Celebration beached

tidecat

The former Celebration has been beached in Alang. She sailed for Carnival from 1987-2008 before moving to Carnival owned Iberocruceros. Six years later she joined Costa before being sold to Bahamas Paradise the day before entering service with Costa; even in 2017, Costa signage could still be found on board in various places.

Ironically this was my only non-Carnival cruise, as I sailed on her in 2017 under BPCL, while her winged funnel was being repainted from black and white to orange and white.

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 4:40 PM, SeaHunt said:

Good article on "recycling" cruise ships here, including $ prices paid:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24172-how-to-scrap-a-cruise-ship-and-what-they-go-for.html

A quick read says normally about $400 per ton, but at low as $90 a ton during the flood of breaking ships during the pandemic.

Celebration is 180,000 GT, so that is about 500 million, if I'm doing this right

47 minutes ago, mpk said:

Celebration is 180,000 GT, so that is about 500 million, if I'm doing this right

Pardon me if I misunderstand you, but I think you're referring to the 180,000 ton (or thereabouts) Carnival Celebration that is still under construction.  The "Celebration" referred to in this thread was built back in 1987 and had a GRT of around 48,000.

Also, GRT is a measurement of space, not weight.  I THINK the tonnage listed here is the actual weight of the steel contained in the ship, but I could be wrong.

Garnett

• Like 1

9 hours ago, N7786W Flyer said:

Pardon me if I misunderstand you, but I think you're referring to the 180,000 ton (or thereabouts) Carnival Celebration that is still under construction.  The "Celebration" referred to in this thread was built back in 1987 and had a GRT of around 48,000.

Also, GRT is a measurement of space, not weight.  I THINK the tonnage listed here is the actual weight of the steel contained in the ship, but I could be wrong.

You're absolutely right, on both points.  Thanks for the education.  Gross Tonnage is a measure of volume.

I'm not sure how the breakers pay the $ per ton, I would think they would use the common measure for ships, which apparently is gross tonnage.

Grand Celebration was 6,405 Dead Weight Tons (DWT). At $90/DWT that would be just over $540,000. I'm not sure if that includes things like galley equipment and plumbing fixtures, which would fetch a fair amount, and it likely wouldn't include things like furniture that could be sold secondhand.

• Like 1