Favourite NCL ship and why?

donnakidston

100% the Gem... specifically post 2015 refurb. NCL did an amazing job turning the manic-colored, insane furniture and fake flower packed public spaces into something much more current, on a smaller, more charming ship. The transformation of the Bliss lounge from Southeast Asian opium den/bowling alley into a functional nightclub space deserves multiple awards.  

Also, it’s the only ship that consistently does unique, longer itineraries from NY, which we 💜

For the larger ships, the Encore is our favorite.  We enjoyed the thermal suite at the spa, the restaurant selection and the entertainment.  It is just a beautiful ship overall.  For smaller ships, we love the Jewel.  You can't beat the forward facing Spinnaker's Lounge or the aft Great Outdoors.  There is nothing better than having lunch sitting out and watching the wake and the world go by!  

For me, it would be Jade.  Loved the size (not too big not too small) and always took advantage of walking around the promenade deck for daily exercise during good weather.  I didn't really care for the Sun or the Spirit as I found them too small and limiting.  Having said that, I was on the Spirit prior to the refurb and I want to try it again in it's new form.  I like the idea of the ship's focus being on adults rather than families.  

I have no interest in cruising on anything larger than the Jewel class ships.  No way I'm going on a cruise where you need to have a reservation to get into a show.

• Like 1

My favorite ship is the Sun.  I loved being in a forward cabin and being able to go down a few flights of stairs and grab drinks at the atrium bar.  We have sailed a couple amazing itineraries on the Sun so the Sun holds very fond memories for us.  

Our #1 was the Blue Lady -- S/S Norway.  A wonderful look back at the past.  Nothing else like her.

#2 - NCL Spirit - small--intimate--unique

#3 - NCL Gem - Spinnaker Lounge, Bridge Viewing Room--overall ship layout.

Sorry, don't care for the new "megaships".  Once was enough (Breakaway).

On 1/24/2021 at 6:44 PM, Farts said:

I don't love the haven exp since I like the chaos and party atmosphere. 

You should see the Royal Caribbean diamonds during their three drink nightly happy hour. It transforms the Viking Crown Lounge into the Hunger Games arena. 

I"ve been on the big and smaller NCL ships and thought we most enjoyed the Jewel class until we boarded the Spirit- and this was right before its 2020 refurbishment! 

We had just come off the MSC Grandiosa with its 6,000 passengers, all moving about in their own little groups, ignoring other passengers. The brand new Grandiosa totally miscalculated the public space with some areas being extremely overcrowded while others sat empty.

The Spirit was lovely, very manageable and friendly.  I would love to go back onboard!

12 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Assuming you haven’t had to call or interact with NCL guest services during the pandemic? 😉

Sounds ominous! Personally, have had good support from the NCL personnel with whom we have interfaced such as certificate expiry date extensions but have read of folks being somewhat dissatisfied. Looking forward to turning the corner on the pandemic and getting back on-board. Stay well!

The origianal Regal Princess.

The reason - it was our first and, at the time, thought to be our last as we did not know if we would ever be able to afford another one.

Well, now that we have been on 16 cruises, that was not the case.

The cruise itself was to Alaska and I can remember more events from that cruise than any other.