19 hours ago, WickedRed said:

I've seen some do this same thing but use a shower curtain or two.  They generally have holes in them to accommodate the magnetic hooks.

Oh yes. But find a dark, opaque color! And fabric, not plastic, as it needs to be flexible at the edge where it meets the wall.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:05 PM, Named-Tawny said:

I could be mistaken but, AFAIK, while there are studios that adjoin other studios, they don't make studios that adjoin multi-occupancy cabins.

You are correct, all of the studios are in there own section of the ship 

On 1/11/2021 at 9:44 PM, cruising mickey said:

Hello,

My fiance and I are planning adding cruise just for the 2 of us and fiance's 11 year old child. Would we be able to book a studio room for the child as long as it connects to our stateroom?

Thanks

Studios are in there own separate area. I have seen single parents with teens in adjoining studios but not 2 adults,

It would probably be less costly to get 2 adjoining inside rooms. Make one of them without perks since you will not want to pay for the gratuity on the drink package. 
You will have to list her on one of the rooms with an adult and the other adult in the adjoining cabin 

• 4 weeks later...

If the child is coming, this is a family cruise, not a romantic cruise, sorry. The child will need to be in your cabin. Assuming the kids clubs are operational when you cruise you can plan to grab some private time when the child is there, but you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're thinking about an adult cruising experience. Think of it that way, plan family activities and enjoy. As a solo kid the kids clubs can be a really good place to meet other kids and enhance his/her vacation and cruising experience. Perhaps you can discuss some solo things to do with the child, each of you having some 1:1 time which also give each of you some solo time.

Good luck planning and happy cruising!

• Like 1

other than the fact i wouldnt want an 11 yr old in a cabin by themselves, if you want to book the studio, book it  in the name of your fiance, and the other cabin for you and the child. once its booked that way, ncl doesnt check or care who sleeping in which cabin.

or you can splurge a little, book a balcony and an indoor cabin directly across. either way, book one inthe adults name, and the other for the child and the other adult.

or, which is much better, book a 2 bedroom suite. its a little more money, but the perks are great

The best solution is going to be to book your fiance` and her kid in a balcony cabin, then book yourself in an inside cabin right across the hall. Once you're onboard it doesn't matter who sleeps where so you can easily have the kid sleep in the inside room and you guys can rock the boat in the balcony room without any worries.

Edited by DaCruiseBug

16 hours ago, complawyer said:

other than the fact i wouldnt want an 11 yr old in a cabin by themselves, if you want to book the studio, book it  in the name of your fiance, and the other cabin for you and the child. once its booked that way, ncl doesnt check or care who sleeping in which cabin.

or you can splurge a little, book a balcony and an indoor cabin directly across. either way, book one inthe adults name, and the other for the child and the other adult.

or, which is much better, book a 2 bedroom suite. its a little more money, but the perks are great

I believe NCL (and perhaps adjoining passengers) would care if an 11-year-old was left alone in the studio section of the ship.

• Like 1

An 11yo wouldn't be allowed in the studio area. Studios are for solos, an 11yo cannot be a solo.

Would people really leave an 11yo in a hotel room alone overnight, night after night, really?

Edited by Nola26
  • Like 1

Does it have to be an NCL cruise?

MSC Meraviglia offers Studio Interior rooms similar to NCL Studios. Most of them are sandwiched between aft balcony rooms and connect to those cabins. Lousy for solo cruisers but well-suited for families/groups. Other Studio Interiors are next to regular interiors, although they won't be connecting rooms.

Royal Caribbean's Quantum-class ships have a unique setup where a regular balcony, junior suite, and studio interior (with virtual balcony) are grouped together. They're not connecting rooms but they share a short hallway off the main corridor.

16 hours ago, Nola26 said:

An 11yo wouldn't be allowed in the studio area. Studios are for solos, an 11yo cannot be a solo.

Would people really leave an 11yo in a hotel room alone overnight, night after night, really?

Did you even read?    She's looking for a studio cabin that CONNECTS to her room.    She doesn't know that the studio cabins are all separate and don't connect to standard cabins.    You'd have to be an NCL insider to know the studio cabins are in a separate area.      

In no way is she stating she wants her 11 year old in a separate area of the ship (night after night) and this is understood with comprehension skills.     You need comprehension skills and common sense.   

29 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

Did you even read?    She's looking for a studio cabin that CONNECTS to her room.    She doesn't know that the studio cabins are all separate and don't connect to standard cabins.    You'd have to be an NCL insider to know the studio cabins are in a separate area.      

In no way is she stating she wants her 11 year old in a separate area of the ship (night after night) and this is understood with comprehension skills.     You need comprehension skills and common sense.   

I have read the thread. There are comments about Solo cabins...no need to tell me what I need or accuse me of anything. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

I'm afraid you may be the one who has not read all of the posts on this thread.  It has been explained to the OP that Studio cabins are not connected to any other cabins except their own.  Studio > Studio, no problem but that's it.  Also important to note, these cabins are meant for adults only. 

It has been suggested that OP change the outlook/expectation of this cruise, or get a connecting cabin, or a balcony with an inside across the hall, ..etc... 

How many of the posts did you read? 

5 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

or a balcony with an inside across the hall

I've seen this suggested several times and have a question which pertains to the OP's situation, though they seem to have been a "drive-by".

On the -Away class ships, the inside rooms are accessed through an interior hallway.  Using the Getaway as an example - does booking 11714 and 11415 (just pulled two for an example) ACTUALLY count, considering the doors are not facing each other or even in the same hall?  There are no balcony/inside combos on those ships where the doors are across the hall from each other.  With that in mind - the OP would have to look at the smaller ships, or the Epic, to have a balcony/inside combo with doors across the hall from each other, correct?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coastcat said:

Royal Caribbean's Quantum-class ships have a unique setup where a regular balcony, junior suite, and studio interior (with virtual balcony) are grouped together. They're not connecting rooms but they share a short hallway off the main corridor.

With the footnote that the upcoming Odyssey of the Seas has dropped that configuration.

I'll also note that in order to access that short hallway requires a card swipe.  One could possibly book both that JS and Studio Interior and leave the individual room doors open, just using the key to access the main hall door.  When I sailed Anthem in 2018 I was in the Studio with people I don't know in the JS, I think we eventually ran into each other on one of the last days of the cruise.

@hallux  hard to know what would work best for this couple, however, if it was something I was seriously looking at with my family, I'd gravitate towards the Joy with Family Suites - SP. I think they're around 500 sq. ft. obviously this is just the rendering but certainly looks spacious with lots of privacy available. 

Family Suite floor plan

Edited by All-ready2cruise