Cabin category advice

Jacqueline

I am totally new to  Viking Ocean cruises, although I have taken dozens of cruises with many different lines over the past twenty years.

I am looking was ahead to 2023 (I had 2022 booked years ahead with Hapag Lloyd cruiseline on their expedition ship of the Russian Far East to Alaska. Rarely offered on their English speaking ship).

Today they are running a free air special. Is it worth grabbing now, or should I sit tight? 
also in looking at cabin categories, I was hard pressed to see any substantive differences amongst the lower levels of choices. The bathrooms aren’t any larger (no tub) and the size differences don’t seem to yield much more comfort.

Is it possible to book some sort of veranda now and upgrade a cabin category later, or is that considered a cancellation and rebooking?

Many thanks for any input. 

All of the cabins are identical for Veranda and DV.  The only difference is location, amenities in the room (including how they refill the soda in your minibar fridge) and access to restaurants and tours.  The next category that has a substantial increase in size is Penthouse Veranda.  The bathroom is identical, the cabin 60 sq ft larger.  There is more drawer space, as it includes a credenza.   They also include alcohol in your minibar and earlier booking for restaurants and tours.

Most of our cruises have been in DV.  The added value we have found with the DV over the V was we DID take advantage of the drinks provided in the minibar.  Drinks are replaced daily with DV, at a charge with V.  As we do not order the drinks package, it’s easy enough to grab a soda to go to the lounger.  

I have upgraded a cabin, both on river and ocean cruises.  We have only paid the difference in cabin price.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, this is very helpful!  I don’t drink alcohol... I don’t see anything that makes me yearn for the larger cabin.

For example, on the QM the suites had nice walk in closets and a bathtub. Another 60ft in the room is just more places for my husband to drape stuff..

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Haha 1

V's do not have a coffee maker but we always have the maker removed so we have an extra shelf.  We get the drink package so don't care that the mini bar is not refilled.  Although the WC have the mini bar include full size liquor bottles/ wine during the cruise was lovely....and the nuts and candy....oh how spoiled we became!!!

We have had both a DV and a PV cabin.  The last cruise was in a PV and the extra room and layout was delightful.  Even though you do not drink I don't believe the mini bar is replenished for free in a DV.  You also get earlier access to booking excursions and the specialty restaurants with a PV  cabin

8 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

Today they are running a free air special.

That deal has been running all month and today was the last day to book. Free air was only for selected dates on selected itineraries. A new series of specials will appear in the next day or two for the entire month of February. If you don't have your heart set on a particular cabin on a particular sailing of a particular itinerary, you may do just as well by not rushing to book now but by bidding your time until you see what you want. The booking deals change on the first of the month and are visible on the website by the second of the month; some deals may be carried over to the next month but you never know until things are posted at the beginning of the new month.

As for cabin, I am a die-hard DV/V aficionado. Why spend the extra money on a cabin I am hardly ever in awake. I don't worry about storage because we don't pack that much -- no formal nights and whatever we pack for day wear can be worn to dinner as well -- or maybe I should say that whatever we pack for dinner can be worn for day as well. I have never had trouble booking the shorex or dinner reservations that I have wanted. I prefer a low deck centrally located and that is where the cheapest cabins on the ship.

I have even gone as far as booking two one-week cruises as "Veranda Guaranteed" agreeing to take whichever cabin Viking assigned me. Both times we lucked out were assigned DV4 cabins.  I don't know if I would do it a longer cruise but for a week (and earplugs), I could put up with anything. Truthfully, it doesn't matter what cabin you are in because once you walk out that door everyone is treated as if they are traveling in the Owner's Suite.

That is not to say that there no cabins that should be avoided. Cabins in the 350s get the noise from the disco and the cabins at the bow on Deck 3 can get noise from the Theater, especially in the morning when the excursions are mustering there and during the performances. Cabins on Deck 4 above the lifeboats can get some clanking while being raised and lowered or if they haven't been lashed down properly. Some people find Deck6 aft under the Aquavit Terrace to be noise while others say they hear nothing.

8 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

Is it possible to book some sort of veranda now and upgrade a cabin category later, or is that considered a cancellation and rebooking?

