2021 Schedule

crispy46

1 hour ago, Ladys Mom said:

I am hoping our Nov 7, 2021 TA from Athens to Miami on the Splendor will be a go because it is after   The current CDC seven day cruise end date of No. 1.  Only time will tell.

With the current order until Nov 1 and your cruise likely scheduled to begin before Nov 1 would think likely the cruise will be a no go by beginning while the order is in effect.  Only time will tell.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:49 PM, spindrift said:

I believe the ships are being held hostage. Airplane passengers sit seat to seat to seat. All other forms of transportation are being allowed to move about. Let the ships sail again.  

Agreed!  The longer this goes on, the more firmly I believe that it's the CDC flexing their muscle because they can, and not because cruise ships have a heightened risk.  The covid situation in the US has been a mess, yet the CDC acts like cruising is the one and only activity that will descend us into the abyss.   Either nobody at the CDC has ever been on a ship, or someone high up hated their one and only cruise. 

• Like 2

There are vast differences between cruises and other activities.  Average flight is what 3 to 4 hours  Average cruise say 12 days or 288 hours.  Planes can get to an airport within a short period of time except on long overwater flights.  Ships can take many dats to reach a port that may or may not be able to handle an outbreak.  Cruise terminals and ship terminals the same with identical requirements.  Airplanes have excellent ventilation systems while ships have to be retrofitted and still won't come close to airplanes  IMHO the CDC requirements for the most part are necessary.  A few over the top but, most applicable and necessary.  Just look at the number of COVID cases on ships especially the ones that tried to reopen compared to airplanes.

Don't get me wrong, we really enjoy cruising but, won't even think of booking until the kinks are worked out and it can be close to what it was pre 2020/

The differences are vast and rationale much more than not having cruised  or one bad cruise.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, crispy46 said:

Rallydave,

Are you referring to the trip that leaves Athens on 11/11? We are on that as well and are hopeful but realistic.

Crispy46

Not me but, I did refer to Ladys Mom's post and my response there which I cannot edit was confusing at best as was thinking the cruise ended in Miami on Nov 7 but, alas it departs Athens on Nov. 7 giving it a chance of happening all depending on lots of factors.  Sorry for any confusion.

3 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Not me but, I did refer to Ladys Mom's post and my response there which I cannot edit was confusing at best as was thinking the cruise ended in Miami on Nov 7 but, alas it departs Athens on Nov. 7 giving it a chance of happening all depending on lots of factors.  Sorry for any confusion.

I had the date wrong.  It leaves Athens on 11/11.

I've not paid much attention to the CDC nonsense I admit.  So a cruise that ended in Miami, couldn't be more than 7 days long?  Up until November 1st at least.  Have I got that right?

So that leaves out the whole Mariner chain of TAs this fall--Venice, Rome and Barcelona, the latter departing on October 31st.  Oh well. Just starting to think that being onboard our beloved Mariner for a nice long time like that would be absolute heaven!  Guess I'll have to look at Splendor, sigh.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Correct Wendy. Any cruise that travels in US waters before November 1 has to follow CDC guidelines which includes no cruise over 7 days.  Unless the current guidelines are changed or different rules come up as the CDC ptt try ibises future direction which is expected in a few weeks. 

Edited by rallydave

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I've not paid much attention to the CDC nonsense I admit.  So a cruise that ended in Miami, couldn't be more than 7 days long?  Up until November 1st at least.  Have I got that right?

So that leaves out the whole Mariner chain of TAs this fall--Venice, Rome and Barcelona, the latter departing on October 31st.  Oh well. Just starting to think that being onboard our beloved Mariner for a nice long time like that would be absolute heaven!  Guess I'll have to look at Splendor, sigh.

Keep in mind that the CDC conditional sailing order was issued in October before any vaccines were even submitted for approval.  Realistically, the conditional sailing order is outdated and irrelevant, though the CDC would certainly beg to differ.

Also, if 75% of the adult population in the US accepts the vaccine, and if we maintain a vaccination rate of 1.5 million people per day, we're 100 or so days away from 'full' vaccination if that rate is for first-time vaccines and not 2nd doses.  Even at a slower rate, full vaccination should be mid-summer.  

With everything going on, there's no realistic reason to think that the CDC's old order will be in place without updates for a year.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, D C said:

With everything going on, there's no realistic reason to think that the CDC's old order will be in place without updates for a year.

You are absolutely correct.  In fact the order is missing a lot of requirements/data and the cruise lines are currently in a holding pattern waiting for the full requirements to be issues so they can move forward with their planning.  Saw last week that the CDC is saying the new requirements are in work and should be released within a few weeks.

And, this order will always be subject to change and most of us expect it to be changing on a regular basis as cruise lines negotiate the requirements so that they can safely resume sailing.

17 hours ago, D C said:

Well I would have the added complication of being Canadian.  At the moment I can fly to the U.S., but not drive.  Nothing has been said about arriving in the U.S. by cruise ship, but that would have to be relaxed or clarified as well.  Not thinking of booking right now, just dreaming.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 9:47 PM, mrlevin said:

The repatriation process will take place on two appointed ships. The Norwegian Joy which is in Aruba will gather non-essential crew from the ships stationed in the Caribbean and will proceed to the Philippines.

The Norwegian Encore which is in Southampton will make a few different stops along her journey back to Asia. The repatriation process will be similar to the one that took place last year with crew transfers to the appropriate vessel, before the crew finally sails to their homes in India, Indonesia and the Philippines, with anticipated arrival to the final destinations in late March or early April 2021.

Norwegian Encore left Southampton today heading for the Mediterranean; presumably to pick up non-essential crew from NCLH ships for repatriation to their home countries as previously reported.

See my #74 Post.  

In light of current events--now put chances of being at Barcelona in late October for subsequent October 31st Mariner boarding at 25%. 

Drip-drip-drip.

On the brighter side:  Will get first COVID vaccination shot this Saturday at local Costco pharmacy.  

Trying to keep the Faith.

GOARMY!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 9:47 PM, mrlevin said:

The repatriation process will take place on two appointed ships. The Norwegian Joy which is in Aruba will gather non-essential crew from the ships stationed in the Caribbean and will proceed to the Philippines.

The Norwegian Encore which is in Southampton will make a few different stops along her journey back to Asia. The repatriation process will be similar to the one that took place last year with crew transfers to the appropriate vessel, before the crew finally sails to their homes in India, Indonesia and the Philippines, with anticipated arrival to the final destinations in late March or early April 2021.

Update:

• The NCLH crew due to be repatriated on Norwegian Joy are now going home on charter flights according to a CrewCenter blog
  • Norwegian Encore is still picking up crew from NCLH ships in the Med as planned