Next Announcement of Cancellations?

PasadenaDave

14 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We are also disappointed with the Sun departing the fleet, as we spent an exceptional 3+ months on here last year. She is also crewed by many of the Officers we got to know very well. However, once the ship is reflagged to China, they will return to the Viking ships.

While they probably won't realise significant capital from the sale of the ship to the JV, it should remove the financing costs from Viking's books. China coastal cruises may be able to commence quickly, so the JV may be able to contribute some profits back to Viking, to help reduce the cash drain during cessation of operations.

For sure that will help.  I think Viking is doing every thing they can do.  The Virus is not their fault... but I saw some great banks and developers go down during that last recession.  Stockholders in many cases were left with a whole in their pocket.( did get a tax deduction)  Remember the phrase..." too big to fail." Smaller banks were taken over by the FDIC and sold for 10% of value and the  developed lots  that they had on the books at auction.... Not sure many people will think about saving Cruising today.  

Been blessed to be on many adventures over the years  by ocean and river cruises. We have four cruises scheduled...one river and three ocean on Viking.  An MD in the family  with research and we are feeling good about future cruises. Happy to wear a mask and have the vaccine for cruises.  

I am booked on a September 2021 Viking cruise from Norway to Montreal, however, with Canada closing its port for the balance of this year, what are the chances Viking won't cancel this cruise. It is scheduled to call on four or five ports in Canada. I just had an Hawaiian cruise on Pride of America cancel. 😪

9 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

drip drip drip... getting closer to my August date.

Here is a question.  Has any really spent the 125% credit?  Yes I get it that you have been given that credit and they have kept your money... and you got an upgrade for some thing on a future cruse..but has any one spent one single dime of it... or the money you have given Viking?

I started thinking about Ponzi schemes.  Not saying that is what is going on but since the shutdown  no one can spend that 125% that I can figure out.  Could the new reservations coming in be  paying off the people  that don't do the 125%?  At what point will the people getting paid off be higher than the people that are making new reservations?   I totally feel sorry for the cruise industry.  They may have to write this year off also.

We've used the two 125% vouchers we've received thus far for trips in 2022 and 2023. In each case we've been able to upgrade ourselves in various ways - cabin class, aircraft class, etc. Our July trip may get cancelled too but we are feeling very  confident about the ones we've booked with our FCVs. 

4 hours ago, Thom71 said:

Is the British Isle trip cancelled in September?

I don't think there ever was a British Isle trip in Sepember 2021. It's always been just June, July, Aug. Next year - with the addition of Viking Mars to the fleet, it will be Mar, Apr, and Jun to Sept. https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/british-isles-explorer/pricing.html

Suggest looking at my spreadsheet (mentioned in an earlier post) in which I have carefully tracked what cruises have been canceled after each time the operations suspension is extended.  

Edited by CharTrav

8 hours ago, CharTrav said:

I don't think there ever was a British Isle trip in Sepember 2021. It's always been just June, July, Aug. Next year - with the addition of Viking Mars to the fleet, it will be Mar, Apr, and Jun to Sept. https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/british-isles-explorer/pricing.html

Suggest looking at my spreadsheet (mentioned in an earlier post) in which I have carefully tracked what cruises have been canceled after each time the operations suspension is extended.  

The September cruise was removed from their web site...........we were going to book it with some friends and he emailed me this  morning saying Viking cancelled it because of the ship being sold to China.
They got offered the 125% or full refund.

27 minutes ago, Thom71 said:

The September cruise was removed from their web site...........we were going to book it with some friends and he emailed me this  morning saying Viking cancelled it because of the ship being sold to China.
They got offered the 125% or full refund.

Right. When I wrote last night I didn't have my spreadsheet in front of me. Was working from memory. Kept wondering if perhaps the Sun had been scheduled then. My apologies.

Edited by CharTrav

10 hours ago, CharTrav said:

I don't think there ever was a British Isle trip in Sepember 2021. It's always been just June, July, Aug. Next year - with the addition of Viking Mars to the fleet, it will be Mar, Apr, and Jun to Sept.

Actually, March and April trips were planned for this year on the Venus. I’m 100% sure of March as I was supposed to be on it.

22 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Actually, March and April trips were planned for this year on the Venus. I’m 100% sure of March as I was supposed to be on it.

As I said earlier, when I wrote that note last night I wasn't looking at my spreadsheet which maintains a record of which cruises were cancelled when. ☺️

In fact, I just finished scrubbing the spreadsheet to make sure that record is correct and complete. It's posted in my Dropbox. Link is provided in my signature box. 

Edited by CharTrav

10 hours ago, CharTrav said:

We've used the two 125% vouchers we've received thus far for trips in 2022 and 2023. In each case we've been able to upgrade ourselves in various ways - cabin class, aircraft class, etc. Our July trip may get cancelled too but we are feeling very  confident about the ones we've booked with our FCVs. 

