Quarantine Now Required for All Arriving In the US After International Travel, Beginning January 26, 2021

1985rz1

56 minutes ago, clo said:
1960s

But hints of modern cruising began to emerge as early as the 1960s, when new passenger jets dramatically reduced transoceanic travel times, changing what took days of sailing to just hours of flying.

How the Cruise Industry Has Evolved in 50 Years | TravelAge ...

It's a relatively new industry. It has changed and will continue. And I suspect the COVID is going to turn some people away from it forever. And some people who have never cruised WILL never cruise. There's been a lot of talk here recently that most lines can't make it through 2021 and now there's talk about 2022. Before there was cruising there was, and continues to be rail travel. Especially outside the US it can be quite glamorous. And maybe people who used to cruise will turn to AI. Lots of options

We are retired. We have health issues. We are vaccinated. We love to cruise. None of your suggestions, including rail travel suit our needs. BTW...we are the bulk of luxury cruise passengers. 
Frankly, I still do not understand your alternative to cruising....do you mean take a train somewhere?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We are retired. We have health issues. We are vaccinated. We love to cruise. None of your suggestions, including rail travel suit our needs. BTW...we are the bulk of luxury cruise passengers. 
Frankly, I still do not understand your alternative to cruising....do you mean take a train somewhere?

If you do luxury travel I'm surprised you haven't heard of Belmond. Luxury indeed.

https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/venice-simplon-orient-express/search-results

And others.

24 minutes ago, clo said:

If you do luxury travel I'm surprised you haven't heard of Belmond. Luxury indeed.

https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/venice-simplon-orient-express/search-results

And others.

Certainly have.. Did this several years ago... it doesn’t replace cruising. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

it doesn’t replace cruising.

Perhaps not but I'm betting that some cruise lines will go out of business and others reduce their fleet. And millenials are about to pass boomers in population and that's a big question. They don't generally like what we like.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Perhaps not but I'm betting that some cruise lines will go out of business and others reduce their fleet. And millenials are about to pass boomers in population and that's a big question. They don't generally like what we like.

Love your positive attitude regarding cruising....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Love your positive attitude regarding cruising....

We have corporate backgrounds and won't ignore the fact that when a company is losing billions upon billions of dollars over a few years, there are likely to be consequences. And cruising is only one way we travel. We're still pretty adventuresome.

3 hours ago, clo said:

We have corporate backgrounds and won't ignore the fact that when a company is losing billions upon billions of dollars over a few years, there are likely to be consequences. And cruising is only one way we travel. We're still pretty adventuresome.

Lucky you.... we will stick with luxury cruising..Oceania and Regent are our favorites.  
We have traveled extensively around the world. Before the last five years, we drove all over Europe, Asia and South America. One trip took us completely across Canada by car. So, we have seen and accomplished our bucket list. Visited all seven continents by car, bus, train and ship. 
So.... we hope we can spend our remaining active days relaxing on luxury ships. That’s our goal and we are optimists that the cruise industry will survive. 
Let’s remember that it is us retired folks with the time and money to travel. 

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Let’s remember that it is us retired folks with the time and money to travel. 

LOL I think you might not realize how many people can now WFH (work from home). And you seem to use "luxury" a fair amount and Oceania, who we love, isn't categorized as "luxury"

12 minutes ago, clo said:

LOL I think you might not realize how many people can now WFH (work from home). And you seem to use "luxury" a fair amount and Oceania, who we love, isn't categorized as "luxury"

I am sorry if I confused you. I would not want to offend any Oceania cruisers since I have just begun to write in this site, having just booked two Oceania cruises. Last sailed on Oceania in 2007. We have spent more than 150 nights on Regent. Five were canceled this year and five future ones already booked, in addition to the two on Oceania. I usually write on the Regent CC  site. 
We are now in our eighties and have settled into a life of “luxury cruising”. Hope all our “luxury” cruises really sail with us onboard .....

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We are now in our eighties and have settled into a life of “luxury cruising”. Hope all our “luxury” cruises really sail with us onboard .....

Best of luck. At least you know you have options if cruising doesn't work out.