Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

57 minutes ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Ohhh so that is true!! I was on the Sky last week and JoJo, the Viking Future Cruise Agent, said that Viking cancelled the Easter Island Pre-trip as well as the Parana Delta. Huh...I wonder why???🤷🏼‍♀️

who knows!  It may have something to do with some issues with the Chilean govt or something else.  I never understood why Viking's plans to expand into Galapagos Islands by leasing (and re-liverying) the SantaCruz II fell through.  But it did. What we got out of it was a very nice voucher that we used (are using cuz we haven't booked our excursions yet..) to do Australia/New Zealand this January with extensions before and after. 

10 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Ohhh so that is true!! I was on the Sky last week and JoJo, the Viking Future Cruise Agent, said that Viking cancelled the Easter Island Pre-trip as well as the Parana Delta. Huh...I wonder why???🤷🏼‍♀️

I wonder if the Patagonia trips are still a go?  Or the Atacama desert?  I can understand them canceling Easter Island since it just recently reopened but why the Paraná Delta?

13 hours ago, CharTrav said:

who knows!  It may have something to do with some issues with the Chilean govt or something else.  I never understood why Viking's plans to expand into Galapagos Islands by leasing (and re-liverying) the SantaCruz II fell through.  But it did. What we got out of it was a very nice voucher that we used (are using cuz we haven't booked our excursions yet..) to do Australia/New Zealand this January with extensions before and after. 

Oh nice...That Australia/New Zealand is high on the list!!! Have fun and can't wait to hear the reviews.

4 hours ago, Australia08 said:

I wonder if the Patagonia trips are still a go?  Or the Atacama desert?  I can understand them canceling Easter Island since it just recently reopened but why the Paraná Delta?

Funny thing though, all of the pre and post extensions are ALL still listed. Some show availability and some show sold out. 🤷🏼‍♀️

We're now going to fly in 2 days early and tour Buenos Aires on our own.

On 9/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Funny thing though, all of the pre and post extensions are ALL still listed. Some show availability and some show sold out. 🤷🏼‍♀️

We're now going to fly in 2 days early and tour Buenos Aires on our own.

Because we were flying into Santiago we still are. Will tour there for a few days, then head over to Buenos Aires a few days early.   Shouldn’t be too hard to tour on our own for a few days. Just sad we’ll have to Easter Island another time. 

My wife and I are sailing on the 22 Oct Antarctic Explorer (Polaris).  I have been trying to stay ahead of all the requirements to go and was just looking at the Additional Country-Specific Travel Requirements page (again).  It seems to have changed.  When I printed a copy of this page a month ago there was a requirement for Argentina (a website with a form to be completed a few days prior to arriving in BA).  I pulled the requirements a few minutes ago and the Argentina requirement is gone.  Does anyone have any further info?  Not complaining but do not want to overlook anything.  Travel the past couple of years has beem interesting to say the least.

2 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Can anyone who is going to the Antarctic soon kindly take a screen shot of excursions offered and post them? Shore excursion booking doesn't open until November 10th for my sailing and I'd love to see what's available. Thanks! 😃

Viking's Antarctica expeditions do not have typical shore excursions that are planned in advance. The schedule is very flexible depending on weather and other ships positions. They wish to give us the illusion that we are all alone on Antarctica. I am pasting a post from another site. I have left out the poster's name because I am uncertain whether she would want her name listed here.

"I can only speak for our February 26 sailing, but this is how it was for us.

"First, keep in mind that on your expedition cruise to Antarctica, there are not typical shore excursions as you have probably experienced on ocean and river cruises. That's because there is no planned itinerary and no ports. Where your ship goes will be dependent on the weather and sea conditions. During the first season, we were all put into groups (my husband and I were the Fin Whales). Each evening the schedule for the next day's landings was published in the Viking Daily (a newsletter that will be delivered to your stateroom each evening), with each group given its own landing time. The landings took place throughout the day. And the landing times for each group varied from day to day. Sometimes we went out in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon. It was all very well organized, and everyone went out on one landing each day (although our captain squeezed in a second landing on our last day in Antarctica!). Landings last about 1 1/2 hours so that everyone has the opportunity each day (Antarctica law allows just 100 on land at one time).

