Next Announcement of Cancellations?

PasadenaDave

8 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

You're not the only one who is sad to see her go. It looks like Neptune will take over as the World Cruise ship. Star is taking on that role temporarily filling in that role for the 2021/22 WC. It looks like that one won't be segmented either; it's totally sold out. 

Actually, it has at least one segment and we are on it, FLL to LA, the holiday Panama Canal cruise.  I hope it goes.  Don’t know about the 2021-22 WC though...?

5 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Actually, March and April trips were planned for this year on the Venus. I’m 100% sure of March as I was supposed to be on it.

We  were scheduled for British Isles on the Sun Aug 22 -  Sept 5 2021, on the Viking Sun which has been cancelled. 

Edited by knoxclone

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Actually, it has at least one segment and we are on it, FLL to LA, the holiday Panama Canal cruise.  I hope it goes.  Don’t know about the 2021-22 WC though...?

Yes I know that. But that's the only one which they create standard for every world cruise. Both it and the 2021/22 WC are sold out. 

Clearly I spend way too much time studying and pondering Viking's cruise schedules! 😃

Edited by CharTrav

1 hour ago, knoxclone said:

We  were scheduled for British Isles on the Sun Aug 22 -  Sept 5 2021, on the Viking Sun which has been cancelled. 

Yup. Venus was scheduled to do British Isles starting in Mar thru Aug (looking at my spreadsheet now - what I wasn't doing last night) with Sun doing Aug & Sept. I don't see any ship picking up for Sun's Aug & Sept sailing. Next year - 2022 - Mars will be doing those two months overlapping Venus (scheduled for Apr to Aug). Of course even that is dependent on whether Mars is built and launched in time. Cross your fingers! 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Homerody said:

Has anyone impacted by this round of cancellations received email notification from either Viking or TA about cancellation of cruises?

Received our official cancellation email yesterday, Fe. 17th,  for our April Trade Routes of the Middle Ages. They offered another 125% rebook but we rebooked last April and don’t want Viking to keep our money another year. We’re “jumping ship” this time. Europe’s health is just too iffy. I applaud Viking for installing testing onboard, considering requiring vaccinations, etc. But, seriously, who wants to take a vacation under those conditions? We’re just not ready to commit again. We’ve traveled extensively, some with Viking,  and can just wait until we’re comfortable.

Looking forward to more travel in the future!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pineapple1176 said:

Received our official cancellation email yesterday, Fe. 17th,  for our April Trade Routes of the Middle Ages. They offered another 125% rebook but we rebooked last April and don’t want Viking to keep our money another year. We’re “jumping ship” this time. Europe’s health is just too iffy. I applaud Viking for installing testing onboard, considering requiring vaccinations, etc. But, seriously, who wants to take a vacation under those conditions? We’re just not ready to commit again. We’ve traveled extensively, some with Viking,  and can just wait until we’re comfortable.

Looking forward to more travel in the future!

Sorry you got cancelled again. We may find ourselves in that position again for our July midnight sun. Who knows even if we finally get vaccinated whether the UK, Norway, or Iceland will be open to visitors? We're ok with Viking holding onto our money. Ten years ago when both our kids were in college we might not have been so willing to do so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Sorry you got cancelled again. We may find ourselves in that position again for our July midnight sun. Who knows even if we finally get vaccinated whether the UK, Norway, or Iceland will be open to visitors? We're ok with Viking holding onto our money. Ten years ago when both our kids were in college we might not have been so willing to do so.

The vaccination thing is going to be an interesting problem for cruising.  Will it make any difference to the countries that folks are going to travel to?

We went to Hawaii in January and had to have a test 72 hours before boarding the plane... even though we  had our shots. ( I have had mine since August).  I see now they are starting Digital Vaccine Passport so you don't have to be tested.  https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/hawaii-covid-vaccine-passport-program  

Is that some thing that could happen to speed up cruising getting started again?  Many things could happen within the next month or two.  One of the problems is some countries have already canceled 2021 cruising.  Can they change their minds.... ?  Maybe but doubt it.

45 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

We went to Hawaii in January and had to have a test 72 hours before boarding the plane... even though we  had our shots. ( I have had mine since August).

Huh? Since August? How? They weren't approved here in the US until Dec. 😲

19 minutes ago, Homerody said:

Part of clinical testing group - perhaps???

Yes.  I got in the Pfizer vaccine test group in August.  I got unblinded in January.  I go in for blood test every 3 months and have to fill out a diary every day.  $5.00 a week for the next 2 year that is added to a debit card and $200.00 in CASH every time I go in for shots or test. ( go in again next week)  The friends that I went with to Maui were in the Moderna test group.  They also were unblinded in Jan.  One had the real shots and the other had a placebo.  The one that had the placebo works in a hospital so was able to get her 1st shot before we left.

The reason they unblinded the test groups was because many age groups and medical people were starting to be able to get the vaccine.  The test groups were not wanting to get revaccinated with the real shots if they already had it and the ones with the placebo wanted the real one.  They kind of had to unblinded the groups

Edited by Porcupine 52
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Star is taking on that role temporarily filling in that role for the 2021/22 WC. It looks like that one won't be segmented either; it's totally sold out. 

But when they say totally sold out, do you think they're talking about 900+ occupancy, or a smaller figure - to enable even better social distancing?  In which case, IF the pandemic is controlled worldwide towards sailing date (which I doubt) then further places (or segments) may become available.

26 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

But when they say totally sold out, do you think they're talking about 900+ occupancy, or a smaller figure - to enable even better social distancing?  In which case, IF the pandemic is controlled worldwide towards sailing date (which I doubt) then further places (or segments) may become available.

You got me there! I have no idea. 😉

Edited by CharTrav

17 hours ago, pineapple1176 said:

Received our official cancellation email yesterday, Fe. 17th,  for our April Trade Routes of the Middle Ages.

Haven't been following too much cancellation info - but starting to sound like March-April (and possibly beyond? ...into summer even?) is being canceled. 

21 hours ago, knoxclone said:

Guess you just answered my question from my previous post. Awaiting some sort of news on the alleged rebooking of the Venus chairman's cruise, which would have been last month. Sorry to hear about the Sun. We saw her in port (I think Boston?) while on a Canada /NE cruise in fall '19 on the Summit. Sun was there as part of the WC itinerary. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Haven't been following too much cancellation info - but starting to sound like March-April (and possibly beyond? ...into summer even?) is being canceled. 

The announcement was made last Wednesday that March and April are cancelled. https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

I've updated and posted my consolidated schedule spreadsheet. Link to it appears earlier in this thread and in my signature box. 

Edited by CharTrav

9 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

The test groups were not wanting to get revaccinated with the real shots if they already had it and the ones with the placebo wanted the real one.  They kind of had to unblinded the groups

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation!