Holland America vs Cunard

glutenhab

Compared to HAL, Queen Victoria several years ago was quite pleasant.  The veranda stateroom was about the same size as HAL's, food was on a par if not a bit above Hal.

Service everywhere on-board was excellent.  Didn't find Queen V stuffy, except for evenings when formal attire was required if you wanted togo anywhere on the ship except for dinner in the buffet.  

Would we go again on Cunard?  Yes, with the right itinerary.

The Queen ELizabeth and The Queen Victoria are based on the same hardware platform as the Ost/West/Nor and Zuiderdam so there are plenty of similarities although internal layouts are different- cabins are essentially the same. The atmosphere on Cunard is more formal with formal dress required on several evenings during the cruise although this is more relaxed than it used to be.

The Queens offer ‘Grill’ class which is enhanced single seating dining in the Grills restaurants which are exclusive to passengers occupying the highest grade cabins/suites. Some people do not like this as they say it smacks of the old class system.

The Queen Mary 2 is different as she is primarily a transatlantic liner rather than a cruise ship. She is more a ‘travel’  experience rather than a ‘cruise’ experience and is more formal.

Having cruised several times with both lines, my personal preference would be for Cunard - I think the food is better. (It was a bit of a surprise  to be  offered meatloaf and jerk chicken as a main course in the HAL restaurant! )

Both lines decorate their ships beautifully and crew on both are top notch although you might find more European crew on Cunard. Both companies offer world wide itineraries,

In summary you won’t be sorry which ever you choose, although with the present problems for the Carnival Group caused by the pandemic/ you might even find the 2 companies merged or sold the next few months!

I hope you enjoy whichever line you choose!

Not experienced on my one Caribbean cruise on Queen Mary 2, but Cunard has a more nightly formal dress reputation each night than what HAL has.  Such may have changed, however.  

A difference in the number of selections on the dinner menu in the Britannia Restaurant was noticeable as compared to even the most recent dinner menus aboard a HAL vessel.  

Bear in mind when considering the last posters comments that HAL world cruises have been carried out on the Amsterdam and will be on the Zaandam (if she survives in the fleet).

These are much smaller ships than the 3 Queens so not sur ione is comparing apples with apples!

35 minutes ago, denatravels said:

I’ve done several on both— HAL is my go-to for long and interesting itineraries. Food and service is better. I do Cunard because it’s the only way I can do a transatlantic and be back to teach after Labor Day. 

Which of the Queens have you been on?  It appears that there is a difference between at least the QM and the other two.  We have been on the QM transatlantic.  While we enjoyed it, I would be more interested in the QE or QV for long cruises - at least I think I would based on what others have been saying.

I think there have been some recent threads on this.  Cunard ships are beautiful, similar to HAL ships as mentioned.   Wonderful libraries,  great high tea and an excellent buffet.  More formal, men must always wear a a jacket in the evenings at dinner and around the ship. 

We found the food in the MDR paled in comparison to HAL,  we think it was because of a lower budget due to the separate dining rooms for the grills.  We did not like the class system of closed decks and dining rooms and prefer HAL’S more egalitarian approach no matter what stateroom you sail in.  

We would make the decision based on itineraries and cost.  We often have found that Cunard visits fewer ports on a longer cruise than HAL. 

The buffet on QM2 was not as efficient as on HAL. No real alternative restaurants on QM2. But daily afternoon tea on QM2 was delightful - usually with music, sometimes with a  dance band. Entertainment lectures on QM2 are very interesting. 

Lincoln Center Stage on HAL is great if you like classical music.

12 hours ago, Mickb said:

Bear in mind when considering the last posters comments that HAL world cruises have been carried out on the Amsterdam and will be on the Zaandam (if she survives in the fleet).

The Amsterdam, Rotterdam VI, Volendam, and Zaandam are all in the same Class of HAL ships.  Externally in appearance, they differ because of the funnels.  Their internals are much the same.  Guest capacity has differed.  But, the difference is insignificant, in my opinion.  

I have sailed on all of them on long cruises with the longest being on Amsterdam followed by Volendam.  The cruise experience because of size of the ship or numbers of guests were the same.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Which of the Queens have you been on?  It appears that there is a difference between at least the QM and the other two.  We have been on the QM transatlantic.  While we enjoyed it, I would be more interested in the QE or QV for long cruises - at least I think I would based on what others have been saying.

Interesting thought. Yes, only QM2 twice. In addition to the food being less appealing, I’m not at all fond of set dining. 

Edited by denatravels

23 hours ago, oofroggie said:

I have been on the Queen Victoria for the world cruise and the Queen Mary for the transatlantic and I was not comparing ships but everything else.

Having been on the QM for a transatlantic and being less than impressed with the food, I would like to hear a comparison between the QM and the QV, please.  

On 1/30/2021 at 9:47 AM, oofroggie said:

I have been on the Queen Victoria for the world cruise and the Queen Mary for the transatlantic and I was not comparing ships but everything else.

Hi ofg,

My wife and I also did the world cruise on the Queen Victoria and the crossing on the QM2 -- what year did you do your WC?  

Here is my take on HAL vs Cunard (4 Cunard cruises for 109 days and 12 HAL cruises for 103 days)

I always refer to Cunard as "HAL on steroids" because they are very similar, but Cunard takes things to the extreme:

HAL -- warm, efficient Asian service

-- good food, but safe menus

-- mix of traditional and exotic itineraries

-- new ships coming online

-- some of the best deals in cruising

-- lame Mariner benefits and slime perks

-- good buffet food, but poor design of serving areas

-- nice wrap-around promenade decks

-- basic entertainment, but excellent live music venues

-- Dutch officers

Cunard

-- two Vista class ships + the best Ocean liner in the world

-- old school formal and Ballroom dancing

-- good service and international staff

-- some excellent cuisine, but it does lean towards British tastes

-- Vista class has a sound buffet, but the QM2 has the worst buffet of any ship

-- world wide itineraries

-- great lecture series and a Planetarium onboard the QM2

-- Great wrap-around promenade decks (QM2 is the best)

-- QM2 is fast (32 knots if needed) we did NYC to the Caribbean in two days

-- perks are basic, but they usually offer OBC + free gratuities

-- some deals, but expensive overall;  Queen's Grill off the charts

-- British officers

Enjoy!

Kel

• Like 2

In addition to Ken’s comments here are a few things I found of better offerings onboard Cunards QM2 World Cruise:

Up to date movies each evening in the large theater 

Rooms have tea, coffee and cookies

Flat screen TV

Immediate fixing of any problems in the stateroom ex: hubby scratched his arm on a protruding closet handle, bleeding on the carpet, blood on his clothing. The attendance changed ALL of the handles in the room, offered to launder his shirt, naturally cleaned the carpet. Took a medical report.  Excellent service.

Great experience with mostly British guest.

HALs dress code is simply more comfortable. We are four star mariners. Frankly while HAL has been a favorite, I’ve found many other cruise  lines comparable if not better. 

However I’ll not complain, since bring stuck at home for a year, let’s go cruising!

I do love the international mix of Cunard.  About half the mix is from the UK, but plenty of Germans, Dutch, and other Europeans.  On our World Cruise (Queen Victoria) we had a bunch of Aussies and they are always a fun group.  Maybe 20% US/Canadian, and I like that.  Never been on an extended HAL cruise, so I don't know the demographics.

Enjoy!

Kel😃