How much would a small ship (ie: Spirit/Sun/Star) fetch for scrap pricing?

fstuff1

I was just thinking of 20 years ago when the ship that did the Hawaii loop before NCL took over was being offered for one million. It was a fine old ocean liner in a retro pre-balcony style, sort of like a mini Queen Eliz. Also the furnishings were for sale in a warehouse I wandered thru - they had hundreds of it's cans of soda on offer too.

NCL must be wondering about early-retiring ships or mothballing instead of doing drydock upgrades. What a miserable task being a manager of such a beleaguered industry.

Edited by dumbth
  • Like 1

I was thinking a scrapped ship may be essentially worthless after you take into account preparation, regulation compliance, etc. Look at the history of that Hawaii loop ship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Independence

which did pass thru the hands of NCL on it's epic journey trying to be scrapped. It gathered half million $ fines and was the subject of a global witch hunt due to it's ordinary amount of toxic material like found in common smoke detectors. It was eventually run aground and looted. It's sister ship the Constitution was "accidentally" sunk when being towed, probably saving more expenses than the value of scrapping.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

it would only be a guess, but ncl just made a big deal about spending 100,000,000 (that's correct) one hundred million, to reburbish the spirit.  doubt theyt'd want to scrap her now

Carnival refurbished a ship in 2019 and scraped her in 2020.

So it's not unheard of

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Typically between $80 and $200 per ton depending on the market at the time when it is put out for bids.

And, remember, that is actual weight tons, not Gross Tons.  Those ships would have a displacement (actual weight) of around 25-30,000 tons.  And, the larger issue is not the time when the ship is scrapped, though the glut of cruise ships scrapped in 2020-2021 has depressed the price, is where the ship is scrapped (Alang is paying nearly twice what Turkey is right now, more like $200-400/ton), and whether the ship or owner are liable for scrapping according to certain environmental requirements (principally the EU).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

it would only be a guess, but ncl just made a big deal about spending 100,000,000 (that's correct) one hundred million, to reburbish the spirit.  doubt theyt'd want to scrap her now

And I'm hoping this will keep my favorite ship safe.  I think the little Spirit has a rather large fan base.

• Like 2

I agree that the Sky would probably be the first to go. Also the ship that made the run to Fanning Island was the Wind - I belive that she was once the Windward and was expanded by adding a seciton to her middle. She plied the Alaskan waters in the summer and Hawaii in the winter. This was back in 2002. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, timf2001 said:

The ship most at risk of being scrapped is Norwegian Sky, as its sister ship from Costa is already headed to the scrapper.

5 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I agree that the Sky would probably be the first to go. Also the ship that made the run to Fanning Island was the Wind - I belive that she was once the Windward and was expanded by adding a seciton to her middle. She plied the Alaskan waters in the summer and Hawaii in the winter. This was back in 2002. 

The Sun is sister to both the Sky and the Costa Victoria.  The Sky also made the run to Fanning Island about 6-8 times near the end of her time as Pride of Aloha.  As a US flag ship, she did not need to visit a foreign port, but there were a number of contractually guaranteed port calls at Fanning with the government of Kiribati, so the Aloha was set up to make the runs.

The Norwegian Wind (now Superstar Aquarius) sailed Hawaii and Alaska as you say right up until 2004 when the Sky/Aloha took over.  The Star also did the Hawaii run from 2001-2004.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Oh please do not talk of scrapping the Spirit. She’s one of my favorite ships! 

I hope no more ships end up at the scrappers, but if they don't start sailing again the NCL Encore, Carnival's new Mardi Gras, and Virgins Scarlet lady and all other ships that cannot find employment  will be melted down into razor blades.

That is the reality the cruise industry faces if they do not start earning revenue and borrowing opportunities get more difficult.  I know they are good to keep up operations for while yet and that will hopefully tide them over until a combination of the vaccine, testing, and safety protocols, and all the other items needed to resume operations are a success.  I fell in love with cruising in 2015 and no other vacations interest me nearly as much.

I pray for and end to the pandemic, and a resumption of normal activity.

• Like 1

The Sky is a highly profitable ship for them, I know it's the oldest next to the Spirit, but I'd be surprised. I'd bet the Star would be the one to go given it's had tons of problems over the years. But who knows. 

• Like 1