"The special activities (kayaks, Special Operations Boats, submersibles, lab tours, etc.) also took place throughout the day. During our sailing, reservations for these special activities opened up at 6 p.m. the night before, and reservations were first come, first served; they were not based on stateroom category. We could sign up using the television in our stateroom, in person at Guest Services on Deck 1, or using the Viking app on our phone (highly recommended!).

"In addition, there were also educational lectures and films scheduled in The Aula theater throughout the day that are open to all with no reservations needed.

"There were a couple of activities on our sailing (overnight camping trip with 10-12 people and a trial run of the submersible with about 6 people) that were by invitation only. I don't know how people were chosen for those, bit it was likely by stateroom category.

"Of course, things may be completely different this season. You'll have to let us know! "

21 hours ago, emileg said:

Viking's Antarctica expeditions do not have typical shore excursions that are planned in advance. The schedule is very flexible depending on weather and other ships positions. They wish to give us the illusion that we are all alone on Antarctica. I am pasting a post from another site. I have left out the poster's name because I am uncertain whether she would want her name listed here.

"I can only speak for our February 26 sailing, but this is how it was for us.

"First, keep in mind that on your expedition cruise to Antarctica, there are not typical shore excursions as you have probably experienced on ocean and river cruises. That's because there is no planned itinerary and no ports. Where your ship goes will be dependent on the weather and sea conditions. During the first season, we were all put into groups (my husband and I were the Fin Whales). Each evening the schedule for the next day's landings was published in the Viking Daily (a newsletter that will be delivered to your stateroom each evening), with each group given its own landing time. The landings took place throughout the day. And the landing times for each group varied from day to day. Sometimes we went out in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon. It was all very well organized, and everyone went out on one landing each day (although our captain squeezed in a second landing on our last day in Antarctica!). Landings last about 1 1/2 hours so that everyone has the opportunity each day (Antarctica law allows just 100 on land at one time).

"The special activities (kayaks, Special Operations Boats, submersibles, lab tours, etc.) also took place throughout the day. During our sailing, reservations for these special activities opened up at 6 p.m. the night before, and reservations were first come, first served; they were not based on stateroom category. We could sign up using the television in our stateroom, in person at Guest Services on Deck 1, or using the Viking app on our phone (highly recommended!).

"In addition, there were also educational lectures and films scheduled in The Aula theater throughout the day that are open to all with no reservations needed.

"There were a couple of activities on our sailing (overnight camping trip with 10-12 people and a trial run of the submersible with about 6 people) that were by invitation only. I don't know how people were chosen for those, bit it was likely by stateroom category.

"Of course, things may be completely different this season. You'll have to let us know! "

Oh wow! Great information! Thank you!! 😃

• Like 1

Viking accepted delivery of the Viking Polaris yesterday morning at the Vard shipyard in Soviknes. Shortly after completing the ceremony, she sailed for Amsterdam, departing around 13:30.

She is currently steaming south through the North Sea, almost due west of the Danish port Esbjerg. Her ETA Amsterdam is 04:00 (Z+2) tomorrow (Sept 29th), where she embarks pax for the Grand Voyage to Antarctica.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

We had a very vibrant thread here, up to 29 pages. Not sure why it has gone dark for almost two months. I understand there is another very active discussion taking place on other social media. Yet, I do believe there is still room for discussion on Cruise Critic, especially with the delivery of the Polaris and another Antarctic season under way.

One interesting itinerary includes not only Antarctica, but also the Falkland Islands and South Georgia Island. There are 17 nights on the Octantis. Dates are 29 October, 2023 and 31 January, 2024. We booked the latter date.

Edited by emileg

22 minutes ago, emileg said:

We had a very vibrant thread here, up to 29 pages. Not sure why it has gone dark for almost two months. I understand there is another very active discussion taking place on other social media. Yet, I do believe there is still room for discussion on Cruise Critic, especially with the delivery of the Polaris and another Antarctic season under way.

