The Daily for Thursday Jan 14, 2021

richwmn

today is Dress Up Your Pet Day, International Kite Day, and Organize Your Home Day

Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.
        -- Aldous Huxley

Meal suggestion for today - Stephanies Slow-Cooker Stew

Drink of the Day - The Midnight Mary

Wine of the day - Henri Bourgeois Sancerre Les Baronnes vintage 2017

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam off San Diego
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0114Torbay.png

0114USA.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I wonder how many pets appreciate the dressing up.  I'll pass on the kites and not very organized at home but will be ready tonight for trash pickup tomorrow.  I'll take issue with Huxley, technology seems to me to be a godsend right now with virtual meetings and a vaccine.  Any stew is nice on a cold winter day.  My alternative is Fiesta Chicken Soup, Strip Loin Steak, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 14, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes14.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Ireland’s Covid outbreak

Our Nation

Master Marley

StLouisCruiser’s MIL, Sister, and 2 nephews

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard garlictown

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Refunds for Crazy for Cats

Mamaofami and Cruise Suzy donating stimulus proceeds to food banks

Kazu’s BIL’s mom cleared of Covid

Jab scheduled for curisn single

New paint for cat shepard

TiogaCruiser’s new stove

Stair lift for Krazy Kruizers

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

I don't think Bertie would appreciate being dressed up, so I won't try.  I have been trying to organize my house.  I don't think I will fly a kite today.

Love the maps.

Interesting quote.

Thanks for the meal suggestions, soup or stew - both good choices on a cold winter's day.

I look forward to reading about the wine and the drink of the day.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 16

Good morning to all.  Hockey has returned so that’s something to look forward to, go Canes!  It will be a unique season with realigned divisions.  Those in the north (not a GOT reference) will duke it out among themselves.  May the best team win.

• Like 9

Quick jump in with the cocktail.  Will be back later.

Midnight Mary:

Midnight Mary Ingredients:
- ¼ Cup Kosher Salt
- ¼ Cup Old Bay
- 4 oz. Carrot Juice
- 4 oz. Ménage á Trois Midnight
- 2 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon Celery Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 or 2 Fresh Jalapenos, sliced
- Celery Sticks, Carrots, Olives, Lime, Jalapenos, Lemon for Garnish

Midnight Mary Preparation:
1. Mix kosher salt and Old Bay
2. Wet rims of 2 glasses and dip in mixture
3. In shaker add ice, carrot juice, Ménage á Trois Midnight, lemon juice, lime juice, celery salt, ginger, and Jalapenos; season with pepper. 
4. Shake
5. Strain into glasses, 
6. Garnish with any or all (Celery Sticks, Carrots, Olives, Lime, Jalapenos, Lemon)

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.05.48 AM.png

• Like 16

I love the quote for the day! Our new mail lady wanted to meet our dogs last fall so she would know what kind of halloween costumes to order. Intrigued by the Bloody Mary, but today’s drink is going to be Rudesheim coffee. 

Thank you Rich and Roy, for this always feel good discussion. When I want to escape the news, this site makes me feel good.

Still a bit worried about Canada’s weather. Where is my map??

Hope everyone stays safe and warm. 

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, doobieb said:

I love the quote for the day! Our new mail lady wanted to meet our dogs last fall so she would know what kind of halloween costumes to order. Intrigued by the Bloody Mary, but today’s drink is going to be Rudesheim coffee. 

Thank you Rich and Roy, for this always feel good discussion. When I want to escape the news, this site makes me feel good.

Still a bit worried about Canada’s weather. Where is my map??

Hope everyone stays safe and warm. 

Thanks for a bit of education this morning. I’m German, have been to rudesheim several times but did not know they have a specialty coffee. In the vein of Spanish coffee and Irish coffee, this one is made with Asbach uralt, a German cognac.

curious, what Canadian map are you looking for?

• Like 8

Good Thursday morning.  My kitty doesn't like to be held.  I can't imagine what she would do if I tried to dress her up.  No kites for us and I've organized my home about as much as I can these past 10 months.  I disagree with the quote, would be lost without facetime with grandson up north.  The meal sounds great, it's cold at 53 here.

Prayers for all of us, and Marley. Shoutouts for our other list.

My SIL got the first shot yesterday because he is ski patrol and considered essential.  My DD who is a teacher doesn't know when they will get theirs and they go back to the classroom on January 25.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

• Like 14

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! You should have seen the look Bindi gave me when I told her it was Dress Up Your Pet Day.  So instead we will celebrate 🪁 & organizing!

Roy - yet again thank you for keeping up with our lists. I agree with your opinion of the quote.  I laughed when I saw you put my new paint on your celebration list, but my neighbor who has had to look at the stucco repair blotches is probably really celebrating.

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Special prayers for Marley & his human. We have a white wine Jacqui, that must be a good omen. I will have to look up the meal. Summer - that drink sounds amazing, but “ménage a trios”?  Edited to add: Ménage a trios is either a moscato wine, or as in the case of the Midnight used in today’s drink - a red blend. Decent ratings, too. BTW it was 42 here, when Bindi & I headed out this morning.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating.  
Stay well everyone!

This Sancerre from Loire sounds perfect to me! Though the “flint” 🤔 puzzles me a bit. I found it online for$26.99. Subsequent vintages share the same great ratings. 