Good question. It used to be spelled out very clearly in the ticket contract exactly what actions by the guest were deemed to be a cancellation and thus considered a cancellation and a rebooking. I just read over both the Booking Terms and Conditions and the Passenger Ticket Contract (which seem to be exactly the same document) and nowhere in there could I find the paragraph that enumerated what constituted a cancellation on the part of a guest.

May I suggest that you write to tellus@vikingcruises.com and ask them. This is one of those times where it does not matter what other people say or have done; it only matters what Viking says the policy is.  "But they told me Cruise Critic" will be of no help if "they" have gotten it wrong.

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:
20 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

Today they are running a free air special.

Just checked the website. Viking is still offering up to free air, but there are some changes from the January offer. I took advantage and rebooked my 2022 Iceland cruise. This month, that cruise still offers free air - but the cruise fare increased $300pp for a V2. Plus, V2s are sold out. Glad I acted last month.

I am (or hope to be) in a V1 cabin on the Viking Homeland cruise departing Stockholm on August 18. I have done both V and PV previously on Viking Star. I noticed that there was a few PV cabins available a few weeks ago, so I enquired through my agent what the extra cost would be.

They came back with the full (UK) brochure price difference of £2,400 for the two of us. Whilst my holiday pot is fuller than normal due to cancelled trips, I personally could not justify this extra expense, even for the extra space on a 14 night trip.

I have done both V and PV previously and whilst the advance speciality restaurant booking is useful, obtaining reservations on embarkation, is just one of the jobs that needs to be done. Booking excursions have never been a problem.

A small top up of my OBC will get me the drinks package, so no need to worry too much about the mini bar situation.

I agree with the excellent comments from Peregrina651 above that once on board, I have always felt we are treated all equal.

We are "budget luxury" travelers, and the Veranda cabins suit our budget and the Viking experience provides all the luxury we need. We would rather take the least expensive cabin and put the difference towards the next cruise. With no advance reservations in the specialty restaurants and as the last to book excursions, we have not always been able to secure exactly the tour/dining slots we wanted. Honestly, though, disappointments have been very few in that regard.

We love that every cabin has a veranda, the included wine at lunch and dinner is usually all we want, and an occasional drink at the bar is quite modestly priced.

Everyone has their own expectations of what they need to make them happy when on vacation, and Viking seems to have most of those options available.

Hope you enjoy Viking as much as we do, and that we can resume the adventure someday soon.

• Like 4

Lackcreativity stated all my thoughts to a “t” except we have never had any issues with getting dinner reservations or excursions we desired.  I will add a couple of things to keep in mind if you end up in a lowly “V”.

Unlike a “DV” the sodas in the fridge are not replenished, however if you ask during lunch hours at one of the bars for your pop of choice, they will hand it to you.  Once we discovered this, we quickly learned to refill the fridge ourselves. 

On 3 of our 4 cruises we have received an offer to upgrade a week or two before sailing. This offer typically has worked out to be 50% of the cost difference between what we paid and the cost of the upgraded stateroom’s brochure price.  Sometimes this is a deal, other times not so much in our opinion. 

For example, we caught a great promotion on one of our transatlantics which was sold for $1999pp for a V.  Just before sailing we were offered an upgrade to a PV but the cost difference was almost $1000pp due to the low initial cost we paid. However, when we sailed on the Far Eastern Discovery cruise, the stateroom price we paid was not reduced (instead the promo was “free” air and a double category upgrade). So officially we had paid for a DV.  The offer we received (and accepted) to upgrade to a PV was only $199pp. We decided that for less than $17pp per day we would see for ourselves if the PV was worth it. Unfortunately, DH and I came to different conclusions.  He loved the sofa and a bit more space. For me it was worth the amount we paid but not paying full price for it. 

Hope you will find Viking as wonderful as we have. We are hopeful that they won’t change much as we move into a new post 🤞 COVID world. 

• Like 3

My wife had reserved a Penthouse Veranda for the Northern Lights tour.  In the past we had done DV, but I think she had some credits to use and did the PV..... On board Cruise Certificate... or something like that.  When the Northern Lights was cancel I changed to Viking homeland and have my daughter's husband on this trip.  Kept the PV.   If I am reading correctly not a huge difference... maybe get the shore excursion sooner and booze in the mini fridge?