One interesting itinerary includes not only Antarctica, but also the Falkland Islands and South Georgia Island. There are 17 nights on the Octantis. Dates are 29 October, 2023 and 31 January, 2024. We booked the latter date.

Hi Emile,

That sounds like a wonderful cruise, at the perfect time of the year. I hope all will run smoothly for you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, emileg said:

I couldn't agree more about the room for discussion on CC regarding the Viking Cruises. In general, I have found the conversation here to be much more civil and less snarky than some I've seen elsewhere. Furthermore, CC has a nice mix of seasoned cruisers with good advice and those newer to the adventures in cruising, making for more interesting reading than posts about things that are easily discernable from the web. I'd love to see the conversation here picked up over the next few months as we will be going to Antarctica in 2024 and I'd love to "cruise along virtually" this year.

8 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Does anyone know if you ALWAYS wear the Viking provided boots when you leave the ship for every single expedition?

Trying to gauge if I need to bring hiking boots.

Everything I've read indicates that yes, you do.  Some people say to bring something you can wear out on deck in bad weather, and some people say they just wore normal shoes for that. I guess it all depends on the weather, but it seems you always wear the Viking boots off the ship.  Hopefully someone that's been will confirm for us.  

• Like 1

From what I have read, one of the main reasons you use their boots is that yours have been other places and they do not want to introduce any foreign things into Antarctica that you have on those boots. Also you have water landings and their boots are designed for that. I am not someone who likes to walk around in my hiking boots unless on a hike so I have been wondering if I really need them on the ship or if other shoes will do. Would appreciate someone answering that question also

• Like 1

Perhaps this has been addressed but with 29 pages things are hard to find -- Since this an expedition cruise are you expected to bring other clothes for dinner?  I am planning to bring 3 layers for top and bottom and would like to be able to use some of those clothes for dinner -- double duty -- is this allowed? Or do I need to bring a nicer top and additional slacks for dinner? Are leggings with a tunic top allowed? There is a lot of extra clothing for this cruise and I am trying to do all carry on. This past summer our checked bag with all our cold weather items for Norway were delayed 12 days. 

One more question for the boat -- what types of shoes are needed for the boat -- not the excursions -- would running shoes be ok? Do you need heavier duty ones?

Sorry -- another question -- are regular sunglasses ok or do you need glacier ones ?

Thank you to all who have gone before and help us.

On 11/24/2022 at 1:09 AM, emileg said:

Not sure why it has gone dark for almost two months.

Perhaps Expeditions needs a separate category of its own. It's under Viking Ocean, but we're booked on a Viking Exhibition and we're not travelling on any ocean, just across the Great Lakes, so I didn't think of looking in an Ocean category.

7 hours ago, flare3192 said:

Perhaps this has been addressed but with 29 pages things are hard to find -- Since this an expedition cruise are you expected to bring other clothes for dinner?  I am planning to bring 3 layers for top and bottom and would like to be able to use some of those clothes for dinner -- double duty -- is this allowed? Or do I need to bring a nicer top and additional slacks for dinner? Are leggings with a tunic top allowed? There is a lot of extra clothing for this cruise and I am trying to do all carry on. This past summer our checked bag with all our cold weather items for Norway were delayed 12 days. 

One more question for the boat -- what types of shoes are needed for the boat -- not the excursions -- would running shoes be ok? Do you need heavier duty ones?

Sorry -- another question -- are regular sunglasses ok or do you need glacier ones ?

We haven't been yet, are leaving Tuesday, but from everything I've read, running shoes should be fine for most of the ship.  Unless you have reservations at Manfredi's or The Restaurant, you'll be taking most of your meals in the World Cafe, so you'll be able to wear what you'd wear to any buffet dinner.  Various versions of whatever you wore under your excursion clothes should be fine, and a tunic top with leggings should be fine in the sit-down restaurant venues.  It's probably less dressy than Viking Ocean, and that's not that dressy.