I love Viking and I hope they make it.  I told my SIL last night I think our Aug trip is at best 50 50.  What will I do if it is cancelled?  Will wait and see.  I just don't know if a 25% voucher for a trip that may not happen again is worth it for me. Also my SIL said that he is not sure that he can get the time off over a year in advance....And to have Viking hold on to my money another year?.....  Every one is different and the risk might be OK for you.

But will use the example of the Antarctic trip that we have scheduled.  To  say again.  I know the rules of the payment and followed the rules... but will any kind of a voucher help me if it cancelled?

Oct 22, 2019 we made reservations on Octantis for a Feb 2022 trip.  Also did a pre trip.  Paid deposit.  They had a great deal going that we got the drink package and a reduced air package.  But it is an expensive trip.  I paid for the trip in September 2020.  So Viking has held on to my money all of that time.  Like I said I know the rules and did the rules.

So what happens if this trip is cancelled.Viking has held onto my money for a year and a half.  If I reschedule will I get  the drink package ( don't drink that much any way)... will I get the reduced airfare?

Will I pay the same price that I did in 2019?  No doubt the price on the trip will have gone up.  So if I reschedule this trip I would use the voucher to pay for the increase price and they will hold onto my money another year.  Don't know if I want to buy into another year of not known if cruising will start again.

Viking and all cruise lines are caught in a bad place and are doing their best to survive.  I do think the 25% voucher deal has helped Viking but in my case in the Antarctic trip the only thing it might help is to cover the increase cost.  Not much benefit for me have them hold on to my money since 2020.

Everyone is different but I do know I could do a great condo in Maui with my kids and Grandson and not worry about cruising until the world gets back to normal.... if ever....

Porcupine - when you apply the 125% to a future booking and there is money left over, the first thing Viking does is refund your deposit to the source it was paid from. The balance can be used for any pre-embarkation expenses including extensions, optional excursions, tips, and the drink package (something of no interest to us too).

21 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

So what happens if this trip is cancelled.Viking has held onto my money for a year and a half.  If I reschedule will I get  the drink package ( don't drink that much any way)... will I get the reduced airfare?

You will get a voucher equal to 125% of everything you paid Viking  including TripMate insurance. drink packages, etc. All monies paid. Does that help?

15 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Porcupine - when you apply the 125% to a future booking and there is money left over, the first thing Viking does is refund your deposit to the source it was paid from. The balance can be used for any pre-embarkation expenses including extensions, optional excursions, tips, and the drink package (something of no interest to us too).

My experience is that the 125% voucher can be used for everything up til when you board the ship. 

16 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

You will get a voucher equal to 125% of everything you paid Viking  including TripMate insurance. drink packages, etc. All monies paid. Does that help?

I didn't pay for the drink package.... It was "free" because we signed up early.  Yes will get the money back for the air fare but it was a reduced price.  Yes all money would be refunded, but the price of the trip has gone up from when I bought it!

10 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I didn't pay for the drink package.... It was "free" because we signed up early.  Yes will get the money back for the air fare but it was a reduced price.  Yes all money would be refunded, but the price of the trip has gone up from when I bought it!

So doesn't the 125% address/compensate for the fare increase? I admit it - I operate from the glass half full. 

6 minutes ago, JerryInIL said:

Viking Sun is no longer on the website.  Are all Viking Sun cruises through 2023 cancelled?

Viking Sun was transferred out of the Viking fleet today as part of a joint venture with a Chinese company. She will serve as the lead ship for this new cruise line targeted at the Chinese market and will fly under a Chinese flag. She is being refitted and reliveried right now. So - yes - even tho for now the Viking web site still lists Viking Sun as part of the VO fleet, I don't think that will remain so. 

24 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

So doesn't the 125% address/compensate for the fare increase? I admit it - I operate from the glass half full. 

In my case, it was a lot cheaper because air is now free for the itinerary I picked. Prices are al over the place.

29 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Viking Sun was transferred out of the Viking fleet today as part of a joint venture with a Chinese company. She will serve as the lead ship for this new cruise line targeted at the Chinese market and will fly under a Chinese flag. She is being refitted and reliveried right now. So - yes - even tho for now the Viking web site still lists Viking Sun as part of the VO fleet, I don't think that will remain so. 

This makes me so sad!  We spent 4 1/2 very happy months on her in 2019.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JerryInIL said:

So I could have booked and paid for a 2022 cruise on the Sun a week ago, and it would be cancelled already?

Would have been impossible to do given that her schedule on the VO site stopped Sept 2021 and everything on the Sun starting this Summer was shown as sold out.  

19 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

This makes me so sad!  We spent 4 1/2 very happy months on her in 2019.

You're not the only one who is sad to see her go. It looks like Neptune will take over as the World Cruise ship. Star is taking on that role temporarily filling in that role for the 2021/22 WC. It looks like that one won't be segmented either; it's totally sold out.