Just a FYI is was a little bit of a process after my wife passed away to change the Certificate from her name into mine.  Had to write several letters and get Corporate approval.  Not just a call to the Viking Rep.  Lesson.... be careful with your on board Cruise Certificate.

In addition to the earlier date to prebook excursions and dining as well as Daily refills of mini bottles, soda and snacks, the PV stateroom is larger than the Vs or DVs. It includes a dresser under the TV and a sofa and chair rather than just two chairs. The closet is located near the door to the hall (across from the bathroom) which makes it much easier to use since it’s not butted up to one side of the bed.   And because it’s wider, the balcony is larger. 

oh, almost forgot-you will also be able to have complimentary shoeshiner and ironing.  I loved not having to fold laundry after we did it in the launderette-just stuffed it into the bag and it came back the next day hung or folded and wrinkle free!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Lackcreativity stated all my thoughts to a “t” except we have never had any issues with getting dinner reservations or excursions we desired.  I will add a couple of things to keep in mind if you end up in a lowly “V”.

I didn't mean to imply it was a significant issue. More like we wanted to dine at 7:00 but couldn't get a reservation until 8:15, or we would have gone to Manfredi's three times on our 15 day cruise but could only get two reservations, or our second visit to the Chef's Table was for a menu different from the one we most wanted. These are just examples, and not things that happened all on the same cruise. Minor, minor issues for us.

As far as excursions, it is the same type of thing: might need to take the afternoon excursion instead of the morning one, or was shut out initially until Viking added extra spots. Only once were we unable to go on an excursion we wanted, and the one we booked instead was terrific. 

You might say we are easy to please on vacation, and I would not deny it. I appreciate a lower cost option that still leaves us feeling that we have been treated like first class!

• Like 2

On 1/31/2021 at 10:26 PM, Peregrina651 said:

That deal has been running all month and today was the last day to book. Free air was only for selected dates on selected itineraries. A new series of specials will appear in the next day or two for the entire month of February. If you don't have your heart set on a particular cabin on a particular sailing of a particular itinerary, you may do just as well by not rushing to book now but by bidding your time until you see what you want. The booking deals change on the first of the month and are visible on the website by the second of the month; some deals may be carried over to the next month but you never know until things are posted at the beginning of the new month.

As for cabin, I am a die-hard DV/V aficionado. Why spend the extra money on a cabin I am hardly ever in awake. I don't worry about storage because we don't pack that much -- no formal nights and whatever we pack for day wear can be worn to dinner as well -- or maybe I should say that whatever we pack for dinner can be worn for day as well. I have never had trouble booking the shorex or dinner reservations that I have wanted. I prefer a low deck centrally located and that is where the cheapest cabins on the ship.

I have even gone as far as booking two one-week cruises as "Veranda Guaranteed" agreeing to take whichever cabin Viking assigned me. Both times we lucked out were assigned DV4 cabins.  I don't know if I would do it a longer cruise but for a week (and earplugs), I could put up with anything. Truthfully, it doesn't matter what cabin you are in because once you walk out that door everyone is treated as if they are traveling in the Owner's Suite.

That is not to say that there no cabins that should be avoided. Cabins in the 350s get the noise from the disco and the cabins at the bow on Deck 3 can get noise from the Theater, especially in the morning when the excursions are mustering there and during the performances. Cabins on Deck 4 above the lifeboats can get some clanking while being raised and lowered or if they haven't been lashed down properly. Some people find Deck6 aft under the Aquavit Terrace to be noise while others say they hear nothing.

Good question. It used to be spelled out very clearly in the ticket contract exactly what actions by the guest were deemed to be a cancellation and thus considered a cancellation and a rebooking. I just read over both the Booking Terms and Conditions and the Passenger Ticket Contract (which seem to be exactly the same document) and nowhere in there could I find the paragraph that enumerated what constituted a cancellation on the part of a guest.

May I suggest that you write to tellus@vikingcruises.com and ask them. This is one of those times where it does not matter what other people say or have done; it only matters what Viking says the policy is.  "But they told me Cruise Critic" will be of no help if "they" have gotten it wrong.

We recently upgraded a cabin on a Viking cruise with no problem. Just had to pay the price difference when we made the change.

On 2/2/2021 at 8:33 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Unlike a “DV” the sodas in the fridge are not replenished, however if you ask during lunch hours at one of the bars for your pop of choice, they will hand it to you.  Once we discovered this, we quickly learned to refill the fridge ourselves. 