#46 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

“Les Baronnes” is typical of the Sancerre appellation and the Domaine Henri Bourgeois style. Subtle yet powerful, its persistence and harmony find their origin in the exposition and quality of the terroir. Crispy, and fruity this wine has some lime, apple and gun flint aromas balanced by ripe tropical and yellow orchard fruits. 

WS92 Wine Spectator: Lively, with bright lemon curd, gooseberry, thyme and lime pith notes. The bright finis has mouthwatering cut thanks to a light chalky echo. 
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 16

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

No Dressing up of my dogs today other than a potential soft “cone” for Marley when he comes home.  (I won’t use the cone of shame).  Organizing my home is in the plans today - especially my office upstairs.  I can do it with no dogs for a few hours once I get Miko to the groomers.

@rafinmd I don’t think Master Marley needs to be on the Care list.  I appreciate it but he’s a four legged family member and there are a lot more people with serious need for care than he.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes for Marley.  So very kind of you all ❤️  He’s at the vets now and brilliant me contacted Miko’s groomer to see if she could do him today.  That way, he won’t be here sulking waiting for Marley to come home.

Got the estimate for the surgery this morning and the budget is definitely taking a hit:

3F61559D-A6E3-4FA7-AC0A-6E0857377D12.jpeg.01cb3aa80cf94f0b36f2adbe16a05b2f.jpeg

Definitely I need to be frugal now so:

A648C5DB-A9BE-410E-AC94-6B86C03828D1.jpeg.dee077172bc028503dc3eef51fbd28c7.jpeg

Love the Huxley quote, Rich.

That midnight Mary looks interesting summer.  Cat, that white wine sounds very nice.  Delighted to see a white two days in a row.  Maybe it is an omen?

Hope everyone has a good Thursday.  Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list and those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Stay safe everyone and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Sochi doesn't take well to being dressed up; if I'd tried flying a kite last night, it would have ended up on @kazu's doorstep; while in lockdown, it seems we've organized almost everything in the house, maybe it's time for a re-do!

Well, my friends, it was literally a dark and stormy last night!  Good grief, that Alberta Clipper came through here with a vengeance, knocking down traffic light poles, restaurant signs, snapping off trees, and more.  We were without power (thus the dark) for about 2.5 hours during the height of the storm, but IKEA to the rescue with a bunch of tea lights placed in drinking glasses around the house.  Fortunately the brunt of the storm came through after dinner, so we just tossed a couple of extra blankets on the bed, grabbed our wine glasses, and tucked in.  Just when we decided it was time to blow out the candles, the lights came back on, so we proceeded to get up and re-set all the beeping appliances as well as turning off all the lights that were on when the power went out.  It's still dark out, but I can see there's some serious shovelling to do - we didn't get a lot of snow, but a wind like that (gusts of 118 km) blows it into cement-like drifts on the driveway, which is a real treat to try to shovel.

I love the suggestion for dinner and happen to have some chicken thawing, so will put together a slow cooker chicken stew for dinner tonight.  Accompanied by a side salad, it should make a good apres shovelling meal.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Saying an extra for Marley, wishing for a good outcome from his biopsy today.  Raising our wine glasses to toast all on the celebration list tonight.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Well, my friends, it was literally a dark and stormy last night!  Good grief, that Alberta Clipper came through here with a vengeance, knocking down traffic light poles, restaurant signs, snapping off trees, and more.  We were without power (thus the dark) for about 2.5 hours during the height of the storm,

Yikes 😱 That was some clipper, Gerry.

Glad you got your power back in a reasonable amount of time.  Winter is no time to be without heat for long 😬 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  

Great news yesterday @kazu about your BIL's Mom's recovery from Covid.  We are only a week in with my MIL, but she is doing fine so far.  The cough medicine she is on makes her sleepier than usual, but DH did make a call to her yesterday between the ZZZZs.  I will be checking on sister and nephews later today and hope they are still doing well.  Also good thoughts coming Marley's way today.  What great parents he has to take such great care of him.  And lastly, I love the "funnies" you posted today (and everyday).  Always brings a smile to my face.

• Like 18

Hello all!  I haven't been on much lately.  Our new puppy has been keeping me pretty busy.    Thanks for the daily.  Sending prayers to all the people on the care list.  And congrads for those on the celebration list.

Ut oh puppy needs to go "out" bye for now.

Helen

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Hflors said:

Hello all!  I haven't been on much lately.  Our new puppy has been keeping me pretty busy.    Thanks for the daily.  Sending prayers to all the people on the care list.  And congrads for those on the celebration list.

Ut oh puppy needs to go "out" bye for now.

Helen

Good to see you Helen!

• Like 4

Good Morning Everyone.

It is a cool but sunny day here at the beach.  This afternoon I am playing golf with 2 friends and my son. Golf has kept my sanity during this crazy time. We are outdoors, separated and only use our own equipment. Most of the time we walk which is even better, thats why we go in the afternoon. 

There are a lot of visitors here so we dont do anything else. 

Stay safe.

• Like 13

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 Crystal 2-ship world cruise.  Sometimes the sun really plays hide and seek and I found the light conditions on the promenade deck more interesting than the sunset.  On January 14 the Crystal Serenity was waved off a call to Puerto Caldera:

dawn0114.jpg

Roy

• Like 23