As for the goggles, we're taking some for the SOB boat because they say it's really windy, and my eyes water.  My husband has issues with sunlight since his LASIC, so he'll probably wear UV goggles on all the landings.  

13 hours ago, flare3192 said:

I understand your desire to pack light, but I’d hate to miss out on dinner at Manfredi’s or the Restaurant.  I’m planning to bring some nice slacks and a few sweaters.  I’m also bringing a pair of hiking/walking/tennis shoes and a pair of flats (no boots).  I bought some polarized sport sunglasses to protect from the wind and glare.

On 11/25/2022 at 11:46 AM, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Does anyone know if you ALWAYS wear the Viking provided boots when you leave the ship for every single expedition?

Trying to gauge if I need to bring hiking boots.

Hiking boots not required and would be a hinderance.  Most all Zodiac landing require wading ashore, so Viking provided rubber boots the best option.  The longest walk/hike was in the Falklands, Westpoint Island in March of 2022 on Octantis.  

• Thanks 1

We’ve arrived at the Hilton in Buenos Aires.  Polaris apparently has been having a hell of a time with it.  Some sort of bladder exploded on a zodiac while transferring passengers to the sub a couple days ago, and a woman had her leg severely broken.  The weather was too bad for a helicopter evacuation, so they turned around after only the first afternoon there and were heading back across the Drake.  The cruise was then amended to a Chilean Fjords cruise.  There’s a raging storm in the Drake right now, and Polaris got hit by some waves that came through the windows in cabins on Deck 2.  Port side I think, not sure.  Everybody was flushed out of their cabins in the night, but then those that didn’t have a damaged cabin were allowed back in. They got to Ushuaia and inspectors came on board to assess the damage, and the passengers are being sent home.  The next (at least one) cruise has been cancelled.  

Meanwhile, Octantis is heading back to Ushuaia 30+ hours early because of the weather (they haven’t had much luck with their excursions since they got there) and the passengers have been told to batten everything down in their cabins.  They left early so they can go slowly to minimize the impact of the storm.  

Such is life in the Southern Ocean I guess.  I have been hitting the Windy.com app pretty hard trying to figure out how it’s going to go for us on our December 3 Octantis departure.  I think it will be okay.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, amyr said:

We’ve arrived at the Hilton in Buenos Aires.  Polaris apparently has been having a hell of a time with it.  Some sort of bladder exploded on a zodiac while transferring passengers to the sub a couple days ago, and a woman had her leg severely broken.  The weather was too bad for a helicopter evacuation, so they turned around after only the first afternoon there and were heading back across the Drake.  The cruise was then amended to a Chilean Fjords cruise.  There’s a raging storm in the Drake right now, and Polaris got hit by some waves that came through the windows in cabins on Deck 2.  Port side I think, not sure.  Everybody was flushed out of their cabins in the night, but then those that didn’t have a damaged cabin were allowed back in. They got to Ushuaia and inspectors came on board to assess the damage, and the passengers are being sent home.  The next (at least one) cruise has been cancelled.  

Meanwhile, Octantis is heading back to Ushuaia 30+ hours early because of the weather (they haven’t had much luck with their excursions since they got there) and the passengers have been told to batten everything down in their cabins.  They left early so they can go slowly to minimize the impact of the storm.  

Such is life in the Southern Ocean I guess.  I have been hitting the Windy.com app pretty hard trying to figure out how it’s going to go for us on our December 3 Octantis departure.  I think it will be okay.  

Thank you so very much for this detailed post.

I really popped in to say that we’re at the Hilton with thunderstorms rolling in, so have plenty of time to answer any questions, but then I got all gossipy.  I’ll post more if we hear anything.  There are a couple of Viking agents in the lobby that are going to be busy.  We also saw buses near Casa Rosada earlier from the Viking Jupiter, so lots going on here.  

PS - I think the damage was on Decks 2 and 3, port side.  

Edited by amyr