On 3 of our 4 cruises we have received an offer to upgrade a week or two before sailing. This offer typically has worked out to be 50% of the cost difference between what we paid and the cost of the upgraded stateroom’s brochure price.  Sometimes this is a deal, other times not so much in our opinion. 

For example, we caught a great promotion on one of our transatlantics which was sold for $1999pp for a V.  Just before sailing we were offered an upgrade to a PV but the cost difference was almost $1000pp due to the low initial cost we paid. However, when we sailed on the Far Eastern Discovery cruise, the stateroom price we paid was not reduced (instead the promo was “free” air and a double category upgrade). So officially we had paid for a DV.  The offer we received (and accepted) to upgrade to a PV was only $199pp. We decided that for less than $17pp per day we would see for ourselves if the PV was worth it. Unfortunately, DH and I came to different conclusions.  He loved the sofa and a bit more space. For me it was worth the amount we paid but not paying full price for it. 

Hope you will find Viking as wonderful as we have. We are hopeful that they won’t change much as we move into a new post 🤞 COVID world. 

Thats a great idea on the sodas!  can you tell me if they are cans or bottles and im assuming they are unopened?   thank you! new to Viking,

7 hours ago, red4u2 said:

Thank you!   just now starting to my plan my first cruise with Viking!    looking at river cruising also!

im usually Princess cruiser.

We spent almost 40 years with P&O/Princess until our last cruise with them in 2015. We are now very happy with Vking. I suspect you will NOT be disappointed with the superior Viking experience.

If you are interested in some of the comparisons, you can check out blog, with daily reports on the 2015 Princess World Cruise and also the 2020 Viking World Cruise. I also have a few specific posts comparing the experiences.

Please note our blog is only a record of our travels and is not moneterised.

www.AndyandJudi.com

• Like 1

10 hours ago, red4u2 said:

Thats a great idea on the sodas!  can you tell me if they are cans or bottles and im assuming they are unopened?   thank you! new to Viking,

When we did it we were walking by and just asked for a couple of unopened cans...which we were handed with a smile. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We spent almost 40 years with P&O/Princess until our last cruise with them in 2015. We are now very happy with Vking. I suspect you will NOT be disappointed with the superior Viking experience.

If you are interested in some of the comparisons, you can check out blog, with daily reports on the 2015 Princess World Cruise and also the 2020 Viking World Cruise. I also have a few specific posts comparing the experiences.

Please note our blog is only a record of our travels and is not moneterised.

www.AndyandJudi.com

thank you so much! i sure will.

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

When we did it we were walking by and just asked for a couple of unopened cans...which we were handed with a smile. 

That's wonderful!   a great way to save hundreds!   I can live without in room coffee and binoculars, room service for coffee and I have my own binoculars. and doesn't seem to be too many problems with reservations for dinner or excursions.  thank you so much!

• Like 1

Personally I think the extra cost of PV is worth it.  We were in DV on our first Viking cruise to Alaska.  We booked late and it was only category left.  We were constantly in each other’s way!  Really difficult getting to the wardrobe.  Kept falling over the stupid little table.  And I didn’t find the chairs comfortable.  Sofa was much better.  

I spend quite a lot of time on the balcony, especially at sea, so the cabin matters to me!  

The alcohol isn't a factor for me.  Viking is one of the few cruise lines that lets you take alcohol on board so we just went to a liquor store.

Viv 

I don’t disagree with you about the little table. We solved that by following the advice of a YouTuber-Jim Zim.  If you rearrange the chairs so the are 90° to each other there is room between/behind them in the corner for the table.  It really opens up the floor space. There is a screen shot pasted below or you can watch his video here:

The closet wasn’t a real issue for us, we just never tried to both use it at the same time. Not that much difference than in a PV since we tend to use opposite ends of the closet to separate our clothes so with the by-passing doors really only one can gain access at a time. 

My husband agrees with you about the comfort of the couch but I found the chairs just as comfortable. 

All in all, for the $1000 per person savings between a V and a PV, we are just fine having the extra $2000 in our pocket. But that’s why they offer differ categories for different folks’ needs. 

DE39D364-1E6E-43A3-A80E-E1CA8030667E.jpeg

• Like 2